Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Opinions on This

Story from al.com that is somewhat local to me (same state) and I would like our members to address any of the comments from the story. Maybe some of those that commented will stand behind their comments and argue their tactics. Here is the story:

Sheriff's deputies kill man after he takes wife hostage, kills her | al.com

Sheriff's deputies kill man after he takes wife hostage, kills her

By The Associated Press

April 18, 2010, 7:17PM

HAZEL GREEN, Ala. -- Madison County authorities say a sheriff's department employee was shot and killed by deputies shortly after he killed his wife in a hostage situation.
    Sheriff's department officials said Madison County Corrections Officer Jason Lee Earls shot and killed his wife and then was shot by deputies.

CLICK THE LINK FOR THE FULL STORY AND COMMENTS, please.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I'm starting a citizens academy to keep dumb ass people like this at bay. CSI has done so much damage to LE that it's unreal the amount of BS I hear on a daily basis.
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    First of all, I don't care who is holding a gun to someone's head in a hostage situation, the friend, coworker, acquaintance dynamic is lost there. The goal is to end the situation without bloodshed period. Everyone leaving alive, the hostage, the hostage taker, and everyone responding. I think the logical and sane people can get behind that. Outside of that, the responders control what they can. Things such as the mobility of the scene. Better to keep the situation contained. People that think they or anyone else can control an irrational person with a gun are the same people that are probably wondering why the gun simply wasn't shot out of his hand or my personal favorite, "why didn't they shoot to wound him?" types.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

pac201 is offline Used up and retired
    Verified LEO
    a handbasket...guess where we're going...
    as unfortunate as it may be, it sounds like suicide by cop...he had made up his mind what he was going to do and no one was going to prevent it.

As far as tactics go, not much different that could have been done.
    Job security...

Ecclesiastes 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by pac201 View Post
    as unfortunate as it may be, it sounds like suicide by cop...he had made up his mind what he was going to do and no one was going to prevent it.

As far as tactics go, not much different that could have been done.
    +1... That was my first thought.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Sounds like the Deputies came from behind and had to see some unfortunate shit.

Too bad the guy didn't shoot himself before he shot his wife, if you know what I mean.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    I agree; there doesn't seem to have been much that could be done... Definitely sounds like suicide by cop.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Posted by dondowski
    April 18, 2010, 11:04PM
    I feel sorry for anyone who thinks 2 dead people is a good thing and the police did all they could. They made a choice and it went wrong. My question is what if the hostage was a loved one of the police chief or the mayor, would the police have done the same thing, I doubt it!

My question is what do you think they would have done differently that would have changed the outcome?

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    "Brooks said Earls then dragged his wife outside and held the gun to her head. Brooks said Earls then shot his wife deputies then fired shots, killing Earls."

i think in a standoff such as the above, where a hostage taker is holding a hostage at gunpoint, if you have the shot, you take it.

i think you need to be proactive, rather than reactive in this particular situation.

in no way am i saying these deputies did anything wrong. but i was trained to take that shot if i have it in this situation.
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Thread Information