Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    besafe2 is offline Rookie

Sun glasses on traffic stop question

If you work days & weather permitting, do you wear sun glasses when out on traffic stops ?
    PS: I did ask this on another forum, but would like to get some answers here. Thanks folks for all you do.
    Please stay safe in all you do, also know I pray for each of you daily. Thank you for all you do. On Twitter at
    www.twitter.com/coachrowsey

Paul

Dudleydoright is offline Officer First Class

Cool Sunglass use

My department prefers that officers not wear their sunglasses on a traffic stop. This isn't rigidly enforced.

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    We only wear them to drive supposed to remove them at all other times.

Falcata is offline UK police officer
    there is some directive in the book or rules somewhere...that states we shouldn't wear 'mirrored' shades.

I only wear sunglasses in the car or out of it, if i don't have a hat on.

If I wear a hat, then I rely totally on the peak to shade my eyes...

I'm a big fan of shades whilst driving for the safety aspect, as well as comfort. I'm currently using RayBans at work.

I do recommend that the shades you use for driving are 'polarised' to reduce glare and reflection from windscreens (windshields) etc
    'The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil,
    but because of those who look on and do nothing.'

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Its not polite and its not widely used on traffic stops around here. You use them to drive and thats about it. Unless you are outside doing other things then possibly.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Curt581 is offline Whatever
    Verified LEO
    I wear mine all the time. And I work nights.

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    Yes all the time. I have an eye condition...see I squint when its sunny out and it looks like I have my eyes closed. Even though we were told in the acadamy not to have them on it gets bright out there

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudleydoright
    My department prefers that officers not wear their sunglasses on a traffic stop. This isn't rigidly enforced.
    Exactly the same here.

tx-leo is offline Troll Hunter
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by besafe2
    If you work days & weather permitting, do you wear sun glasses when out on traffic stops ?
    PS: I did ask this on another forum, but would like to get some answers here. Thanks folks for all you do.
    Always, during daylight hours.
    "I'd rather hunt with VP Cheney than ride with Ted Kennedy ."

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little
    temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin

lcsodre108 is offline DUI Persecutor
    During the day I wear them all the time.
    www.alliedoddballs.com
    I can't do this test when I am sober!

Respect My AUTHORITAE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    I'll wear sunglasses while I'm driving, or if I'm out directing traffic or something like that, but any contact I'm making, I take 'em off or at least move them to the top of my head. I like polarized lenses; they cut glare on things like windshields out... But I take them off for two reasons. First -- I don't want to have my vision obscured by anything, or make it harder to see into the car as I'm approaching. Second, it makes me look friendlier. Sunglasses block the eyes; we communicate a lot through our eyes. (Why do you think so many poker players hide behind dark glasses?) Sometimes, the same words and tone become very different without that basic eye contact, and it can offend some people that would have been fine otherwise.

There's one other reason to wear eye protection while you're at the wheel... A range instructor I know had occasion to experiment with shooting through the windshield. He was amazed at how much glass came back at him...and very glad to have had shooting glasses on.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Signal_W
    We don't have any directives on wearing glasses while on traffic stops and I don't really care how "polite" it is. I wear my glasses as much as possible and in my opinion is this is an officer safety issue.

First, I like to make sure they are dark enough so the person I'm interacting with cant see my eyes. That way he/she has no idea where I'm looking and they don't know if it's safe to reach for that gun, knife, drugs, etc. ...

Second, we had an officer make a traffic stop and when he approached the vehicle the driver sprayed him with mace. Since he had sunglasses on it minimized the effect (it didn't get into his eyes) and he was able to grab the suspects arm and fight him until back-up arrived.
    For the minimal chance that someone might spray you and the slight advantage of them not seeing your eyes, why create a dark room for them? Or, depending on just how dark your lenses are, end up "night blinded" if they're knocked off?

You can minimize the chance of being sprayed, spit on or anything else through positioning on a traffic stop; I seldom advance beyond the rear post of the driver's door unless and until I have to AND feel comfortable doing so. Passenger side approaches would also reduce the chance. You should be monitoring the occupants as you approach, and should be able to see suspect movement. Nothing says we ever HAVE to leave the driver in the car! Pa. v Mimms and Md. v Wilson allow us to control the movements of the driver and passengers of a car, whether we leave them in the car or have them step out. If they're moving too much... Have them step out!

kdm0409 is offline ^ Female Deputy
    I wear mine all the time as well and I'm a little redneck and put them on the top of my head when not wearing them... I have always done this... I agree with Will about wearing them on a stop and the individual not knowing where you are looking that does help some... I again agree with Will about not caring if it is rude or not.. who cares?!?! lol
    It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.
    ______________________________ __________
    An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break.
    ______________________________ __________
    In vino veritas!

Bandit is offline Trust me, I work for the government
    We have no restrictions on wearing sunglasses. Personally, the sun hurts my eyes. We don't wear hats any more, so there's no brim to shield the eyes. The intimidation factor is a benefit, and the ladies can't see where your eyes are looking.

AngryBassets is offline Sgt. Phatas
    I take them off before getting out of my car. I like to be able to see into the car I'm stopping.

We are supposed to wear hats whenever we are out of the car, but the current administration doesn't push the issue. Sunglasses + uniform hats = dork.
    "We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
    --George Orwell
    NOTE: NJ Supreme Court no longer allows effective policing in the "Garden State". The above statement may not apply.

PACMAN is offline Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt581
    I wear mine all the time. And I work nights.
    The sun never sets when your cool, not that I was looking at the hiked up skirt behind these oakleys honey.

Are the sunglasses prescription lenses?
    Mine are.
    (Rayban "Wayfarers" and not the "aviator" type so commonly associated with Police)

Cochese is offline The Grand Royal
    Verified LEO
    Arnettes, almost all the time when the sun is out.

NavLaw is offline Officer First Class
    if you work anyplace on or near water, the glasses are a must.
    If you can't do it from a boat. Do you really want to do it?

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    I have transition lenses for my glasses, they work fine for me.
    dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information