Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Question Someone flips you the bird, what do you do?

Read this story and then post what you would most likely do in the given scenario:

4 O'Clock Fodder: Welcome to America, where you have the right to flip a bird to a cop | al.com

Be sure to read some of the comments too. Mine starts on page 2. I swear, stupid people just make me laugh sometimes.

4 O'Clock Fodder: Welcome to America, where you have the right to flip a bird to a cop

By Press-Register staff

March 01, 2010, 3:59PM

The Oregonian/Thomas Boyd)Robert Ekas filed a federal lawsuit to defend what he says is his First Amendment right to express himself by flipping off police officers. "I did it because I have the right to do it," Ekas said. "We all have that right, and we all need to test it. Otherwise we'll lose it."
    When Robert J. Ekas decided to exercise his right to free speech, he didn't open his mouth.

He hoisted his middle finger.

His single-digit protests, aimed at Clackamas County (Ore.) sheriff's deputies last year, resulted in verbal showdowns, traffic tickets and, ultimately, a federal lawsuit.

Giving a police officer the finger may be a rude and ill-advised gesture, but it is not against the law, legal experts say.

"The U.S. Supreme Court has consistently held that speech may not be prohibited simply because some may find it offensive," said Ira P. Robbins, a law professor from American University in Washington, D.C. "Virtually every time someone is arrested for this, assuming there's no other criminal behavior ... the case is either dismissed before trial or the person is convicted at trial and wins on appeal."

The Oregon case is reminiscent of a Mobile case that gained national attention in 2007.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Wave and drive on by.

You'll run into him later doing something stupid.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Donut Aficionado is offline The Hillbilly Warlord
    Verified LEO
    I say go ahead and flip off all the cops you want, but the next time you get robbed, carjacked or raped, call a crackhead.
    Insert witty comment and disclaimer here.

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    I say WTF....if your a lard ass liberal Oregonian, your already being punished enough.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Suspended license? Expired registration? Flip off the cop, claim retaliation, and get away with it!

American Justice at work.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    It's going to happen. I don't like it, I'm sure, as any other person. However if I pursue it I know the case will be dropped or challenged with losing results. My issue is when this or other vulgar behavior, like cursing, is done in the presence of children. Especially mine. There will be a court case then regardless.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    We should be allowed to flip the bird back.

A friend was stopped at a red light on duty in a marked car. A guy on the sidewalk started yelling, "I smell bacon!" He repeated it a bunch of times and a crowd of other people started laughing at him. As the light turned green by buddy yelled back, "I smell garbage!" That got everyone really laughing and the guy was all offended. Definitely worth a complaint.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post

A friend was stopped at a red light on duty in a marked car. A guy on the sidewalk started yelling, "I smell bacon!" He repeated it a bunch of times and a crowd of other people started laughing at him. As the light turned green by buddy yelled back, "I smell garbage!" That got everyone really laughing and the guy was all offended. Definitely worth a complaint.
    I like his style. Making people recognize stupid, as well......stupid is awesome.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Had something similar happen to a buddy. Except he inhaled loudly through his nose and responded "I smell a chicken"
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Start flipping the bird to judges that make stupid decisions.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

berserk is offline The reason they do psych evals
    Verified LEO
    Blog Entries

Nice! I'm going to have to use that...

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Wouldn't it be great if you could tell them what was on your mind like " Your Momma loves the taste of bacon! "
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    Start flipping the bird to judges that make stupid decisions.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I'm surprised no one has posted this yet - A classic

NSFW - Language!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_SmQN_LOQA"]YouTube - Don't Flip off the Police[/ame]

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    Blow them a kiss.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    Some people just demand some extra special attention and far be it for me to deny my services to them when they spend all their hard earned tax dollars to pay my salary. I will give them all their tax dollars worth everytime.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

Verified LEO
    Throw it in the memory bank for when they mess up or need help.....they will at some point.

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Wave and drive on by.

You'll run into him later doing something stupid.
    +1, don't forget to smile deviantly while waving

Quote Originally Posted by sgtbear111 View Post
    Blow them a kiss.
    Now that is really deviant!

http://www.officerresource.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic5657_1.gif
    Liberty & Justice For All!

nsb22 is offline Crazilicious
    If they are driving when they flip me off and there arm extends out the window, that is an illegal hand signal. Just saying.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."
    -- Ambrose Redmoon

The views and postings of NSB22 are in no way shared or supported by NSB22's employers.

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by nsb22 View Post
    If they are driving when they flip me off and there arm extends out the window, that is an illegal hand signal. Just saying.
    Yeppers.............;-)
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information