Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by briank1985 View Post
    on the targets I dident see any rings on it. I will ask one of the guys at the range. So pretty much if I understand this right, I just need to make sure I can hit all rounds inside center mass on all Stations, at 45 Ft. then 21 Ft. then 9Ft below eye level. with the time do they run the first station stop the clock then 2ed station and so on?
    Most likely, they'll run each stage. My guess is that it'll probably go something like this:

The targets will start facing sideways, away from you. The range instructor will say something like "At the 15 yard line, you will have 40 seconds to fire 15 rounds from the point-shoulder or low ready. As the targets face, you will fire 15 rounds in 40 seconds. Ready on the right? Ready on the left? The line is ready..." <and the targets turn, and the shooting begins.>

After 40 seconds, the targets will turn sideways againg. Each phase will be similar, with appropriate directions.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Just remember your shooting fundamentals...worry less about time. Accuracy is more important then getting all your shots off in 2 seconds...if you have 45 seconds...take it.

Amazing what fundamentals will do for you when you remember to use them lol (that was for you pgg)

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolven View Post

Amazing what fundamentals will do for you when you remember to use them lol (that was for you pgg)
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

briank1985 is offline Rookie
    Thanks for all the pointers. I have gone shooting the past 3 days. I watched some Gun and ammo videos I had and read some stuff on the internet about sight picture trigger, and some tips. and from what I have seen on here. I was doing some things wrong so I fixed them and man I shot WAY better. I went and talked to the bailiffs and they really really want me there, so all he said was get all 45 rounds inside the center mass and your fine. Im going back to the range today. Whats the best way to control breathing? What I do, is draw my sidearm, bring it up take a deep breath let about half out hold it and then fire. Im just trying to not think about the firing pin dropping but making the shot unexpected. ITs hard. I will do fine. I think I might ask for some help from a instructor because they know im doing Qual on Monday at the same place.

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    The best advice I can give, as a former instructor, is listen to the instructor and do things exactly as they say. The worse people to qualify are people who THINK they know how to shoot. Give me a room full of people who have never touched a gun, and chances are they'll do as good as, if not better than the people with a lot of bad habits to break.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Whats the best way to control breathing? What I do, is draw my sidearm, bring it up take a deep breath let about half out hold it and then fire.
    The breath pause is great for target shooting, but don't spend a lot of time on it.

Don't spend a lot of time on anything except sight picture and trigger press at this point.

Once you have qualified you can invest in real training, but 99% of handgun shooting is sight picture and trigger press.

You will never have the perfect stance, the perfect breathing, or the perfect grip in a gunfight, but if you can manage the perfect sight picture and trigger press you can hit someone while swinging upside down from a rope.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by keith720 View Post
    The best advice I can give, as a former instructor, is listen to the instructor and do things exactly as they say. The worse people to qualify are people who THINK they know how to shoot. Give me a room full of people who have never touched a gun, and chances are they'll do as good as, if not better than the people with a lot of bad habits to break.
    And this, too.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    The breath pause is great for target shooting, but don't spend a lot of time on it.

Don't spend a lot of time on anything except sight picture and trigger press at this point.

Once you have qualified you can invest in real training, but 99% of handgun shooting is sight picture and trigger press.

You will never have the perfect stance, the perfect breathing, or the perfect grip in a gunfight, but if you can manage the perfect sight picture and trigger press you can hit someone while swinging upside down from a rope.
    To elaborate slightly on the breath, you've got 3 choices. You can breathe in, you can hold your breath, or you can breathe out. Pick one. Do the same thing every shot. Especially in a target shooting situation. I'd suggest either HOLD or EXHALE steadily through your trigger press. Holding your breath makes it easy to do it the same every time. A steady exhale matches your breath to what your trigger finger is doing.

But, most importantly, focus on acquiring and maintaining that sight picture all the way through and after your smooth trigger press. A proper sight picture has some wobble in it; we aren't bench rests, after all. Don't try to "catch" that moment when you're most on target. Once you've got the sight picture, focused on the front sight, start your trigger press. Don't stop until the trigger is all the way back... and bring the gun right back into that sight picture immediately after the shot.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

So I went back to the range today. I did OK tell I got to 45 feet. That kicked my ass. when your that far away are you worrying about getting equal light on each side of the front site ect? or just getting it level with the rear and then trigger pull? I keep going over to the left. and im jerking it down cuz im waiting for the fire. What can I do?? Im getting really nerves cuz I only have one more day on the range tell Qualify

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    So I went back to the range today. I did OK tell I got to 45 feet. That kicked my ass. when your that far away are you worrying about getting equal light on each side of the front site ect? or just getting it level with the rear and then trigger pull? I keep going over to the left. and im jerking it down cuz im waiting for the fire. What can I do?? Im getting really nerves cuz I only have one more day on the range tell Qualify
    As far as anticipating goes, I was taught a trick very early on.

Place a quarter flat on the slide towards the muzzle and practice dry firing without losing the quarter. Keep doing this over and over again after you get it. It helped me lose the anticipation of the round going off.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Tango Zulu 22 is offline Duncopperin!
    Verified LEO
    Have you tried using drill rounds?
    Get the instructor or another shooter to load your mags for you out of your view with a number of live & drill rounds randomly mixed together, that way you never know whether your next pull of the trigger will result in live fire or dry fire.
    The weapon firing should be a "mild suprise" as one of my instructors said....
    A common mistake made when trying to come up with a totally foolproof design is to completely underestimate the innate ingenuity of fools.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you but it's still there on my list of options, so are you coming quietly.........?

Yes we did this yesterday. I could see myself jerk a lot. I have been dry firing ALOT yesterday and today. I hope they will give me some kind of a brake if I mess up. I never heard of Quail. before you get hired with no training.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Take a deep breath before you shoot, and repeat this line outloud.

"All the noise, all the smoke, and all the bullets are going the other way. They can't hurt me."

Setting off a controlled explosion near your face is not a natural act, and it takes a bit of experience to overcome the body's natural reaction.

Repeat that line.
    I'm your huckleberry...

I will do so. Do you know if they ever give brakes as in we will still pass you but you will still need to work it.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I will do so. Do you know if they ever give brakes as in we will still pass you but you will still need to work it.
    Not usually Brian, but I don't want you to train that way.

You will pass if you work at it, and that is simply that.

At 45 feet, someone above already mentioned one of the big issues. It probably looks like your sights are moving ALL OVER that target, but they really aren't.

That little bit of space on either side of the front sight is a few thousands of an inch, and that movement translates to a mere three inches at 25 yards.

Focus on the front sight and press the trigger properly. Do not try and snap the trigger when you think the sight picture is centered.

You have to live with that wobble that looks big but really isnt. If your sight picture and trigger press are correct, that wobble will not cause you to miss.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Ok. What I have been doing here at home today and yesterday is I grabbed a quarter and placed it on my front site and dry fired time and time and time and time again making sure it did not fall off. ITs very hard to do. But I got it about 30 times in a row. At 21 feet I got that no problem. 9 feet no problem. the 45 Feet is the one were I keep shooting centered but to the right. Im a left handed shooter. I was told by the instructors at the range, that at 45 feet dont focus on having the site perfectly centered in the rear site. Just get it to were its level with the rear site and focus on trigger press.

Also I do were glasses for long distance seeing. Up close I can see fine. I can see my sites fine with no glasses just cant see the target AT ALL at 45 feet. Could my glasses be playing tricks on me?

Verified LEO
    Don't worry about seeing the target. You barely need to see it, and the less you see, the better you're likely to shoot. Focus on the FRONT SITE. It should be sharp and distinct. The rear sites should be less sharp, but still clear. The target? If you're really focused on the front site, it'll be blur.

I'm curious about the qualification before hiring, myself. It sort of seems like the job you're trying to get is really aimed at hiring retired cops. Lots of places do some basic manipulation tests with applicants, like putting an empty (often missing a firing pin or otherwise unable to fire even if it were accidentally loaded) gun in a tube and pulling the trigger without touching the sides of the tube. Even the places that I'm aware of that hire only experienced former cops or certified candidates (meaning they already have completed an academy) don't do a qualification as a prehire test.

I have to assume if it's a hiring qualification, it's a hiring qualification. Meaning you either pass or fail. If you're close, they may work with you and give you another chance... but I wouldn't count on it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information