Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Bandit is offline Trust me, I work for the government
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199
    Good golly ned!

What is a kel-light?!

Some of you must be youngsters...

Kel-lights were a brand of flashlight, very popular among law enforcement many years ago, similar to the "modern" Streamlight or Maglight.

Ahh, these young-uns.. You gotta love their enthusiasm. I see JK has been listening on the other boards, and he learns well.

The Kel-light was the predecessor of the Streamlight, which came before the Mag-light. It came in many shapes and sizes, but it wasn't rechargeable like these newer lights are. It kind of faded away once the Streamlights were introduced into the field. My Kel-light was a c-cell, 24" long and fit right into my nightstick holder (that was the predecessor of the PR-24 and the ASP you young-uns are familiar with). It made for the perfect aluminum baton, that is until I had to use it and broke a bulb or squished the battery spring. When they outlawed the metal flashlights, I had to go back to my trusty piece of old hickory.

Falcata is offline UK police officer
    I bought a pair of Oakley Half jackets recently......and now wear these regularly at work.

Apart from the advantages that many others have already described....the lenses are polarized, so it means I can see directly into vehicles regardless of the windshield angle and reflection.

Great for spotting who's in a car, if they're wearing seat belts, what their hands are doing etc.etc...

'The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil,
    but because of those who look on and do nothing.'

badboys1517 is offline Rookie
    We have no rules regarding sunglasses. I work nights, 4-12, so I usually don't wear my sunglasses that often. Especially since I just bought a nice pair of Maui Jims and don't want to wreck them wrestling around with some shitbag or lose them in a foot pursuit.

dlefdal is offline LEF'S unofficial mascot
    Amen to that brotha!
    When you find yourself in a hole............QUIT DIGGING!!!!!!!!!

OK guys time to come clean. I am not only a police officer but I am also a big time movie star. I am using my real photo as my avatar now. Please NO autographs!!!!

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such

gmcbodacious is offline bike officer
    we wear them all the time(daylight and evenings) department does not want us to wear mirrored sunglassess

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by besafe2
    If you work days & weather permitting, do you wear sun glasses when out on traffic stops ?
    I take them off before my approach and put them back on after the stop. It's unwise to do it during a stop because if the offender has tinted windows (or even just the glare) can restrict what we see inside the vehicle- this is dangerous from an officer safety standpoint.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

armygrnt502 is offline Making my streets safer, one day at a time
    Verified LEO
    Since I wear glassess, I broke down and got the type that autodarken in the sunlight. I work the 2-10 shift so Im in the sun a lot (esp in the summer) The lenses darken yes, but no so dark that a person can not see my eyes.

Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I had some of those, but you have to be very careful, they scratch easy, mine are scratched up so much that I can no longer wear them!
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

narcodog is offline Rookie
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO

Unhappy

Many years ago, decades, RCA put out a set of traing tapes (this was before VHS) and they had one tape where they emphzied taking off shades,for many reasons but mostly to put the public at ease. I guess that was the start of the touchy feely policeing.

depusm12 is offline Patrolman
    Verified LEO
    I not only wear them but they are deparment isssued. I need corrective lenses (glasses) and my department issues safety glasses, mine have the auto darken feature as well.
    Last edited by depusm12; 07-14-06 at 03:30 PM.
    James
    Dept of the Army Civilian Police
    "Loyalty above all else, except Honor"
    Never forget those who fell on 9/11/01
    S&W beats 4 Aces every time

K9ForLife is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Centurion44
    I take them off before my approach and put them back on after the stop. It's unwise to do it during a stop because if the offender has tinted windows (or even just the glare) can restrict what we see inside the vehicle- this is dangerous from an officer safety standpoint.
    No more dangerous than when the sunlight is so bright that you can't see what you are doing. I've worked nights for 20 years straight now and when I do venture out into the daytime to work I can't do it w/o the sunglasses.

TXCOP is offline Officer First Class
    I wear a pair I got from Wally-World. $15 and polarised. Impact resistant. And they wrap around the eyes very well. I wear them any time the sun is shining. Comfort plus safety.

TwanimusPrime is offline Moving on up...to the east side!
    I ussually take them off when I make contacts, mainly because I can see into the vehicle more clearly. And I wanna see everything I can see in there.

s10ryan is offline Rookie
    im not a LEO yet, but i'd totally rock the aviators and my CHiPs helmet i got off ebay if they allowed it.

Talking

Both departments I worked for did not have a policy about sunglasses nor did they teach us not to wear them in the academy.....So I always have them on when the sun is up plus I work nights so I burst into flames and die when the sun comes out.

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    I work 1600-0200hrs, so I usually wear my sunglasses for about half of my shift this time of year. I really prefer to wear them all the time... politics aside, it is very bright around here, the department doesn't care, and I've been spit at on traffic before (sunglasses helped).

Type of sunglasses? Cheapest I can find! Broke another set in a resistance two nights ago (forgot to unclip them from the shirt when it got dark, lens missing at the end of the deal).

Cochese is offline The Grand Royal
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Coloradocop
    ...and I've been spit at on traffic before (sunglasses helped)...

I hope someone fell down the stairs. You at DPD or a burb department?

TXCOP is offline Officer First Class
    Getting some Oakly half jackets soon. Safety for the eyes, the "chicks dig it factor", and you can't freaking break 'em by trying. I saw the sales rep twist the frame 180 degrees.

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    Cochese, yeah I work for DPD... and they had a bad day after the little spit incident

Cochese is offline The Grand Royal
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Coloradocop
    Cochese, yeah I work for DPD... and they had a bad day after the little spit incident

Atta boy!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information