Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Victor is offline Rookie

Question Academy Question...

I'm not being backed by agency so I have to get my own stuff...

What kind of gun should I get? I've been recommended the Springfield XD 40 numerous times.

There is an interview that I need to get through before the academy. Should I be worried about that? How do I prepare?

Is Day 0 as difficult as it looks?

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I would look for a simple 9mm like a Glock. The ammo is cheaper and Glock tends to be cheaper then the XD.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post

What kind of gun should I get? I've been recommended the Springfield XD 40 numerous times.
    If you have a job waiting on you, what does that agency issue? If you can answer that you have your answer. If you do not have an issued weapon where you will be working you can pick what fits your hand best. With the latest generation Glocks and other pistols the fit can be adjusted so this is a moot point when it comes to learning basic pistol shooting and marksmanship. Make sure you learn the fundamentals of shooting in the academy.

There is an interview that I need to get through before the academy. Should I be worried about that? How do I prepare?
    I've never heard of this. Be yourself and give straight answers.

If you are an idiot the whole thing will be difficult up until they or you boot yourself out. If your academy is anything like mine you will earn that badge. There is more to it than running and gunning. You have to have it between the ears. You will keep learning well past the academy in this line of work. If not you will get hurt, killed, or sued into oblivion.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

pgg
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Being from CA myself I'll answer as best I can.

When I went through the academy there was a testing and selection process for it. Most was bypassed since I had an agency sending me through. One thing at my academy though is the student had to provide our own ammunition. Thats why I recommended a 9mm since it is alot cheaper. My agency provided that for me. As far as preparing for the interview I would suggest learning some about the academy (how many classes they have graduated, the director's name, his background, the College Dean etc.) Also be prepared to explain why you want to be an officer and why you selected their academy. We had a few people drop out our first day. Apparently they couldn't take the yelling. Be prepared to be yelled at, have your uniform critized, your boots disdained etc. This is normal. They want to see how you react. Five-0 is correct with what he said. Your hardest part will be book work. You need to learn everything that you can and can't do in those 6 months. Your physical stuff will be the easy part as long as you are in decent shape. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO
    The best advice I got for academy was to keep your head down, follow the crowd. If the instructors don't know your name, they won't mess with you as much. Some of the guys had a hard on about voluntering for squad leaders, class prez., etc.. In the grand scheme of things, the fact that you were a squad leader won't mean much after graduation. But if you get it and mess up, you'll catch hell from the instructors.

I don't know if you've got a live in academy or not, but what appeared to me to make the biggest difference in how the recruits did was roommates. Sit down with your roommates the first night, be sure they have studying as a priority, not staying up late goofing off. I was real lucky with mine, we did study groups and things, helped out a lot. Some of the others wanted to do good, but the roommates wanted to party/drink all night so they struggled with the classes.

All the yelling and such is just a mind game. Don't let it get to you. Just part of the game.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
    The best advice I got for academy was to keep your head down, follow the crowd. If the instructors don't know your name, they won't mess with you as much. Some of the guys had a hard on about voluntering for squad leaders, class prez., etc.. In the grand scheme of things, the fact that you were a squad leader won't mean much after graduation. But if you get it and mess up, you'll catch hell from the instructors.

I don't know if you've got a live in academy or not, but what appeared to me to make the biggest difference in how the recruits did was roommates. Sit down with your roommates the first night, be sure they have studying as a priority, not staying up late goofing off. I was real lucky with mine, we did study groups and things, helped out a lot. Some of the others wanted to do good, but the roommates wanted to party/drink all night so they struggled with the classes.

All the yelling and such is just a mind game. Don't let it get to you. Just part of the game.
    I don't want someone who is satisfied not to stand out from the crowd working with me. I want everyone I work with to be a hard charger -- in their own way. Every cop must be a leader; you must be able to take command of a scene of chaos immediately. I'm not saying that everyone must be a DUI or drug hound, or whatever; there are plenty of different sides to cop work. But you must have the drive and desire to standout in your own fashion, and not simply be part of the crowd.

I'm not saying you have to be first in line for everything, or that you have to be the class president or squad leader. But you have to put your best effort forward, every time, in every exercise and everything you do. You have to go 100% at succeeding in the academy.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    I don't want someone who is satisfied not to stand out from the crowd working with me.
    He's not saying slack off, he's saying be grey.

It's generally advice you will hear from military veterans of basic training.

Standouts get whacked.

My personal experience as a student leader in basic and tech school bears that out. I rarely got whacked for my issues, but I was yelled at constantly for the kids I was responsible for.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Victor is offline Rookie
    I'm not saying you have to be first in line for everything, or that you have to be the class president or squad leader. But you have to put your best effort forward, every time, in every exercise and everything you do. You have to go 100% at succeeding in the academy.
    This is what I did for every exercise and test that we did for the entry test and I aim to keep it up the whole time.

As far as book work goes, I consider myself a fast learner. I can absorb and apply things fairly well. Hopefully this will be an asset to me at the academy.

My uncle is with the LAPD. I should start bombing him with questions. lol

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    My uncle is with the LAPD. I should start bombing him with questions. lol
    Just pray to God he doesn't call in "checking on you". You said you were good at push ups right? About 50 of them should show that you are fine.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Bama512 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Just pray to God he doesn't call in "checking on you". You said you were good at push ups right? About 50 of them should show that you are fine.
    Yep, I had forgot about that. If anyone called to check on us other than our police chief or sheriff, then you got push ups.

Victor is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post

Then I guess I better get started. Never really like push ups much. I guess I'll have to get used to that.

What I need to do is start hopping some fences...I was slow compared to some people...

ISPTI is offline S=3.86 x √(R x Fs)
    Verified LEO
    Then I guess I better get started. Never really like push ups much. I guess I'll have to get used to that.

What I need to do is start hopping some fences...I was slow compared to some people...
    If it's anything like mine was, you'll be doing pushups until the sweat rolls off your forehead, trickles down your nose, and collects in a pool an inch deep on the ground in front of your face. Only then can you even consider stopping!

Verified LEO
    But you have to put your best effort forward, every time, in every exercise and everything you do. You have to go 100% at succeeding in the academy.

That's not what I was going for at all. Maclean said what I meant. That advice came from a veteran that worked at my department when I started. And it went exactly like Maclean said while at academy. Our class prez was a retired EOD guy, really a squared away officer, but he caught hell when some of the class wasn't up to par.

Last I talked to him the fact that he was class president hadn't added up to a hill of beans, just that he was in better shape from the push ups.

As far as checking up on people, we had a guy get a teddy bear and chocolates. Had to open the package in front of the class, and then the class voted on how many push ups he had to do. The instructors said if somebody took the time to check up on you, you needed to repay that time by making sure you were in shape.

Victor is offline Rookie
    New question:

If I wanted to do some searching to find departments that could possibly be sending students through the academy, how would I go about doing that? Is there a website or do I just have to go down to the office of every department that i would be interested in?

Verified LEO
    Around here you would have to ask each department.

Most of the job postings though will list in the requirements whether you have to be certified already or not though.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Are there personnel boards in your area Vic? When I first got started I had to take a test that was given by a county for all the agencies in that county. Based on your score the individual agencies got to contact you and then give you a physical (medical), PT test, and interviews. They then sent you to the Academy of their choice.

pgg
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The individual announcements would state so. Unfortunately in CA right now if you want to be sponsered you need to go with the big agencies (e.g. LAPD, LASD, CHP, etc). They are the only ones with enough attrition to be able to regularly hire people. Most agencies are laying off now.

Drico is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    It's kind of sad but true..most are looking to cut the budget which is resulting on officers loosing their jobs, here in NJ it has probably been the worst it's ever been in quite a long time.

Victor is offline Rookie
    I'm not afraid to relocate if I need to for a job. The only problem that I can think of with relocating is that I would have to learn the geography of the new location pretty quickly.

Drico is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I'm not afraid to relocate if I need to for a job. The only problem that I can think of with relocating is that I would have to learn the geography of the new location pretty quickly.
    lol...don't sweat that geography and location thing because I've lived in my town for over 5 years and I don't know all the streets within my 27 sq mile area of jurisdiction. It will come with time..you will learn.

As far as the academy etc..I was the Guide in my academy class and yes it was difficult at times being responsible for the rest of the class and making sure they were locked on but the instructors know the deal and most of the time you get picked by the academy staff its not exactly a volunteer thing anyway..lol..

Thread Information