Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Loaded Chamber

Donut Aficionado is offline The Hillbilly Warlord
    Verified LEO

Loaded Chamber

There is a discussion between me and my Sgt, it concerns the possibility that there are municipal agancies in the United States that prohibit an officer from chambering a round in his/her weapon until it is drawn for the purpose of shooting someone.

I bet him that aside from a select few Dept. of the Army posts that no civilian agency has this rule.

Can anybody tell me if they know of any agency that has an empty chamber policy?

Also, any Canadian Police, do you chamber or not, he says most Canadian Police are empty chamber too, citing the RCMP's.
    Insert witty comment and disclaimer here.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I've never heard of one in this area. If an officer was caught without one in their duty pistol they would probably be looking at days on the beach
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    If I saw anyone doing that, I'd correct it.

I used to be "corrected" by Marines when I was on duty as an Air Force Cop - they'd rag on me for not having the 'safety' on with my Beretta M9.

I used to enjoy that chuckle until I found out the Army boys carried hammer down on an empty.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Verified LEO
    Yeah, I was one of those empty chamber Army guys. Something I have always hated about the military, they teach you to hit a paper target, but now how to handle a weapon.

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Before my flying days in the Coast Guard, I was a boat jockey, when we did boardings we never had one in the chamber. Looking back, damn that was dumb, but I guess a past or maybe still present military thing.
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    I worked with a guy at my old department who carried his Glock with an empty chamber. However, we all believed he used his skull to store old rags or something, and not just because of that fact.

Other than that, no, I don't know of any.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Never heard of it.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Kimble is offline Fact: sharks love cheeseburgers
    Verified LEO
    An off-duty ICE agent was murdered when he wasn't able to react as quickly as needed with his firearm due to no round being chambered: Assistant SAC David Gray Wilhelm, United States Department of Homeland Security - Immigration and Customs Enforcement - Office of Investigations
    "I'm the only one in this room, that I know of, professional enough carry this Glock 40." -Lee Paige, DEA (just before shooting himself in the leg)

"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed" Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Almost as bad as the old wheelgun practice of keeping (a pin-blocked) hammer down on an empty cylinder. The reason I say 'almost', is at least with the revolver you could still pull the trigger and go 'bang'.

Any department requiring an empty chamber on a semi-auto must want that chamber to represent the head of the administrator making such decisions.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Verified LEO
    Never heard of putting the firing pin down on an empty chamber on a double action revolver. With a traditional single action revolver that's what you need to do to keep from shooting yourself.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

berserk is offline The reason they do psych evals
    Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    I've never heard of a department that requires an empty chamber (not even the two shitty departments I worked for early in my career, and you don't get much more backwards than that particular small town). At my department, it's a policy violation if you don't top off your magazine after you put a round in the chamber.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesCopPodz View Post
    Never heard of putting the firing pin down on an empty chamber on a double action revolver. With a traditional single action revolver that's what you need to do to keep from shooting yourself.
    That's why he said pin block

The OLD single actions did it that way, but even those that are of modern manufacture no longer require the practice.

Load one, skip one, load four, cock, decock onto empty.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO
    not here.

One of my supervisors did contract work in Iraq. When they issued him a pistol he jacked a round in. They had a shit fit, made him go to one of those "shooting buckets" and made him take it out. Said once he got by himself he made it hot again.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    That's why he said pin block

The OLD single actions did it that way, but even those that are of modern manufacture no longer require the practice.

Load one, skip one, load four, cock, decock onto empty.

US Firearms and Cimarron are two modern companies making decent quality guns that you still have to put the pin down on an empty chamber. I believe the modern Colt SAA's still require you do it as well, but I'm not certain. I'm positive about the US and Cimarron guns though, they both still use the old safety notch system

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesCopPodz View Post
    US Firearms and Cimarron are two modern companies making decent quality guns that you still have to put the pin down on an empty chamber. I believe the modern Colt SAA's still require you do it as well, but I'm not certain. I'm positive about the US and Cimarron guns though, they both still use the old safety notch system
    Learned something, thank you.

I figured they all followed suit when Ruger and folks like Bowen went to the pin block.

Reps.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    I think it's stupid that the MPs and such can't carry hot. If there's a civilian cop that's not carrying hot -- they should raise hell with their agency, because you don't have time when someone's shooting at you to deal with a gun that needs to be racked...

I know some agencies that have set policies on whether or not to top off after making the gun hot, so that, if there's a shooting, they know whether or not you had 15 or 16 rounds in the gun, and can deduce how many shots you fired from that. That's reasonable -- though my view would be that the policy should be TO top off!
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    No one I know of. I tried that one time in practice draws just to see how much time it took, and sort of sprained my wrist - I twisted it wrong, it got weak and hurt for days. The Glock 22 can be pretty hard to put one in the chamber with a full magazine.

i tried it with my hainds oily, and just couldn't realiably rack the slide, even with the serations.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Verified LEO
    My Sgt still feels there are agencies that do not allow a loaded chamber, but cant tell me of one I can contact. He's kind of a moron, only ever been a cop here at the VA Medical Center, been here for almost 30 years and is not trusted to run anything more than a midnight shift.

He says its for liability reasons, its an extra step to make sure you intend to shoot the bad guy......again, moron.

berserk is offline The reason they do psych evals
    Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut Aficionado View Post
    My Sgt still feels there are agencies that do not allow a loaded chamber, but cant tell me of one I can contact. He's kind of a moron, only ever been a cop here at the VA Medical Center, been here for almost 30 years and is not trusted to run anything more than a midnight shift.

He says its for liability reasons, its an extra step to make sure you intend to shoot the bad guy......again, moron.
    Does your sgt have a round in the chamber?

Switchback is offline Not just another POD
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut Aficionado View Post

Anyone who says the "feel" one way or another, cannot offer any examples to corroborate their opinion AND still refuses to consider alternatives really is a moron.

There is that funny thing about not putting your finger on the trigger until you are sure you "intend to shoot the bad guy."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information