Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DeezNutz View Post
    I'm not even going to get into a "who has it rougher" duel with you. That's a losing battle. Like I said, I respect the jobs you guys do. If I didn't, I'd probably had a run in with the law long before now. The earlier guys answered my questions respectfully and were very helpful, and I'll bet those guys are cops up north. Why do you have to make this some kind of joust? I see you are from Louisiana, is that the way you guys do things down there, the cops always right and whomever they decide to pick on at the time is wrong?

Your boots aren't the issue here, nor should they be. I'd just like my questions answered regarding the responsibility that the police have to rectify their mistakes. Do you guys just cover for other cops when they make false allegations and then refuse to admit error? Do you cover up when they make threats to unarmed citizens and treat honest, hardworking people like street whores and thugs?
    Sir, my suggestion is to take a deep breath.

It's easy to see feelings of rage surface when we discuss an event like this. You started out pretty reasonably, and got reasonable advice in return.

Don't let someone take your power away from you because they stirred the pot. You control your world and choose how you respond to it.

Xiphos gave you excellent advice, and I followed it up with a suggestion to employ a lawyer.

If you haven't yet made a complaint with the officer's employer and allowed them the chance to make good the young officer with some new training, a lawsuit would seem premature.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    A reminder of Terms of Service: only law enforcement members (and the original poster who asked the question) are allowed to reply to posts in this area.

JustUs has left the building, reason: Trolling and violation of ToS.

Thank you, carry on.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

cajunguy is offline I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    Awwww, come on, CB.

Could've at least let us have a little fun with him first.

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    OK, Deeznutz, let's look at this again. You come here, and give us an account that almost could have been pulled from a sitcom plot; yeah, there's likely to be some skepticism. I said I'm taking you at your word that it's true, and no less dishonest than anyone's account of their actions. In other words -- you're naturally trying to put yourself in the best light you can.

OK... You're an over-the-road trucker, and I assume you spend a lot of time on the road. Is prostitution a problem at truck stops? Hell, yes. Do jurisdictions use plainclothes officers in an attempt to disrupt this? Yep. Are some of these officers maybe more gungho and proactive than others... and maybe less careful about their judgement? Sure. Absolutely. Especially when tensions get high.

OK. Let's go through what happens. You pull in, and your girlfriend is on the way. She's not dressed to be "presentable"; she's dressed for convenience. She starts cruising the lot, looking for you or your truck. The plainclothes officer sees her, and attempts to make contact. She doesn't react immediately. His starts to get worked up; this could be GOOD! Maybe not a prostitute, maybe meth, maybe something even bigger! Meanwhile, you're girlfriend is freaking out a bit; the cops are stopping her! and she's probably got an idea what they're thinking is going on.

She finally pulls over. Sure it was only a minute or two... but that's a LONG minute or two to the cop, and to your girlfriend, too. Approaches her, and starts to find out what's going on. Meanwhile, a man-mountain truck driver walks up, and starts to hassle the cop... You're protecting your girlfriend, but he doesn't know who you are, or what's going on... just that you're sticking your nose into something. And he's alone. Let's be honest: you probably weren't the soul of meekness and mildness as you walked up to a cop harassing your girlfriend. So... things work their way through... Tensions are high, people are probably not talking or behaving like at a Sunday social, no?

End result... cop cites you both. I'm not going to try to address the charges; you need to talk to a lawyer about that.

If you aren't happy with the conduct of the cops, what you need to do is contact that department. Speak with the supervisors of either the plainclothes cop, the patrol supervisor, or both. (They may be the same person; they may be different. Depends on the operation and how the department is set up.) They may be able to explain what happened; there may be a factor you're unaware of, like a similar event the night before led to an officer being attacked. Or -- if they don't satisfy you with their response, you can make a formal complaint.

There are cops out there who overreact. There are cops out there that need either some more training, more supervision... or, in some sad cases, someone who will step up and make a formal complaint to get rid of a problem that should never have made it through the hiring process.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

DeezNutz is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    OK, Deeznutz, let's look at this again. You come here, and give us an account that almost could have been pulled from a sitcom plot; yeah, there's likely to be some skepticism. I said I'm taking you at your word that it's true, and no less dishonest than anyone's account of their actions. In other words -- you're naturally trying to put yourself in the best light you can.
    That's reasonable. I did attempt to admit my faults in that I admitted my anger, and did quote myself accurately in what I said.

OK... You're an over-the-road trucker, and I assume you spend a lot of time on the road. Is prostitution a problem at truck stops? Hell, yes. Do jurisdictions use plainclothes officers in an attempt to disrupt this? Yep. Are some of these officers maybe more gungho and proactive than others... and maybe less careful about their judgement? Sure. Absolutely. Especially when tensions get high.
    Prostitution, drugs, scams, sale of stolen goods, you name it. Truckstops can be the armpit of the world at times. For those of us who are relegated to their use, I'm very pro-LE in their attempts to hold back the tide of problems there. Tensions were high, admittedly.

OK. Let's go through what happens. You pull in, and your girlfriend is on the way. She's not dressed to be "presentable"; she's dressed for convenience. She starts cruising the lot, looking for you or your truck. The plainclothes officer sees her, and attempts to make contact. She doesn't react immediately. His starts to get worked up; this could be GOOD! Maybe not a prostitute, maybe meth, maybe something even bigger! Meanwhile, you're girlfriend is freaking out a bit; the cops are stopping her! and she's probably got an idea what they're thinking is going on.
    Probably the most beautiful thing about her is that she honestly didn't have a clue as to why the cop was dealing with her. She's just that naive. I had to tell her afterward, and when she realized what was really suspected, she cried. Like I said, she's a schoolteacher. Very sheltered, unfortunately. Maybe that's yet another reason it threw me so badly. She was absolutely clueless.

She finally pulls over. Sure it was only a minute or two... but that's a LONG minute or two to the cop, and to your girlfriend, too. Approaches her, and starts to find out what's going on. Meanwhile, a man-mountain truck driver walks up, and starts to hassle the cop... You're protecting your girlfriend, but he doesn't know who you are, or what's going on... just that you're sticking your nose into something. And he's alone. Let's be honest: you probably weren't the soul of meekness and mildness as you walked up to a cop harassing your girlfriend. So... things work their way through... Tensions are high, people are probably not talking or behaving like at a Sunday social, no?
    You are making me think about this. That's a good thing. I really didn't know the reason for the cop stopping her myself until I got within earshot of them and heard the "dressed like that..." comment, then I caught on. Even still, I did say "Excuse me, sir, but that's my..." and was met by the threat. I never used the term "harrassment", because that is so often misused. Honestly, I considered it an investigation, and even reasonable, right up to the point that he absolutely dismissed any possibility other than she was a prostitute and I was like a pimp trying to protect my property. That to me, was demeaning, and I'll give you that I would apply "harrassment" at the time he went for handcuffs on a very confused schoolteacher. You are exactly right, I lost my Sunday manners in that instant.

End result... cop cites you both. I'm not going to try to address the charges; you need to talk to a lawyer about that.
    I understand.

If you aren't happy with the conduct of the cops, what you need to do is contact that department. Speak with the supervisors of either the plainclothes cop, the patrol supervisor, or both. (They may be the same person; they may be different. Depends on the operation and how the department is set up.) They may be able to explain what happened; there may be a factor you're unaware of, like a similar event the night before led to an officer being attacked. Or -- if they don't satisfy you with their response, you can make a formal complaint.
    Indeed. There is a process to it, one I should pursue.

There are cops out there who overreact. There are cops out there that need either some more training, more supervision... or, in some sad cases, someone who will step up and make a formal complaint to get rid of a problem that should never have made it through the hiring process.
    There's good and bad in every line of work. I agree. There are even some not-so-good truck drivers out there, (I know that's hard to believe). I chose this work, even though I'm degreed to do something else, because of its benefits in not having a boss sitting across from me all of the time barking orders. They tell me where to go, and I go there. Problem is though, I was (and still am) having some difficulty understanding at what point does an officer or more especially, a ranking supervisor step in when they see so grevious an error being made and put a stop to the matter? Shouldn't the supervisor have some responsibility to call the shots when she sees that things aren't what they are being made to be?

You really put things into perspective, and much like Xiphos, maclean, and the other guys earler, are being very thoughtful and understanding. I thank you.

GirlInBrown is offline If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong....
    Verified LEO

You gave your non-cop standpoint and you received from a cop standpoint, and as you can see all have different standpoints, take the responses you liked and....good luck. Anything from here on out will be non productive. Just my .02
    " The warrior who honors the shield says, WHEN it happens, I will be ready...." Lt. Col. Grossman (Live... 9-11-07)

Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Follow the advice from Xiphos, some cops are just dicks why because they are human. IMO women officers tend to not be egotistic and will listen better than male officers. This is probably why in your opinion the lady sgt seemed to have her head on straight. As for looking for the older officer "your mind tells you that he may have been doing this awhile" thats why you tried to talk to him. Not always true. I'm still pretty young and look younger than my age yet I'm the most experienced at my dept.

As for an unmarked unit in plain clothes doing traffic, i'd have to see the law on that in whatever state you are in. Here in Oklahoma if you are going to be in an unmarked unit and conduct traffic you must be in a uniform identifiable to that of a police officer. Jeans and a tee shirt won't work.
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

hemicop is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    Don't know where this happened, but for Disorderly Conduct, someone other than the police have have to be the victims & the lot posted, so those two things alone may get you off the hook. I'd follow Xiphos advice and file a complaint ofr "Conducti Unbecoming a Police Officer" against everyone except the Sgt, who sounds like she did what Should have been done in the first place. Be sure you articulate the officers actions as to WHY it was "unbecoming" as without the articulation you really have nothing.
    Assuming ALL what you said is true it sounds like the detective jumped the gun & should have been more systematic in his stop & investigation. That alone should raise some questions........

berserk is offline The reason they do psych evals
    Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hemicop View Post
    Don't know where this happened, but for Disorderly Conduct, someone other than the police have have to be the victims & the lot posted
    With "No Disorderly Conduct" signs?

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by berserk View Post
    In Az., yes. Naturally during the course of the investigation you're going to find out just who was diturbed & in what way & to what extent so you can clarify & articulate the "degree" of "disorderly-ness" (?)

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by hemicop View Post
    In Az., yes. Naturally during the course of the investigation you're going to find out just who was diturbed & in what way & to what extent so you can clarify & articulate the "degree" of "disorderly-ness" (?)
    Hemicop, in my research there is no requirement (in Arizona or any other state) of posted signs to substantiate a disorderly conduct charge. Judging from the OP's own version of the story, it seems to me that his actions may violate a state or local law of disorderly conduct. If he feels that he does not want to accept the offered plea, he has the right to hire an attorney and plead not guilty.

In any event, the OP's question was:

Help me out from a cop's perspective here, do I fight this and risk catching the fine and probation (which I really can't make visits working over the road), or just take my licks?
    According to his profile, his last site activity was on April 18th. At that point he seemed satisfied with the advise that he received here. I think GirlInBrown is right, any more debate is just beating a dead horse. Let's let this one rest.

Verified LEO
    That's what I told him. Now here in Phx, the City Prosecutor wants "No Trespassing" signs posted, but certainly NO "DC" type signs.......

serpico155 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    you probley could.have picked your words alittle better to the p.po .....but i agree with miost of the other officers o0n line here ...the y wre wrong ...unproffesional ..[in shorts if all u said was true ..they were as......s

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information