Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Restitution?

Michelle is offline Civilian

Restitution?

My oldest son (who lives in California), just moved into his new place earlier this week and was robbed the very next day while he was at work. They totally wiped him out!
    Took everything he owned - even took his boxer briefs and food.
    However, the LEO's were awesome! They caught one of the thieves that night and the second one the next day.
    Later after the catch and arrest, an LEO contacted my son and apologized to him for the loss of things and that the thieves weren't talking where they unloaded it all. My son was happy that they got them, sickened about the loss.
    Late last night I was speaking with a non-LEO friend about the robbery and they mentioned to me there should be restitution?
    I'm not familiar with how that works.
    Would a LEO add this to a police report, a judge decide or does the victim hire an attorney to help them get restitution?
    I appreciate any suggestions and/or advice. Thank you!

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    In this area restitution is received only one of two ways. Once the case has run it's course in the courts the judge can order it. Not always done. The other way is for the victim to pursue a civil suit. Not always effective. Have your son check with the district attorneys office for a victim assistance program.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Well around these parts we have "Victims Services" which is a division of the County Attorney's office. Anyone seeking restitution at the completion of a criminal case needs to go through victims services. If a victim applies for restitution it is almost always ordered to be done by a judge (around here) unless it's unreasonable.

Also, a judge may order it even if a victim doesn't seek restitution.

One thing I always advise people, it's only done at the COMPLETION of the criminal case and even still, you have to remember you're dealing with criminals....just because they're ordered doesn't mean they're going to pay anything.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Civil suits are fine, but the defendant can still not pay the person and there is no criminal action that can be taken. The victim can go back to court and attach wages or IRS etc which can be even more costly to persue.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Same here as Lew's post. We also have something similar to what jmur posted but it is severely underfunded by the State.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mack View Post
    Civil suits are fine, but the defendant can still not pay the person and there is no criminal action that can be taken. The victim can go back to court and attach wages or IRS etc which can be even more costly to persue.
    In this State, you can go to the Sheriff with your judgement and judicially recognized non-payment, and the Sheriff will take their shit and auction it, paying you the result.

I'd be surprised if this civil function wasn't a part of most Sheriff's Offices.

Not many people pursue it from the way it has been explained to me, but wouldn't it be rewarding to deprive the little shits of their 20" wheels and bling?
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I havent' heard of that but around here our thugs ride in Grandma's ride or it belongs to the girl friend. Still a good idea though. You never know when you might get lucky.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    California District Attorneys usually have a Victim/Witness office. Check with them. Also a civil suit would be a good idea.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    In this State, you can go to the Sheriff with your judgement and judicially recognized non-payment, and the Sheriff will take their shit and auction it, paying you the result.

I'd be surprised if this civil function wasn't a part of most Sheriff's Offices.

Not many people pursue it from the way it has been explained to me, but wouldn't it be rewarding to deprive the little shits of their 20" wheels and bling?
    I know they do in WV also. Worked for an SO up there for awhile as desk clerk (long ago)...they got court orders and went in and just started grabbing stuff to sell to be able to pay back the victims. (I am sure there was more to this..and a plan of some sort but that's the gist of it)

berserk is offline The reason they do psych evals
    Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    Restitution is part of the sentence in a criminal case. The cops don't need to add anything to their report for that, but you'll want to get in touch with the prosecuting attorney ASAP to find out if this is an option for your case.

If that doesn't work out, you could always sue him as has been suggested here. I like the idea of restitution better because if they don't pay up they can get jailed for failure to comply with the conditions of their sentence. Also, that way the payments are more likely to be made to you through the court, which minimizes your contact with the thug.

Just my limited understanding from watching a few cases. I'm not all that thoroughly trained in issues like restitution and civil suits.

Michelle is offline Civilian
    I let my son know and last I heard, he was going to contact the LEO or sheriff station about it and see where to start. I'll be sure to post back here if I get of anything of interest. Thanks again, really appreciate you all taking the time!

Thread Information