Welcome to the APBWeb.
    ARJJ is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Any probation/parole officers here?

Hello all, most of you probably know I was a cop for almost 3 years, until I was hurt OTJ and then terminated last year.

Anyway, I have been offered a job with the state DOC as a "correctional field officer." Basically a PPO. If any of you have experience in this line of work, I'd appreciate hearing your advice, thoughts, etc., before I make the decision to accept the position. The money is comparable to what I'm making now (as a carpenter), and of course it carries excellent benefits. The only downside is that the open position is an hour away, and I'd have to drive my POV to and from work. (The state is broke so they can't aford to provide everyone cars.)

I've always been interested in doing probation/parole work, as I've learned in my LE experience that I seem to develop rapport among all different kinds of people--even the criminals. I'm also good about documenting activity, and I don't mind doing paperwork--I assume there will be a lot of that with this job.

TIA everyone.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Most of the guys that I know in that job enjoy it, except for the personal car thing. Also, once you get in the system there is some room for advancement or even change of assignment to DOC investigator, which I hear is a great job.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Cidp24, I know you're also in MS, so I take it none of the MDOC guys you know have company vehicles? I know I see plenty of MDOC Chargers (and even more Versas LOL) riding around, but I have no idea who they are or what they do.

I don't worry too much about travel to and from the office in my POV, but driving around making house calls, and going court to court is really going to cut into my check as far as vehicle maintenance and fuel goes.

I have met two guys from MDOC who were with some sort of fugitive recovery team. They apparently go get inmates who were released for some special reason and don't return by their appointed time. That seemed like a pretty cool job.

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Sounds like a good opportunity that will open doors to really great opportunities. Do it. If the commute gets terrible you can always relocate closer.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    None of them I know have take-home vehicles and I have heard that they have been promising that for several years but it hasn't happened. I think they do have some pool cars that some of them use.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Thanks for the info guys.

My wife wants me to take the job, so that's a good sign. Relocation isn't feasible, as she works in a neighboring town in the opposite direction from this job's location. However, I was told I could be moved closer to home if a position were to open up down the road.

Thread Information