Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vicodin

jzdogg6 is offline Rookie

Vicodin

Okay so I have a situation and I just wanted to hear from someone who may be an officer in California. Just a couple months ago I had my wisdom teeth pulled and I was prescribed Vicodin for a pain killer. My friend, who also around the same time had his wisdom teeth pulled, was prescribed Vicodin as well. Well he ran out of his pills, so I let him have some of mine unknowingly thinking about being possibly DQ'd from being hired as a cop. Will this wreck me during the hiring process? It is not like I was selling the drug to make a profit but, just helping a friend get through the night from pain... Its been bothering me so I just wanted some advice or opinions. Thank you!

pac201 is offline Used up and retired
    Verified LEO
    a handbasket...guess where we're going...
    technically, it is called disribution of a controlled substance; it may not dq you, but you have to remember there will be folks applying who haven't given friends pills...
    Job security...

Ecclesiastes 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    What Package said.

Thank you guys for the replies. What I did was stupid now that i think about it, and I regret it. I feel though I did what most would do (not trying to make excuse) and at the time I felt it was not that bad since he was prescribed by a doctor the same drug and I did it not for financial gain or to get him high. This is really the most serious thing that I have done now that I think about it when at the time it didn't occur to me that it was serious. I have experimented with marijuana before about a few years back, and I just don't want to make myself look like I am involved with drugs because I am not. I have an excellent credit history, possess a good vehicle history since I have no vehicle collisions or fines (only a couple fix-it tickets and school parking tickets), no misdemeanors or felonies, and I will obtain my Bachelor of Science degree this fall from CSUS. I personally feel I am an excellent candidate but now when I think about the vicodin thing I picture it damaging me and unable to find a LE job.

cajunguy is offline I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    Well, guess I'll be the devil's disciple here, but I have had dental work done where I was prescribed pain pills and have never had the need to use an entire prescription.

Of course, I do know that different people have different pain threshholds.

But I have to ask WHY did your friend (if as you say, he had a prescription - and ran out) not go back to his doctor/dentist and get an authorized (and therefore - legal) refill?

Just wonderin' out loud.

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunguy View Post
    Well, guess I'll be the devil's disciple here, but I have had dental work done where I was prescribed pain pills and have never had the need to use an entire prescription.

But I have to ask WHY did your friend (if as you say, he had a prescription - and ran out) not go back to his doctor/dentist and get an authorized (and therefore - legal) refill?

Just wonderin' out loud.

Yup.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunguy View Post

Just wonderin' out loud.

I had the same thought...

What happened to the friend's drugs?

To the original question -- disclose it. Explain the circumstances. You don't want your buddy or someone else to mention it and you not having said something about it up front. I'd start by talking about it to the recruiting officer, and seeing what they say...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    So did you get busted by the Police for distrib?

Did you get a charge from this?

Because the only one that can hurt you in this is your buddy opening his mouth order you putting it out on the table in written forrm..... Honestly is huge in LE so I wouldnt lie.....
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    It's already been said, but if they ask about it, you better disclose it. Don't lie to the background investigator. It'll ruin you the day they find out (whether it's one week or 20 yrs)

A police CHIEF near me was recently fired because he didn't disclose he received a citation for Inattentive driving about 5 years before he was hired.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I would look up section 11352(a) of the CA Health and Safety Code regarding this case. Read it, understand it, and don't do it again. Everyone else mentioned honesty when it comes to backgrounds. I can't stress that enough.

I am also curious why your friend went through all the meds that fast.

Also something else to be aware of. Section 23152 (a) of the vehicle code allows Officers to arrest someone for DUI if they are under the influence of any drugs (perscription or illegal). I have arrested people for DUI after they have taken vicodin.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Shit happens. Is it a huge deal? Probably not, but at least you recognize the issue.

Tell the truth about it.

It might lose you this job, but if you lie about it you will lose every job you ever apply for.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Thanks again to you all that replied. My buddy I guess just did not receive enough vicodin with his prescription, reasons why... I do not know. I believe I remember him telling me the certain amount that he was given and it was a lot less then the number that I received. I am going to speak to a recruiter with the department that I am interested in on Monday since she wants to go over my background with me in order to determine if I am suitable for the department. I am truly an honest guy and I am going to be straight up with everyone during the hiring processes, just scared of getting the nasty word 'NO' over something I feel is a little innocent and stupid (my opinion) considering the circumstances. Oh, and someone mentioned if I was convicted of this crime or the police caught me doing this, and the answer is no there were no charges. At the time I did not think of the consequences but, now i look back and realize that I could get screwed on this one! I am really hoping not. Thanks again everyone and stay safe.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Get used to no, but never get used to letting it stop you. That applies to more than this.

Why can't I get back to sleep?

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    i acually had a similar situation to this, and i can see how theres a real possibility that this actually happened to you...

in college i seperated my shoulder playing rugby. one of my roommates (in my fraternity) also seperated his shoulder playing rugby a couple days later. we were both prescribed percosets for pain. well, greek week came up right around the time that my prescritpion ran out...for those unfamiliar with greek week, its a week long series of athletic events ie football, softball, basketball water polo etc where all of the fraternities competed for points, and the frat with the most points in the end is crowned the champions. it was my senior year, and my fraternity had never lost a greek week during my time at the college. i also participated in every event, and was a key member for success.

anyhow, my roommate's shoulder seperation was a lesser degree then mine, and he barely used his pain pills. i, on the other hand, had finished my prescription, and felt well enough to participate, with some pain of course. well, after a few games, i was hurting bad. being a poor college student, and not having the time or transportation means to go see my doctor again, my roomamte gave me the rest of his pills (i did not purchase them, he did not sell them, he just gave them to me to help me out in my situation. also to help the fraternity, as i was a key athletic member), and i continued to punish my body throughout the week, and take a pill or two at the end of the day to alleviate the pain and soreness. once we won greek week, i stopped taking the pills.

i voluntarily disclosed this to my backround investigator and explained all of this to her. my roommate and i are both police officers today. dont try to hide it. come clean about everything...if it dq's you, apply somewhere else. nobody is perfect, departments dont expect to get perfect applicants...just honest ones.
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Exactly.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by tapout View Post
    nobody is perfect, departments dont expect to get perfect applicants...just honest ones.
    Worth repeating.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Tapout, your post was definitely relieving since it is almost exactly the same situation as mine. I will definitely put this out in front during the hiring process.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Hope you feel better about your situation now. Being a nervous wreck will not help your chances. Being up front, straight forward, and confident will.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

ezrollin is offline Rookie
    What if he had forgotten he had done something illegal or sketchy and didnt mention it? More than likely Auto DQ?
    Kinda like how if you didnt know something was illegal it doesnt matter?

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ezrollin View Post
    What if he had forgotten he had done something illegal or sketchy and didnt mention it? More than likely Auto DQ?
    Kinda like how if you didnt know something was illegal it doesnt matter?
    Are you for real?
    I'm your huckleberry...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 06-13-10, 07:20 AM

Thread Information