Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: HPs

ezrollin is offline Rookie

HPs

I've been told before by a gun nut that hollow points are actually made for stopping power. I was told that they are not as lethal as FMJ types (because with FMJs they leave 2 holes = more bleeding)
    Is this at all true?

Also is it illegal to mark an X with a knife on your FMJs?
    Will it do more damage than a HP?
    thanks alot!

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Wow,

Not as lethal as FMJ. If this were true I guess more hunters would use FMJ. Instead they use soft tip and balistic tipped ammo for hunting. Another question is do you want your bullet going through your target and hitting something it shouldn't? I have got to ask, who told you this? What kind of background do they have?

It is not illegal to "X" your ammo as far as I know. However, if you are talking a true FMJ round then good luck with that. I assume you talking about a regular lead tipped bullet.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ezrollin View Post
    I've been told before by a gun nut that hollow points are actually made for stopping power. I was told that they are not as lethal as FMJ types (because with FMJs they leave 2 holes = more bleeding)
    Is this at all true?

Also is it illegal to mark an X with a knife on your FMJs?
    Will it do more damage than a HP?
    thanks alot!
    In order....

Your friend the gun nut is an idiot, FMJ holes collapse and bleed very little externally, no, you can mark them all you want with X's or O's, no, and you're welcome.

Edited to add: There are some intelligent and experienced terminal ballistics experts that advocate FMJ ammunition in the mousegun category, suggesting that with .380's, .32's. and .25's that the penetration to vitals may be more important. I find little to disagree with in this analysis on the .32's and .25's, but there are now manufacturers who produce .380 ammunition with adequate penetration to use hollowpoints. Sorry for any confusion this edit may produce.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    It never ceases to amaze me how many "experts" give out BS advice. Yes, hollowpoints are more designed for "stopping power" but they're every bit as lethal as FMJ's with the possible exception of "mouse gun" calibers as maclean advised.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

ezrollin is offline Rookie
    yes you guys sound correct
    the place where I got this advice was off of a website my dad pointed out to me.
    I dont remember what website though sorry

Thread Information