Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Publc intox

IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2

Publc intox

"There is no set BAC that makes for public intox. But even if there was, the media still isn't specifying that. They just say how many times the "legal limit" the person is, as though, even if in the privacy of their own home, they would be breaking the law."

there is no set bac?

I say there is, and not just judge on behaviour.

...or spelingggg

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Depends on the state law. In Virginia, the relevant code section is:
    18.2-388. Profane swearing and intoxication in public; penalty; transportation of public inebriates to detoxification center.
    If any person profanely curses or swears or is intoxicated in public, whether such intoxication results from alcohol, narcotic drug or other intoxicant or drug of whatever nature, he shall be deemed guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor. In any area in which there is located a court-approved detoxification center a law-enforcement officer may authorize the transportation, by police or otherwise, of public inebriates to such detoxification center in lieu of arrest; however, no person shall be involuntarily detained in such center.

(emphasis mine)

You'll note that for this offense, all that it requires is that the suspect be "intoxicated." There's no BAC or anything like that. Generally, for drunk in public, the magistrates want an "odor of alcoholic beverages" coupled with speech, behavior, or physical ability/coordination indicators, like a lack of balance and slurred speech. Different state laws may vary; I don't think there is an equivalent code, for example, in NY.

Often, when the press talks about being at or above the legal limit, they're generally comparing to the per se limit for DUI, which is typically a Blood Alcohol Content of .08% or .08 grams/210 liters breath. (It's works out to be the same thing...)
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

berserk is offline The reason they do psych evals
    Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    I've never heard of a PI law that includes an actual BAC. In CO, we don't have a PI statute at all. The closest thing we have is a law which allows us to take someone into protective custody if they are a danger to them self or someone else because of their level of intoxication. No mention is made in the statute of whether or not someone is in public. Dangerous levels will vary by individual, and it's more important to describe how they were endangering someone than it is to measure the alcohol in their system.

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    I will arrest someone for PI when that person is so drunk that they A) can't take care of themselves (for instance, passing out on a sidewalk outside a gas station) or B) can't stop causing problems and starting fights because they can't think like a reasonable person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

MacLean is online now O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    It would be community caretaking to detox someone who could not care for themselves, here.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    There's no public intox law here, although if you're drunk and stupid enough you'll probably break some other law.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    The smell of an alcoholic beverage and the appearance of intoxication is enough here. In reality, for most officers I know, you can be knee walking commode hugging drunk, as long as someone is taking care of you and you aren't acting a fool.

Incidentally, that law oddly includes public profanity.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    There is no BAC requirement for public intox here. Just like there is no "legal limit" for DUI here. That is a big myth also.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    an "odor of alcoholic beverages" coupled with speech, behavior, or physical ability/coordination indicators, like a lack of balance and slurred speech.
    Our state law simply says "appearing in an intoxicated condition" so the above would do.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

kjlaw is offline Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    Here is the relevent information for your area.

iowa public intoxication

Iowa Code section 123.46 prohibits an individual from being intoxicated, or simulating intoxication in a public place. There are two elements of Public Intoxication that the State must prove beyond a reasonable doubt at trial:
    1. The defendant was intoxicated; OR
    2. The defendant simulated that he/she was intoxicated; and
    3. In a public place.
    intoxication

In Iowa an individual is "intoxicated" when by drinking liquor and/or beer, one or more of the following is true:

1. His reason or mental ability has been affected;
    2. His judgment is impaired;
    3. His emotions are visibly excited;
    4. He has, to any extent, lost control of bodily actions or motions.
    public place

A "public place" is defined as "any place, building, or conveyance to which the public has or is permitted access." Included as "public places" are:
    1. Public streets, alleyways, and parking lots
    2. Steps and common hallways of apartment buildings
    3. Dormitories
    4. Bars and restaurants
    5. Stadiums, event centers etc.
    • Generally speaking any place open to the general public constitutes a "public place."
    Not included as "public places" are:
    1. Private vehicles (not public transportation)
    2. Decks or porches to residence
    3. Inside a person's apartment
    4. On private land
    Lead from the front and always remember those who came first.

Capt. Ocativo "OX" Gonzalez
    EOW 6/16/06

Always remember that a casket is hotter than your vest.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Soon the whole world will be in the hands of the Swamp Mafia.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    (emphasis mine)

You'll note that for this offense, all that it requires is that the suspect be "intoxicated." There's no BAC or anything like that. Generally, for drunk in public, the magistrates want an "odor of alcoholic beverages" coupled with speech, behavior, or physical ability/coordination indicators, like a lack of balance and slurred speech. Different state laws may vary; I don't think there is an equivalent code, for example, in NY.

Often, when the press talks about being at or above the legal limit, they're generally comparing to the per se limit for DUI, which is typically a Blood Alcohol Content of .08% or .08 grams/210 liters breath. (It's works out to be the same thing...)
    I've actually DIP'd people who were high on drugs since it's the "appearance" of intoxication and it's not limited to alcohol. They were successfully prosecuted cases too. I'm talking really spaced out though.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    I've actually DIP'd people who were high on drugs since it's the "appearance" of intoxication and it's not limited to alcohol. They were successfully prosecuted cases too. I'm talking really spaced out though.
    Yep -- and I've even DIPped someone in a residence! The definition of public is "where others can see you" and the gal was refusing to leave, but her girlfriend wasn't cooperating with a trespass charge... They were both deaf, and a friend of theirs was translating. I was there, the translator was there... so the living room became "public." It flew!

DIP in VA is often a problem solver charge. You got a guy wandering around at 2 AM, in t-shirt and jeans when the temps in the low teens, and he's going to "stay with a friend"... DIP. Someone who won't play nice with others and is gonna get his ass beat and isn't taking a hint? DIP. I've never charged anyone under the "curse profanely" provision...

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    There is no BAC requirement for public intox here. Just like there is no "legal limit" for DUI here. That is a big myth also.
    No per se limit?

Verified LEO
    I'm not sure what he's talking about -- but strictly speaking, in Virginia, the per se limit is only one way to get a DUI. It's sort of the easiest, and they've added per se levels for several drugs now. But, strictly, we can get them for Driving Under the Influence of alcohol, or of drugs, based on either the per se limits or by being able to testify to the impairment based on our observations. That's how we can win if they refuse the breath test... I think most states are similar.

MacLean is online now O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Our state law simply says "appearing in an intoxicated condition" so the above would do.
    Remind me not to visit any bars when I am down there!
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    I went from this:

Quote:
    18.2-388. Profane swearing and intoxication in public; penalty; transportation of public inebriates to detoxification center.
    If any person profanely curses or swears or is intoxicated in public, whether such intoxication results from alcohol, narcotic drug or other intoxicant or drug of whatever nature, he shall be deemed guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor. In any area in which there is located a court-approved detoxification center a law-enforcement officer may authorize the transportation, by police or otherwise, of public inebriates to such detoxification center in lieu of arrest; however, no person shall be involuntarily detained in such center.
    To this:
    In CO, we don't have a PI statute at all. The closest thing we have is a law which allows us to take someone into protective custody if they are a danger to them self or someone else because of their level of intoxication
    and my level of difficulty in handling calls went up considerably
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    I'll let one of my more popular shift guys take you to one. I'm not exactly a popular person in them if you know what I mean. I'll gladly be the ride home.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by berserk View Post
    No per se limit?
    We have two sections, 23152(a) and (b). (b) states that at 0.08 BAC you are presumed to be intoxicated. The (a) section just states "under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs". If someone blows a 0.10 and I feel they are under the influence based on my observations I actually charge them with two counts, both the (a) and (b). If someone blows a 0.04 and I feel they are under the influence based on what I've seen I charge them with just the (a) section.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post

yeah... not only what Lew said (get someone who knows the area) but that's used (at least in my area) as a proactive statute - protective (someone who's about to get whooped) or someone who's needs to get out of the area (or face more serious charges) so a quick transport to the nearest station helps that happen

don't think you'd fit into either of those categories Mac...
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    We have two sections, 23152(a) and (b). (b) states that at 0.08 BAC you are presumed to be intoxicated. The (a) section just states "under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs". If someone blows a 0.10 and I feel they are under the influence based on my observations I actually charge them with two counts, both the (a) and (b). If someone blows a 0.04 and I feel they are under the influence based on what I've seen I charge them with just the (a) section.
    Okay, so the same as basically every other state. There's DUI impairment and DUI per se. How is that different than having a legal limit?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information