Welcome to the APBWeb.
    futurele19 is offline Rookie

Height Requirements

Hi Everyone, My first post here. First off, thanks for having this forum for allowing us to discuss these matters.

I wanted to get the opinion of folks here on if there is any height requirements for being a Law Enforcement Officer. I am only 5'4. I am a Hispanic male with a B.S. degree with honors. I am fluent in Spanish, English, and French. Very fit, active and exercise daily. I was thinking about applying to Federal as well as City Law Enforcement positions but think my height will be a negative. HAve you all had smaller frame males in your departments, trainings, boot camp, etc?

What do you all think? Comments?

Thanks

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by futurele19 View Post
    Hi Everyone, My first post here. First off, thanks for having this forum for allowing us to discuss these matters.

I wanted to get the opinion of folks here on if there is any height requirements for being a Law Enforcement Officer. I am only 5'4. I am a Hispanic male with a B.S. degree with honors. I am fluent in Spanish, English, and French. Very fit, active and exercise daily. I was thinking about applying to Federal as well as City Law Enforcement positions but think my height will be a negative. HAve you all had smaller frame males in your departments, trainings, boot camp, etc?

What do you all think? Comments?

Thanks

Your shortness of stature shouldn't have any ill effects on getting hired or doing the job for that matter. I know several officers your size and they were hired without question, and perform the job the same as everyone else.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Not like it used to be. You being fluent in Spanish will be a big plus. The height thing is something old guys told me used to be an unofficial requirment back in the day. Apply away. One of our newest hires was from Cuba. He is smaller in stature, but his Spanish is a huge benefit to our agency.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I don't know of any agency around here that has a height requirement.

Where is Lew when you need him??
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    I don't know of any agency around here that has a height requirement.

Where is Lew when you need him??
    I was thinking the same thing

matter of fact I've got a really good friend who's 5-3, he's gonna be on motors (second on the list) and our guys ride Harley Road Kings... keep telling him he's gonna have to get platform boots to be able to touch the ground

I love having the smaller frames around - it's someone who can get into those hard to reach places

good luck
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I'm the tiniest guy on my dept (weight, not height) and have not had any issues.

I'm not aware of any depts with a minimum height requirement.

In the 50's my dept. required you be at least 5'9"...but that's obviously since been thrown out the window.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Ask and ye shall receive. I am here.
    Now. If every single department on the face of the earth would throw out most of their requirements and settle for a requirement of commonsense the face of law enforcement would be better off.
    I'm kidding. Although requirements are necessary in some instances height requirements are not. I have never been on the "normal" growth path. I am 5'3" so you have me by an inch. I do not know of any departments that have a height requirement. However you can and may be dismissed for your height, it will be stated as something else. Applying in places with civil service helps but is not a sure thing. As I once had a Chief tell me I can hire and fire anyone I want as long as I am willing to challenge the board.
    There is not a lot of enforcement issues that I have not been involved in and by the end of this year I'll have a total of 18 in. I have no formal college, no honors and no second language. If I can have accomplished what I have in my career then you should be able to also. Just stick to your guns.
    When I first began applying to agencies I went through 14 before I found one that would hire me and it was primarily corrections. It took quite a few attempts before someone would come right out and tell me that it was between local politics and my height that kept me from being hired. At first I was extremely disappointed and angry at being disregared for my height. I just sucked it up and kept at it.
    Outside of corrections my first trial at law enforcement was as a reserve officer. It was all I could get. However it gave me the chance to prove myself. And prove yourself you may have to do. If that happens to you don't become irritated, just do it because you will be tested. Officers that have you as backup will, in no uncertain circumstances, want to know you are willing to engage a suspect. Suspects will test you to see if they can handle you. Stand your ground and handle your business. All sorts of people will expect you to be defensive about your height and try to get a rise out of you. Kid and joke about it but don't get mad. Don't get pissy you can't change what you are and that is short. Have fun with it.
    I've seen some really large individuals who were dumb as a rock and some small stature persons who couldn't handle picking up an empty box. You have other attributes so don't be afraid to use them. My point is don't allow your height dictate what you do. Make your own way and stand on your own two feet. Even if you're two feet below the average person. If a department is stupid enough to dismiss you due to your height then you don't want to work there anyway.
    Good luck and keep us posted.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    There's nothing wrong with being short. personally, I'm only 5'16" and I've never had a problem!
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    The only height that matters is how tall your heart is.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    We have guys and gals your size and smaller.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

ANI4ANI is offline Served my city 1972-1997
    Verified LEO
    Height and weight requirements were required in my day of hiring. But, they have been lifted from most municipalities. Can you say, LAW SUIT? No war stories today regarding short officers working the street; I'll leave my personal comments out of print. Nonetheless, with your language background and college degree, I'd try the federal end of law enforcement first. Good luck.
    As today's police officers you are not unlike your counterparts of years past. You are an elite group of select members, a brotherhood of highly trained professionals, who are called upon to protect your community in a time of need. Guardians for safety. Being a police officer is not for the faint of heart. You must be honest, trustworthy and fearless in the face of evil. You are being watched everyday. Represent yourself, your department and the shield, for it should always be the embodiment of all that is good and justly. You are the thin blue line. Be proud, be tough and be safe.

MonsterMash is offline Proud 3%er
    Well....like I always used to say: We need the short, speedy guys to slow the perps down long enough for the bulls to get there and put them on their ass.
    Are you a 3%er? If you aren't, you should be.

Kimble is offline Fact: sharks love cheeseburgers
    Verified LEO
    Here's how we figure it out:

"I'm the only one in this room, that I know of, professional enough carry this Glock 40." -Lee Paige, DEA (just before shooting himself in the leg)

"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed" Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    We have one a little shorter than you, and she kicks ass.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

berserk is offline The reason they do psych evals
    Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    The only height that matters is how tall your heart is.
    I think I'm gonna be sick....

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Originally Posted by berserk
    I think I'm gonna be sick....

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Thread Information