Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    refusetostop is offline Special Operations
    I wear tham all the time.
    Obedience of the law is demanded; not asked as a favor.
    Theodore Roosevelt

sflcop is offline They pay me to play 12 hours a day!
    Quote Originally Posted by Signal_W
    We don't have any directives on wearing glasses while on traffic stops and I don't really care how "polite" it is. I wear my glasses as much as possible and in my opinion is this is an officer safety issue.

First, I like to make sure they are dark enough so the person I'm interacting with cant see my eyes. That way he/she has no idea where I'm looking and they don't know if it's safe to reach for that gun, knife, drugs, etc. I have had several instances where I have walked up on a car and seen drugs in the vehicle. Since I had my glasses on they didn't know I saw it and i just played it off. I asked them to step out "because something is wrong with their licenses." and then I'm able to detain them with out them attempting to destroy the evidence.

Second, we had an officer make a traffic stop and when he approached the vehicle the driver sprayed him with mace. Since he had sunglasses on it minimized the effect (it didn't get into his eyes) and he was able to grab the suspects arm and fight him until back-up arrived.

So I wear sun-glasses, plus it looks cool
    Great minds think alike.
    In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

sflcop@LAWENFORCEMENTFORUMS.CO M

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

SGTDDUKE is offline Rookie Sgt.
    Never leave home without them. I wear Oakleys which also offer some impact protection. I personally don't care how someone who has never been a cop percieves my actions or sunglasses. If a person thinks it is rude for me to approach them on a traffic stop with sunglasses on, I would tell them dont break the law and you would not have to see me approach you at all.

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Don't do traffic stuff.

However my glasses do that magic changey stuff, and I need them to see; but I shoot well enough with out them (in a gas mask).

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

RdrB67 is offline Officer First Class
    I actually try to wear them all the time though that doesn't happen consistently.

I trade out lenses at night when I have the ambition to wear them, or if I know I'll be dealing with a genuine butt-wad. I've been spit on a couple of times and have decided I would rather have the eyes covered when the risk of that is higher.

Generally, though, I only wear them for protection from sun/glare, etc. Traffic Stops don't change that, though I do generally take them off for face-to-face visits.
    "Nothing says guilty like a high-priced lawyer."
    - Tom Griswold

Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    We don't have any directives on wearing sun glasses. Basicly if you want to wear them you can, if not thats ok too. I'm getting percription sun glasses for days, and my regual glasses for night. I tried the glassses that go dark in sun light but they don't work when your in the car with the ac on!
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    If I need them, I wear them. I'm not going to take them off just to make someone "feel" better at the cost of my comfort.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Tiger47 is offline Banned
    I agree, I always wear mine. I also think is is beneficial on stops so that the occupants of the vehicle can't see who or what you are really looking at. It has played in my favor on many occasions and has really never been a problem.

Radar is offline We all bleed blue
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I always wear my oakleys, but I have a light sensitivity problem with one of my eyes. I think that it works well for both officer safety, in the fact it keeps stuff from getting in your eyes, and when I mean stuff, I mean not just mace, I was wearing my sunglasses on a traffic stop one day when a nearby DOT mover kicked something up and wacked me right in the middle of the lens, If I hadn't been wearing them, I'd probably be called one eye now.

Unfortunately, while working an event, I got into a scuffle with a couple of guys who'd had too much to drink and wanted to beat anyone around them senseless, and when the dust settled my glasses were awol. I had just bought some new oakley prescription halfjackets for the range, so I really just need to buy some more interchangeable lenses.

I had planned on trying to go through the city (or the two drunks) and try and get reimbursed for my glasses (I know, good luck with the city), but I learned an hour later my Lt had cut both of them loose without keeping any of there info or charging them.
    Here Speeder, Speeder, Speeder

"Oderint dum metuant" - Caligula

"How come you only call me when someone's dead?"

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    I never wear them at work, seeing that I work midnights, j/k. When I was on days I wore them constantly. I am a creature of the night and I dislike the bright sunlight.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

Jack Hammer is offline Bad MO FO
    I'm with you Pedro the daylight is bad, I'm thinking about moving to alaska but just when it is dark. We don't have anything as far as orders on sunglasses, but I think wearing them on stops or interaction with the public is inappropriate. big word did I spell that right.
    BEATI PACIFICI

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    What we have here is failure to communicate.

If the sun is out I wear sunglasses for two reasons:
    1. One I like to be able to keep my eyes wide open when it's bright.
    2. I don't like people to be able to see where I'm looking.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Serpico107 is offline Rookie
    Yes, I wear them for a couple reasons:

1. I dont necessarily like people knowing where I'm looking. It's good to have glasses where people can't see your eyes so you can always be one up on them. The element of suprise needs to be in our favor.

2. For some reason officers who wear them look more in control...I don't know why or if anyone here agrees with this...I know of others who do though. I'm 23 but I look like I'm 16 so sometimes it's tough to get people to take me seriously. Acting professionally and confidently help tremendously, but I'll always arrive on scene with them on (during the day anyways) and will remove them after 5-10 minutes of being on scene. I would definately advise removing them at some point, because it's a way of being more personal with the public.

What do you guys think?

Jeremy

thepman is offline Rookie
    we are not suppose to wear mirrored glasses...but some do...but we are allowed to wear them on traffic stops.

Big-Mo is offline Banned
    My dept also has NO rules pertaining to sunglasses, thankfully. I agree fully with Signal W and use them to my advantage. We don't have that many advantages anymore and have to use the few left. I use the mirrored type also and enjoy watching them trying to figure out where we are looking or had seen anything.
    That is a lot like our Kel Lights and they tried to limit us or restrict them but if working afternoons or nights, one is needed and almost have to have one that is reliable and can be used in defense.
    You ALL take care and be safe out there !!

Cochese is offline The Grand Royal
    Verified LEO
    Can I see a pic of a Kel-Light?

zpd307 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    my eyes are sensitive, so i wear them all of th time. i usually even have to wear them when its cloudy. they are extremely sensitive to wind. if its blowing, i look like i am crying. sucks
    MANNNNN.... YOU MUST BE FAST, BECAUSE I WAS HAULIN ASS WHEN I PASSED YOU!

dlefdal is offline LEF'S unofficial mascot
    What is a Kel Light?

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by dlefdal
    What is a Kel Light?
    Good golly ned!

What is a kel-light?!

Some of you must be youngsters...

Kel-lights were a brand of flashlight, very popular among law enforcement many years ago, similar to the "modern" Streamlight or Maglight.

dlefdal is offline LEF'S unofficial mascot
    Oh. I've been around for about 8 years, I just never heard of them. They must not have been popular around here.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information