Welcome to the APBWeb.
    mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO

Geek needed/ACER computer

OK,I am cheap,just bought aa new ACER brand puter,(17" laptop for $500),so far so good but quite often when typing it will go to the screen saver,no I havent touched the pad or anything besides the keys,I am a hunt and peck typist so I can be sure of thatIs this something they do or what??So far it is great for the money and since my eyes arent getting any younger,I love the big screen.Just to make a fool of me I typed all this and it didnt do it,
    ]

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Use the touchpad to give it a reminder you're there even if the screen saver hasn't kicked in yet - quick finger slide in any direction. Windows goes into standby to save power, later hibernation...just remind it you're there now and then to keep the system awake, keep typing between. If the power savings are kicking in too soon they can be adjusted.

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    That's about the only complaint I have with my Acer. I almost wonder if it's a Windows thing instead of an Acer thing.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

pac201 is offline Used up and retired
    Verified LEO
    a handbasket...guess where we're going...
    windows thing...if you're operating on the battery it is to save power, try it with the power cord plugged in, if it continues just adjust your wait time before it reverts to standby.
    Job security...

Ecclesiastes 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

Mark7 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Since you say it's a new Acer, I'll assume you have some flavor of Windows 7. Right click anywhere on the desktop, select "personalize" with a normal left click, then click on the Screen Saver icon in the lower right corner. When the Screen Saver menu appears, use the UP arrow in the"Wait XX minutes" box. The default is 5 minutes, I'd change it to anything over 20 minutes, then click "Apply," then click "OK." You should be golden then.
    “Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away”

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Thanks all,for the help.For the price you cant beat this booger,BUT,it comes with all software(that youre gonna get ,anyway) already installed.It is trial and error at finding things,just like any new puterat least for us old farts..My previous laptop was $1100.00 (5 years ago),and this one dances rings around it,so far.I have found that it doesn't spell as well though,so forgive in advance the misrtakes,I will try to teach it as I go.Any other secrets to this system,I am all ears,such as that personalize thing,neat!!
    ]

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    On XP you can select right-click Properties on the desktop, then select the screen saver tab with the screen saver delay time. and a "Power" settings button that controls when the monitor and disks power down and when the computer goes on standby, with different settings for batteries or AC power. May be in a different place in Win 7, but i'm sure it has equivalent settings.

The keyboard should always reset the timer each time you press a key, so a 10 minute time should be 10 minutes after pressing the last key. Perhaps the keyboard driver is wrong, or perhaps it has some sort of delay setting under Keyboard Properties in the control panel, or something.

So, if it's an Acer, then go to the Acer web site and download any special drivers that they have for your specific model. I don;t knoy about Acer's drivers, but my Dell laptop has a special driver for almost everything - It will limp along on standard Windows drivers, but it has lots of strange little problems with the mouse, keyboard, sound card, etc, unless you download all the Dell drivers.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Either that or he hunts and pecks REALLY slow.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Mark7 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by mavriktu View Post
    SNIP Any other secrets to this system,I am all ears,such as that personalize thing,neat!!
    I've found the seven forum the best place to find Windows 7 answers:

Windows 7 Forums
    “Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away”

Thread Information