Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Radar is offline We all bleed blue
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO

Brotherhood, Sisterhood, or Family?

In this day and age when more and more women are joining the ranks of law enforcement, do you just say family or do you still say brotherhood? Not trying to be politically correct or anything, just wondering.

I still notice a lot of reference to "the brotherhood" and just wondered what others thoughts on this are. Are we still a brotherhood even though women have joined our ranks, or keeping them in mind do you know think to yourself that "we're all family" or do you still think "we're all brothers" including women?

Women in law enforcement, what are your thoughts on this? Or have you abandoned us men and have started your own law enforcement sisterhood?
    Here Speeder, Speeder, Speeder

"Oderint dum metuant" - Caligula

"How come you only call me when someone's dead?"

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    In my opinion the term brotherhood is relatively generic,more like a third person terminology

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm down to an aunt, 2 cousins, and their children whom I am not able to see on a regular basis. I still utilize the term brotherhood in a generic sense but, as sappy as it sounds, you guys and gals are much more like family to me. I know, sounds strange.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Brotherhood is in my opinion the strongest bond there is, we believe in right and try our best to live up to belonging in the Brotherhood. It is a generic term, just like the men/women in blue, just means Police.......... I recall my first job in law enforcement was in a small south Louisiana city, the chief talked to all the cops in this small city and to this day I regard him as one of the best cops I have ever met. Well back to my story, we have a meeting, all 12 of us, he speaks of holding yourself up to all the ones that would do harm to us. He looks at us and says, "I would gladly die for anyone of you, because I know all of you would do the same for me. That is what BROTHERHOOD is any officer would sacrifice to help/save a fellow officer, that officer being their best friend or a total stranger. Because we are the ones in blue, who believe to our dieing breath that this Brotherhood must go on.
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Kimble is offline Fact: sharks love cheeseburgers
    Verified LEO
    I don't buy into the brotherhood thing, personally. Did for a while, but after about 5 years in LE, it's gone by the wayside.

That's not to say I don't believe in backing up my fellow officer, and possibly lying my life down for one, I absolutely do. I just don't look at "all cops" as brothers/sisters/whatever. We're people who do a job. Our job is dangerous, and sometimes calls for us to make sacrifices in dangerous situations (like the military), but having dealt with good cops, bad cops, and just plain lazy cops, I don't see us all as a brotherhoods because I don't see that exhibited in all cops. Rather, it's a job, and I take pride in doing it the best I can because I enjoy it, and back up other officers because that's what I'd expect in return.

Maybe I'm just jaded.
    "I'm the only one in this room, that I know of, professional enough carry this Glock 40." -Lee Paige, DEA (just before shooting himself in the leg)

"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed" Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    We love you anyway.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Kimble..geesh..jaded after 5 years

I believe in the Brotherhood for what it stands for...a band of those that believe that good will always trump evil. Is it "just a job"..sure it is a job...but there arent many jobs where you would lay down your life for another..whether they be stranger, a friend or another in uniform (whether you like him or not). Is it idealistic? Sure. But I, for one, chose to believe any way.

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    "The Family" kinda sounds like we are all mobbed up or something....

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Brotherhood in my book is anyone in our LEO community.

I dont care if you are a woman or a dog, if you are LEO, you are in!

I am going to kick ass and chew bubble gum just the same with a female officer as a male officer.

We are in this together, and I will have your back.

I cant say I will like everyone as a person but I will always have their back (Of course unless they are commiting a crime, ex. theft, etc)
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

berserk is offline The reason they do psych evals
    Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    I've heard "brotherhood" and "family" used interchangeably.

Big, dysfunctional family....

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    the lesbians in my department refer to other lesbians within the department as "family"...
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tapout View Post
    the lesbians in my department refer to other lesbians within the department as "family"...

It seems like "brotherhood" is more common in smaller agencies (fewer then 100 officers) then with others from what I've seen. Around here every officer/deputy knows everyone else.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimble View Post
    I don't buy into the brotherhood thing, personally. Did for a while, but after about 5 years in LE, it's gone by the wayside.

That's not to say I don't believe in backing up my fellow officer, and possibly lying my life down for one, I absolutely do. I just don't look at "all cops" as brothers/sisters/whatever. We're people who do a job. Our job is dangerous, and sometimes calls for us to make sacrifices in dangerous situations (like the military), but having dealt with good cops, bad cops, and just plain lazy cops, I don't see us all as a brotherhoods because I don't see that exhibited in all cops. Rather, it's a job, and I take pride in doing it the best I can because I enjoy it, and back up other officers because that's what I'd expect in return.

Maybe I'm just jaded.
    I half agree with you on this one. I think that the "brotherhood" mentality when it comes to not being a buddy f*&cker in the station or sometimes professional courtesy outside of your dept is not really as it use to be. But when it comes to the S hitting the fan time there is little doubt that everyone no matter where they are, we would be looking out for one another. That is the "brotherhood" that should never change.

There are times when I get frustrated (be it from within my dept, or BS outside). and I say to myself "it is just a job". But then I always remind myself that no matter where I am, on duty or off duty, I feel a sense of pride and responsibility to uphold the values and always defend my profession.

Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    It's brotherhood in my book!
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

Thread Information