Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33
  1. #1
    DeezNutz is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    04-28-08
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0

    From a non-cop standpoint...

    Some of you guys might remember me from a long time of lurking and such... but something happened recently and I just have to ask about. Its long, but please indulge me.

    First, let me say I like the police in general. I've had members of my family who were career cops and I believe that they held their own pretty good. They were proud of their jobs, proud of their uniform, and really tried to keep a good attitude about people. I used them as examples as I was growing up and learned a respect for them and the job they did. I'm a vet, so I'm no hippie or other problem child. I have no criminal record.

    I'm an over the road truck driver. I have a girlfriend who lives in a southern city who works fulltime as a school teacher. She lives in a small house in a subdivision where my truck can't legally go, even bobtail, (there is a no trucks sign). Recently, I called her to let her know I was coming into town and asked her to meet me at a truck stop to pick me up. I planned on staying over a few days with her and leaving my truck parked at the truckstop. She shows up to pick me up at my truck, driving her car into the truck parking area because I had to unload my clothes to wash and didn't want to carry them through a half mile of parking lot. As she is driving down the dark rows to find me, an unmarked car jumps her with lights flashing. She's nervous, and isn't sure its really a cop. She thinks it might be some kind of security guard for the truckstop, and drives back out to the entrance (where the lighting is better and there are people around) before she stops. Since she wasn't planning on getting out, (just picking me up), she's wearing a pair of cutoff jean shorts, flipflops, a tube top under an unbuttoned shirt tied at the waist. I'll admit, she's too well-endowed for that outfit, but at least she doesn't have any makeup on. We''re on the phone while this is going on and she's freaking out. I tell her to calm down, cooperate, and that I'll walk over to where she is.

    Turns out the unmarked is a cop, and he's giving her the third degree; (ID, who are you, why are you here, what are you doing, why were you trying to run from me, why are you prowling the truck area dressed like that...) When I get there, I catch the tail end of that last statement and immediately realize he's thinking my girlfriend the schoolteacher is a prostitute (lot-lizard, as we call them). I have to admit at this point, seeing how she was dressed I had to shake my head, but I figured he'd realize the error pretty soon. He won't half let her talk though, and she's so nervous she's choking up at this point.

    I made a mistake at that point by letting my manhood get the best of me. I approached and tried to explain to this guy who she was and what she was doing there, since I can see my girl is so scared she's in tears and barely able to answer his questions. I'm no little guy, granted, but I only walked up, hands where he can see them, and even started off by saying "excuse me, sir, but that's my..." before I get it out, he turns to me and grabs his holster, telling me I'd better back the $^%&@ off or he'd splatter my innards all over the parking lot. I first got startled, then I just plain got pissed off; visibly.

    Three marked cars pull up as I'm trying to hold my temper. The girlfriend by this time has lost it, and the young detective is grabbing cuffs to detain her for trespassing. The three 'real' police all hop out like its a riot going on. One comes after me (still standing there, but not speaking or threatening anyone, again, my hands are visible). I was just rolling my eyes at this little young cop, still shaking my head. Two of the real cops are on me quick, with a lady sergeant going straight to the plain clothes cop and talking to him. I try to engage the older of the two cops who are coming to me, telling him I'm no threat, and again trying to explain the situation. He's not having it, and I'm losing my tact by this time.

    "Who in the %&# do you think you are?" he asks. "I'm her fiancee', Goddamnit." I reply. "If Barney Fife there would have just listened a minute, he'd realize. She's no whore, she's a Goddamn schoolteacher for Jesus sake!"

    The lady sergeant hears this, turns toward the car and asks my girl if that's true, to which she answers her in a tearful, desperate, "YES, that's what I've been trying to say!" The ladycop asks my girlfriend if she knows my name, she answers (correctly), then asks me my girlfriend's name, and lo and behold, I knew the answer too, (and it wasn't midnight or angelpants or anything like that).

    Long story short, my girl catches a ticket for trespassing, and I get one for disorderly conduct. I guess disorderly conduct means disagreeing with the police in this podunk town we were in. The older cop tells me that I had to tote a charge because I tried to interfere with the plain clothes cop, but at no time did I ever threaten him or try to stop him from doing his thing. I only tried to explain. Since neither of us has ever been arrested or charged with anything, the DA's office says we can plead and get deferred sentencing. Personally, I call BS. I asked the manager of the truckstop if the cops were called on my girlfriend, and I'm told that no, it was just this plainclothes cop patrolling the place, so how's the trespass going to hold up? And, if saying "Goddamn" is equal to disorderly, then I think both of the cops who cursed me first need to pay fines along with me, don't you?

    Help me out from a cop's perspective here, do I fight this and risk catching the fine and probation (which I really can't make visits working over the road), or just take my licks?

  2. #2
    jmur5074's Avatar
    jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    9,047
    Rep Power
    6232608
    Hmm...ok.

    You said you you're "no little guy" and were "visibly pissed off." We don't like ANYONE approaching our traffic stops, including little guys who don't end up being "visibly pissed off." I understand your reasoning for it, but it's not a safe thing for the public to do, and it's not safe for us. I can't blame him for calling for other cars, or telling you to stay back and out of the way. In addition to that, apparently this truck stop has a fair amount of criminal activity (like prostitution) so that would make the police officer even more concerned when someone comes walking up to his traffic stop.

    You felt the need to point out that you were "shaking your head" at a "little young" cop, and you also felt the need to mention that the Sgt. was a "lady." The fact that one was little and young and one was a lady doesn't have anything to do with anything and the fact that you brought it up makes me believe you probably treated them less like police officers than the other officers there. Obviously that's not a crime, but I'm sure it didn't help your argument at all.

    "I'm her fiancee', Goddamnit." I reply. "If Barney Fife there would have just listened a minute, he'd realize. She's no whore, she's a Goddamn schoolteacher for Jesus sake!"
    Again, the statement above isn't a crime, but saying what needs to be said in that way (and probably an angry tone) isn't going to help your situation, or make the police officers there relax and realize you're really not a threat.

    One of the cops (you said the "older one"..as if he's more knowledgeable) said you snagged the obstructing charge for interfering with the traffic stop. And you're argument is that you didn't threaten him or interfere. Well you walked up on the stop and interjected when he was doing his business. I personally don't see that as interfering but depending on how your state's obstructing law is written, it just may be.

    Same thing with your trespassing law. In MN we almost always need a complainant for a trespassing charge...but there are some instances when trespassing is implied, and no complainant is necessary (for example, being in a cemetery when it's closed....automatic trespassing even without a complainant). I have a hard time believing driving through a public lot is trespassing, unless it's some sort of "trespassing for the purpose of prostitution" type law. But I can't see that happening as long as you completely confirmed the fact that she was your girlfriend and not a prostitute. Does the truck stop have any posted "Truckers only after this point" signs? Or "Truckers only after xxxx time" signs? Also the truck stop may have an agreement with the police department to patrol the lot at night and cite anyone there who doesn't have a reasonable reason to be there. It sounds to me as if your girlfriend had a reason to be there (picking you up) but was that properly conveyed to the police? Or were you too busy snapping at them, calling them "little", "young", or barney fife?"

    I'm not saying you or her committed a crime, and if you don't think you did I suggest going to your court date. I am saying however that you handled the situation poorly and had you kept your temper and attitude in check, you may have walked away with nothing.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

    "The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

    We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

  3. #3
    Xiphos's Avatar
    Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    03-09-08
    Location
    Thermopylae
    Posts
    8,337
    Rep Power
    7688651
    I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and agree this went down exactly as presented.

    I suspect there have been numerous documented problems here and the cops are actively patrolling and trying to generate stats. "Zero Tolerance" BS that they ride us to do something about.

    1) File a complaint. He was unprofessional and a douchebag. I suspect he's too stupid to do actual police work. I work with a bunch of these guys. They stop everything that moves and write 300 tickets a month. Most of which are garbage and they wouldn't know what to do with themselves on a hot call.

    2) Contest this in court. You had a lawful reason to be there and she had a lawful reason to be there to pick you up. If the idiots had spent 2 seconds actually investigating they'd realize this. Nothing you said comes close to disorderly conduct. You can probably defend yourself but if you have a buddy who's a lawyer and owes you a favor that would be better. Go on the internet and look up the code sections for the charges in your state/city. Read them. Print them. Bring them with you to refer to.

    For Trespassing: I would need the property owner or manager with me in court for that charge to stick. Chances are they won't be. Ask the officer where the owner is and whether he said your girlfriend was never allowed to come pick you up. Whether they are or not, have a picture of your truck that you park there. The registration to show it's yours as well. Receipts from doing business at the truck stop. If you have any from that day, super. Otherwise no big deal just have some, "I park here all the time and do business, they've never told me not to. She comes and picks me up so I can park it. This is allowed and standard practice. Here's receipts showing when I've done it before and since then." She's never been warned not to come pick you up. If there are trespassing signs posted and forbidding vehicles to drive where you parked, take the blame for that and tell the judge you asked her to come over there so you wouldn't have to drag your laundry across the lot.

    As for disorderly conduct make sure you have a copy of that code section as well. Here it has to be more than just words. After the officer testifies you will be asked if you have questions for him. Ask, "How far away from you did I stop? Did I show you my hands? When you told me to be quiet didn't I comply until you had three other officers show up? How come you never bothered to ask us what we were doing there or gave us a chance to explain ourselves? We had a lawful reason for being there and you weren't interested in us at all?"

    Make sure you wear a suit and tie. And make sure your GF doesn't look like a lot lizard.

    Good luck.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

    That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

    If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

    I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

    Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

  4. #4
    Car 4's Avatar
    Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    10-02-07
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    2,171
    Rep Power
    2188901
    I am with Xiphos......I call bullshit on the stop too. His advice is perfect...do that and you should be fine.


    Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

  5. #5
    DeezNutz is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    04-28-08
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post

    Hmm...ok.



    You said you you're "no little guy" and were "visibly pissed off." We don't like ANYONE approaching our traffic stops, including little guys who don't end up being "visibly pissed off." I understand your reasoning for it, but it's not a safe thing for the public to do, and it's not safe for us. I can't blame him for calling for other cars, or telling you to stay back and out of the way. In addition to that, apparently this truck stop has a fair amount of criminal activity (like prostitution) so that would make the police officer even more concerned when someone comes walking up to his traffic stop.


    I'm no big-talking badass. In fact, I'm clean-cut and I'm quite soft-spoken, usually. I am a big guy, I offered that as a means by which to demonstrate I was trying hard to understand why the violently aggressive response. If my 6'3" height, combined with my 250 lb. frame are enough to intimidate this guy from a distance of about 18', (while I say, "excuse me, sir" and hold both hands open and in view), then this guy needs another line of work. Police work must be just too much for his system. I'm all about his safety, because I understand from my background that nothing is more dangerous than a scared guy with a gun. Granted, he couldn't honestly know my motives at first contact, but if you grab leather and threaten to kill everytime someone walks up on you, you resemble (must I say it?) Barney Fife to me. I wasn't "visibly pissed off" until that moment when I realized that this guy was arresting my girlfriend as a hooker, and threatening to kill me for saying "excuse me, sir." At that point, I admit my dander went up.



    You felt the need to point out that you were "shaking your head" at a "little young" cop, and you also felt the need to mention that the Sgt. was a "lady." The fact that one was little and young and one was a lady doesn't have anything to do with anything and the fact that you brought it up makes me believe you probably treated them less like police officers than the other officers there. Obviously that's not a crime, but I'm sure it didn't help your argument at all.


    I did refer to the cop as "little", and "young", because honestly, those are accurate descriptors. I don't mean to insult him for those traits. Some of my best friends are much smaller than I am. As far as the lady sergeant, I honestly think she was the most reasonable of the whole crew. She spoke with me a bit before they left, and even apologized to the girlfriend for any "misgivings" her other officers might have had. Unfortunately, that didn't change the fact that we got charged. I actually liked her once things settled down, but she wasn't "in charge", (or so the impression I got led me to believe). She even at one point said to the plain clothes cop, "Ok, so what are we doing here?" To that, he answered that he was ticketing us. Her response was, "then write, so we can roll out." She seemed a bit frustrated by the whole ordeal, but hey, I was too.



    Again, the statement above isn't a crime, but saying what needs to be said in that way (and probably an angry tone) isn't going to help your situation, or make the police officers there relax and realize you're really not a threat.


    I held my tongue, honestly, until the "Barney Fife" statement. I didn't want to argue and repeated that at least twice. I was only there to explain the situation was not as it appeared. I did get frustrated that I was not allowed to explain things. I produced my license immediately when asked by the older cop for it.



    One of the cops (you said the "older one"..as if he's more knowledgeable) said you snagged the obstructing charge for interfering with the traffic stop. And you're argument is that you didn't threaten him or interfere. Well you walked up on the stop and interjected when he was doing his business. I personally don't see that as interfering but depending on how your state's obstructing law is written, it just may be.


    I'm not intending to imply that the older officer was the smartest one there, its just a reference to how I remember each one, like "young" and "lady". Again, its an accurate descriptor. I'm getting the impression that you are a younger officer, personally, and probably of slight build, but no matter.

    Here's the law I was cited for:






    SEC. 97-35-3. Disorderly conduct; certain acts performed with intent to provoke breach of peace; penalties.

    (1) Whoever with intent to provoke a breach of the peace, or under circumstances such that a breach of the peace may be occasioned thereby:



    (a) crowds or congregates with others in or upon shore protecting structure or structures, or a public street or public highway, or upon a public sidewalk, or any other public place, or in any hotel, motel, store, restaurant, lunch counter, cafeteria, sandwich shop, motion picture theatre, drive-in, beauty parlor, swimming pool area, or any sports or recreational area or place, or any other place of business engaged in selling or serving members of the public, or in or around any free entrance to any such place of business or public building, or to any building owned by another individual, or a corporation, or a partnership or an association, and who fails or refuses to disperse and move on, or disperse or move on, when ordered so to do by any law enforcement officer of any municipality, or county, in which such act or acts are committed, or by any law enforcement officer of the State of Mississippi, or any other authorized person, or

    (b) insults or makes rude or obscene remarks or gestures, or uses profane language, or physical acts, or indecent proposals to or toward another or others, or disturbs or obstructs or interferes with another or others, or


    Same thing with your trespassing law. In MN we almost always need a complainant for a trespassing charge...but there are some instances when trespassing is implied, and no complainant is necessary (for example, being in a cemetery when it's closed....automatic trespassing even without a complainant). I have a hard time believing driving through a public lot is trespassing, unless it's some sort of "trespassing for the purpose of prostitution" type law. But I can't see that happening as long as you completely confirmed the fact that she was your girlfriend and not a prostitute. Does the truck stop have any posted "Truckers only after this point" signs? Or "Truckers only after xxxx time" signs? Also the truck stop may have an agreement with the police department to patrol the lot at night and cite anyone there who doesn't have a reasonable reason to be there.


    The reasoning exactly why I questioned the truckstop manager regarding the officer's presence. Her statement that he wasn't called there basically led me to believe that he had initiated the contact, and last I checked, he would have to produce some documentation proving that it was not his personal decision, but a representative of those who actually own or operate the premises.



    It sounds to me as if your girlfriend had a reason to be there (picking you up) but was that properly conveyed to the police? Or were you too busy snapping at them, calling them "little", "young", or barney fife?"


    Everything might have been properly conveyed to the police had the initial officer allowed an explanation. Honestly, I have to admit I can possibly see his reason for skepticism initially. The way that my girlfriend was dressed, the place, her nervousness, her hesitation to stop, and I failed to mention the fact that she's a very attractive blonde, noticably younger than I am, and I'm a rather plain-looking, slightly overweight guy. We do make an odd couple, I suppose. That actually might have been his primary reason for not accepting any excuse, but hey, I can't figure out what she sees in me, either, sometimes.




    I'm not saying you or her committed a crime, and if you don't think you did I suggest going to your court date. I am saying however that you handled the situation poorly and had you kept your temper and attitude in check, you may have walked away with nothing.


    You might be right, sir. I openly admitted in the first post that I grew angry. I controlled it to the best of my ability, but it didn't take a rocket scientist to see I was ticked.



    Thank you both for your responses.

  6. #6
    MacLean's Avatar
    MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    09-05-07
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    11,770
    Rep Power
    4546390
    Follow the advice given to you by Xiphos to the letter, plus this:

    Bring a lawyer to do the arguing Xiphos suggested.
    I'm your huckleberry...

    Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

    You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.


    I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...



  7. #7
    keith720's Avatar
    keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Join Date
    01-06-06
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,285
    Rep Power
    5291854
    Am I the only one smelling big B.S. with this whole story? It has more cliches' a letter to Penthouse.(Not that I ever read Penthouse letters......)
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

    Winston Churchill

  8. #8
    pac201's Avatar
    pac201 is offline Used up and retired
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-26-08
    Location
    a handbasket...guess where we're going...
    Posts
    1,102
    Rep Power
    872593
    I'm appalled, you didn't read the letters?
    Job security...

    Ecclesiastes 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

  9. #9
    Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    04-16-06
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    4,077
    Rep Power
    6429416
    Quote Originally Posted by keith720 View Post
    Am I the only one smelling big B.S. with this whole story? It has more cliches' a letter to Penthouse.(Not that I ever read Penthouse letters......)
    Nope.

    But I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

    He's asking for legal advice. To get legal advice, he needs to talk to a lawyer. It probably won't be free... And taking the account at face value, he should take said lawyer with him and go to court. So should his girlfriend.

    If he's not happy with the way the cop acted, he needs to contact that agency, and speak with supervisors.

    And, again assuming the account it factual... one observation about the plainclothes officer's mindset... He's looking for particular activity in that lot, and he goes to stop a car. That car doesn't stop promptly, in a parking lot. He's a little amped up now... And some big guy 6-03, 250 lbs ain't little...) wanders up to him... Yeah, he's kind of nervous here!
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

    TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

    "Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

    All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

  10. #10
    berserk is offline The reason they do psych evals
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    11-24-08
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    749
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    603382
    I'll second Maclean's advice. Do what Xiphos said, except get a lawyer.

    I know guys who would probably screw up a suspicious person contact in exactly the way that you describe. Maybe you could have handle yourself better, maybe the officer could have handled himself better, but nothing you have described rises to the level of either trespass or disorderly. If there's nothing you've forgotten to tell us, then this is exactly the reason that we give people court dates instead of sentencing them at the scene.

  11. #11
    jmur5074's Avatar
    jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    9,047
    Rep Power
    6232608
    I'm no big-talking badass. In fact, I'm clean-cut and I'm quite soft-spoken, usually. I am a big guy, I offered that as a means by which to demonstrate I was trying hard to understand why the violently aggressive response. If my 6'3" height, combined with my 250 lb. frame are enough to intimidate this guy from a distance of about 18', (while I say, "excuse me, sir" and hold both hands open and in view), then this guy needs another line of work. Police work must be just too much for his system. I'm all about his safety, because I understand from my background that nothing is more dangerous than a scared guy with a gun. Granted, he couldn't honestly know my motives at first contact, but if you grab leather and threaten to kill everytime someone walks up on you, you resemble (must I say it?) Barney Fife to me. I wasn't "visibly pissed off" until that moment when I realized that this guy was arresting my girlfriend as a hooker, and threatening to kill me for saying "excuse me, sir." At that point, I admit my dander went up.
    Well like I said in my earlier post, there must be criminal activity afoot at that particular truck stop if a plain clothes officer in an unmarked car is hanging out there. So having a large fella like yourself walk up on him while he's doing his business WILL cause alarm if he is a decent cop who cares about his safety. In addition to that, we're ALL taught the "21 foot rule" where anyone within 21 feet WILL get you with whatever weapon they have before you break leather. More recently that rule has been expanded because 21 feet is the absolute minimum safe distance. So if you're 18 ft from him, and your a big guy, at a truck stop where criminal activity apparently occurs somewhat regularly, I'd say his reaction is reasonable. Him threatening to kill you right off the bat though, that's extreme. But I see no problem with him simply putting his hand on his gun (remember the 21 ft rule) and telling you to leave, or at least get back (preferably professionally).

    I'm not intending to imply that the older officer was the smartest one there, its just a reference to how I remember each one, like "young" and "lady". Again, its an accurate descriptor. I'm getting the impression that you are a younger officer, personally, and probably of slight build, but no matter.
    Yes, they are descriptors, but why are they necessary? You also mentioned you were "rolling" your eyes at the little, young cop. And you pointed out that you tried engaging the older cop, as opposed to the young one. I understand "older" "lady" "young" and "little" are all descriptors, but I hardly believe that you treated all of the police officers there the same. And you absolutely hit the nail on the head. I am a younger officer and slight of build (actually I'm skinny as hell). But when it comes to wrasslin' on a street corner I'm the first one in the fight, and when it comes to common sense, street sense, and practical knowledge about my job, I blow some of the older guys out of the water.

    SEC. 97-35-3. Disorderly conduct; certain acts performed with intent to provoke breach of peace; penalties.

    (1) Whoever with intent to provoke a breach of the peace, or under circumstances such that a breach of the peace may be occasioned thereby:



    (a) crowds or congregates with others in or upon shore protecting structure or structures, or a public street or public highway, or upon a public sidewalk, or any other public place, or in any hotel, motel, store, restaurant, lunch counter, cafeteria, sandwich shop, motion picture theatre, drive-in, beauty parlor, swimming pool area, or any sports or recreational area or place, or any other place of business engaged in selling or serving members of the public, or in or around any free entrance to any such place of business or public building, or to any building owned by another individual, or a corporation, or a partnership or an association, and who fails or refuses to disperse and move on, or disperse or move on, when ordered so to do by any law enforcement officer of any municipality, or county, in which such act or acts are committed, or by any law enforcement officer of the State of Mississippi, or any other authorized person, or

    (b) insults or makes rude or obscene remarks or gestures, or uses profane language, or physical acts, or indecent proposals to or toward another or others, or disturbs or obstructs or interferes with another or others, or
    The only hang up I see to you arguing your ticket is the bolded portion. Did he tell you to leave or did he tell you to "back the ___ up" as you said in your initial post? Even failing to "back up" I suppose could be considered a failure to disperse. The law also said "crowds or congregates with others"...so you've got that going for you. I can't imagine you were "crowding" anything and since you didn't mention it, I can only assume you weren't congregating with others. The second paragraph in my opinion, is outdated and wouldn't hold up to a freedom of speech argument. So if they cited you under that paragraph they need to catch up to modern times. Being insulting, rude, or obscene, and using profane language are all protected speech.


    Assuming everything you've said is correct, it sounds like this whole incident went down poorly, on both sides. You let your emotions get the best of you, and they didn't react with you professionally or let give your side of the story until things got too out of hand.

    The more I think this over in my head, it sounds to me like you committed POPO (Pissing Off a Police Officer) which is not a crime in all 50 states.

    I hope you can understand my skepticism, but no story is ever what it seems. And in my experience, the guy who got the ticket always has a story that's skewed the most. But assuming everything you said is true, I still think you handled it improperly (but so did the cops who were there), and I also don't think you deserve a citation (and neither does your lady friend). Except maybe for POPO.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

    "The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

    We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

  12. #12
    DeezNutz is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    04-28-08
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm not going to entertain the guys who are claiming I'm full of BS with a response. Sorry, I'll pick my battles, and my sincerity remains intact, regardless of your suspicions.

    I am pleasantly suprised, actually. I mulled over posting my predicament here because I considered the possibility of being treated with disdain by the cops here for posting a negatively slanted contact with the police. What I have read instead are helpful, honest, and thoughtful responses. You guys are a credit to your profession, and I thank you for your time and consideration.

    I wasn't familiar with any 21' rule, and I'm willing to bet that most other civilians aren't either. I see guys nudging up into personal space with cops all the time, and the cops just stand there without any reaction at all, let alone grabbing holsters. Perhaps if more folks knew to keep a better distance, there would be less problems for you guys out there. Then again, I (of course) didn't measure my distance between the plainclothes guy and myself. I was just estimating it. (Please notice, no reference to size or age).

    I suppose the biggest residual problem I'm facing is that I'm going to have to pony up at least a grand to some lawyer to defend us in this deal, and picking one in an area I'm unfamiliar with is a crapshoot. Then, even if this guy can get the charges beat, I still have a mark on a spotless criminal record unless I can spend more cash on getting the attorney to find a way to scrub the whole thing. I'm not sure how the whole criminal record deal works, honestly, or whether "bad behavior" tickets like these go down on them as arrests. I'm not so concerned about mine, nearly as much as I am for my girlfriend. As a schoolteacher, all she needs is a suggestion of a crime on her record to cost her a job. It just seems nuts that one pissed off cop can make a bad call and affect people for a lifetime. Thinking about it irritates me some. You know, if I were to walk up to your wife or girlfriend in a parking lot and say, "Hey, there are a lot of whores around here, are you a whore?", I'd expect her to slap the taste out of my mouth, and you'd probably beat her to the attempt by climbing on my shoulders to stomp my guts out. I'd deserve it.

    Strangely enough though, this guy could do just that (in essence), then threaten to kill me for reacting, and I'm the one who has to pay the lawyers and face a judge over it. It just seems terribly unjust to me.

    Anyway, again I thank you guys for your help. Good crew here.

  13. #13
    Ducky's Avatar
    Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Join Date
    12-05-05
    Location
    Handbasket, enroute to somewhere hot.
    Posts
    11,096
    Rep Power
    7381621
    My civvie opinion about that is the only ones who win in lawsuits like that is lawyers.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q


  14. #14
    cajunguy's Avatar
    cajunguy is offline I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    12-03-05
    Location
    South La.
    Posts
    1,931
    Rep Power
    2581719
    You're gettin' your blood pressure up again Deez.

    Sure hope you have better control of your emotions when you're piloting that big rig down the road.

    How in hell do you handle the idiots you encounter on the highway. Let your BP rise a little too much there too?

    Take a deeeeeep breath now.


    .
    The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"
    .

  15. #15
    DeezNutz is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    04-28-08
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunguy View Post
    You're gettin' your blood pressure up again Deez.

    Sure hope you have better control of your emotions when you're piloting that big rig down the road.

    How in hell do you handle the idiots you encounter on the highway. Let your BP rise a little too much there too?

    Take a deeeeeep breath now.


    .
    Ok, so I can just walk up to your wife or girlfriend and all but call her a whore, and you'd be cool as a cucumber about it? Then, to boot, I can threaten to kill you for even walking up to me, and then, if that's not enough, I can cost you more than you make in a week defending yourself from my inability to admit a mistake?

    C'mon man... that's enough to piss off Mother Theresa. As far as the way I drive, I'm good at what I do. I save probably as many lives as most cops do by the way I operate my rig, forgiving the potentially deadly mistakes that car drivers do around my truck. Averaging 84,000 miles a year and having a clean CDL record is no easy task.

    That's more like what I expected when I posted here. I'm going to take the blame on this deal, even though the cop made the mistake. Thanks for reaffirming my falling faith.

  16. #16
    cajunguy's Avatar
    cajunguy is offline I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    12-03-05
    Location
    South La.
    Posts
    1,931
    Rep Power
    2581719
    Try walking a mile in OUR boots sometime.



    .
    The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"
    .

  17. #17
    DeezNutz is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    04-28-08
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunguy View Post
    Try walking a mile in OUR boots sometime.



    .
    I'm not even going to get into a "who has it rougher" duel with you. That's a losing battle. Like I said, I respect the jobs you guys do. If I didn't, I'd probably had a run in with the law long before now. The earlier guys answered my questions respectfully and were very helpful, and I'll bet those guys are cops up north. Why do you have to make this some kind of joust? I see you are from Louisiana, is that the way you guys do things down there, the cops always right and whomever they decide to pick on at the time is wrong?

    Your boots aren't the issue here, nor should they be. I'd just like my questions answered regarding the responsibility that the police have to rectify their mistakes. Do you guys just cover for other cops when they make false allegations and then refuse to admit error? Do you cover up when they make threats to unarmed citizens and treat honest, hardworking people like street whores and thugs?

  18. #18
    *snicker* is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-11-06
    Posts
    46
    Rep Power
    104556

  19. #19
    cajunguy's Avatar
    cajunguy is offline I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    12-03-05
    Location
    South La.
    Posts
    1,931
    Rep Power
    2581719
    Quote Originally Posted by DeezNutz View Post
    I'm not even going to get into a "who has it rougher" duel with you. That's a losing battle. Like I said, I respect the jobs you guys do. If I didn't, I'd probably had a run in with the law long before now. The earlier guys answered my questions respectfully and were very helpful, and I'll bet those guys are cops up north. Why do you have to make this some kind of joust? I see you are from Louisiana, is that the way you guys do things down there, the cops always right and whomever they decide to pick on at the time is wrong?

    Your boots aren't the issue here, nor should they be. I'd just like my questions answered regarding the responsibility that the police have to rectify their mistakes. Do you guys just cover for other cops when they make false allegations and then refuse to admit error? Do you cover up when they make threats to unarmed citizens and treat honest, hardworking people like street whores and thugs?

    My friend, you came on a Law Enforcement forum crying that you've been wronged.

    You were given the best advice you could be given - tell it to the judge.

    You have continued crying about it.

    What do you expect us to do? Drop the charges against you and your girlfriend?

    OK, if that's what you expected, you got it.

    CHARGES DROPPED!

    Do you feel bettter now?



    And as for Justus, you've also come onto an LE forum and in ALL TWO your posts you've done nothing but criticize us.

    I forsee the holding cell in your future.

    Have a nice life. Or maybe I should say - GET a life!



    Personally, I'm done with both of you. I don't get into pi**ing contests on the street, and I don't think I'll get into one here.

    Over and OUT!!



    .
    The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"
    .

  20. #20
    MacLean's Avatar
    MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    09-05-07
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    11,770
    Rep Power
    4546390
    Why hello JustUS, welcome to OR.

    Forum policy requires that you go introduce yourself in the proper forum. You are being directed to do so at your earliest opportunity.

    Next, please recognize that this is a forum for law enforcement professionals. We prize and cherish input from civilians, and have arranged for interaction in the interest of law enforcement and civilian communication.

    What we do not tolerate is wild accusations, baseless insults, and poor manners. If that sort of behavior persists, we have a special place where we will assign your account for the appropriate scorn and derision.

    In short, tune yourself up or we'll tune you up. You're in our house, and are required to behave respectfully.

    MacLean
    Site Moderator
    I'm your huckleberry...

    Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

    You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.


    I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...



 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •