Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sundog22 is offline Rookie

self defense 4 kids

i'm a blind martial artist who is currently helping to set up a girl's self defense program in our little town in Oregon and we'd greatly benefit from being able to have input from REAL cops- anyone willing to spend a little time doing some Q&A this morning?

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Go ahead.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

SELF D 4 KIDS

HEY,
    THANKS A LOT!
    MY FIRST & RELATES TO THE MOST COMMON TAKE DOWN TECHNIQUES ATTACKERS USE,
    WOULD THERE BE SOME PATTERNS IN TERMS OF ATTACKS FROM BEHIND, PERHAPS?

WE KNOW THAT NUMBER ONE IS TO AVOID CERTAIN SITUATIONS THAT PUT KIDS AT RISK, BUT OUR CLASS IS FOCUSING ON WHAT TO DO IF IT'S TOO LATE TO AVOID.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    For kids?

If so running and making as much noise as possible are the best bets. Taking down an adult attacker is not a likely outcome. If they are dealing with someone that is mentally/emotionally disturbed, an attempted take down will probably make the situation worse.

Attracting attention from others is the best defense.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

SELF D 4 KIDS

THANKS FIVE-O,
    WE'LL PRACTISE THAT FOR SURE, WE'LL BE SURE THEY ARE TRAINED TO SHOUT- ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO SHOUT? WE'VE ALL SEEN OR EXPERIENCED KIDS SAYING THINGS LIKE "LEAVE ME ALONE" AND "NO, NO" ETC... TO THEIR PARENTS JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE BEING FUSSY OR BRATTY, SO WHAT WOULD YOU RECOMMEND THEY SHOUT OUT TO DISTINGISH THESE CALLS AS BEING CALLS FOR HELP?

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Yelling "FIRE" supposedly attracts more attention than "HELP" or just screaming. It makes people look instantly, or so I heard from a woman's self defense instructor when I asked him why he was teaching his pupils to yell "fire" rather than "help".
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    For children, "You're not my daddy/mommy" is a good thing to say -- and fits lots of circumstances. Any parent in the area is going to look... Teach them to be a good witness, too. Things like describing clothes or cars, etc. And make sure that they really understand what a "stranger" is. Too often, I come across kids who will say a stranger is someone whose name they don't know... or otherwise don't really get the concept.

I'd suggest contacting your local police department, also. They can advise you more about what's going on, relevant concerns, and so on than we can.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    A kid screaming "This is not my daddy!" is going to attract a lot of attention from other adults. Screaming and trying to escape is the best thing they can do.

I imagine some techniques like twisting fingers, kicking the groin, and biting can help a child who has already been grabbed and is trying to escape.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    For children, "You're not my daddy/mommy" is a good thing to say -- and fits lots of circumstances. Any parent in the area is going to look... Teach them to be a good witness, too. Things like describing clothes or cars, etc. And make sure that they really understand what a "stranger" is. Too often, I come across kids who will say a stranger is someone whose name they don't know... or otherwise don't really get the concept.

I'd suggest contacting your local police department, also. They can advise you more about what's going on, relevant concerns, and so on than we can.
    I agree, screaming you are not my mommy/daddy is a good attention getter, especially if someone is grabbing or attempting to abduct.

Excellent idea, contacting your local PD, they may have a Youth Officer or Crime Prevention Officer who can come and lecture the kids. Years ago in Community policing we conducted such training sessions at senior centers, classrooms and community groups. There were pamphlets handed out, one of which, trained the eye on what to look for, especially when it came to description. Had a picture of a person, pointed to Hair, Face, Clothing, Height and so forth, just to give them an idea of what to look for. There were coloring books for the kids and Oh yea Officer McGruff used to come out too. Wonder if Officer McGruff is still taking a bite out of crime, thankfully I never had to suit up for that. Anyway, contact your local PD if they do not offer any of the above maybe they can refer you to a unit that does.

PS Most kids like this type of thing and it leaves them with good impression of the police. Sometimes even making them friends for life & with all the cop haters out there we can always use more friends.

http://www.officerresource.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic5657_1.gif
    Liberty & Justice For All!

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    Sundog, where in Oregon are you?
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

berserk is offline The reason they do psych evals
    Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundog22 View Post
    THANKS FIVE-O,
    WE'LL PRACTISE THAT FOR SURE, WE'LL BE SURE THEY ARE TRAINED TO SHOUT- ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO SHOUT? WE'VE ALL SEEN OR EXPERIENCED KIDS SAYING THINGS LIKE "LEAVE ME ALONE" AND "NO, NO" ETC... TO THEIR PARENTS JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE BEING FUSSY OR BRATTY, SO WHAT WOULD YOU RECOMMEND THEY SHOUT OUT TO DISTINGISH THESE CALLS AS BEING CALLS FOR HELP?
    "STRANGER"

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    No, not "stranger."

Simply "NO! NO! NO! LEAVE ME ALONE I DO NOT KNOW YOU!"

"Stranger" gets lost at a distance.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

beeeeutiful roseburg

self d 4 kids

Oh! this is terrific! Thanks everyone, very much. We're meeting with our sensei Wednesday, i'll bring these recommendations. He's a Shotokon, (?) karate do black belt with experience in several related hand techniques. We're feeling very fortunate. Anyway, Five-0, thanks for that reminder that it's NOT a good idea to give kids the impression they could take down an adult. as you said, the mental state of attackers is always in question!

From what I've learned here, do I have this right:
    we'll start with what they should yell and what their intent would be= to get away, yes?

and then we'll ask our sensei to show them effective ways to get way- finger breaking, kicks and I guess there are a lot of things he might teach us all.

As a blind woman, you KNOW I'm interested in this class for myself as well as for my kid friends!

Also, love the idea of teaching these kids some hand gun safety, they are between nine and 12, what do you all say? (our sensei also happens to be a self reloading gun nut, i mean expert, too)......

We'd love to have a visit from one of our local LEOs! But seriously, this is a tiny little class - and we meet in the school yard! But, I'll give 'em a call! The kids would love it and you know these kids really NEED some positive interaction with local law enforcement people because their parents messed up real bad a few years back and the kids spent time in foster care while the parents did time.

They maybe could benefit from a different relationship now, yes? and fortunately, their parents used wisely their time "away"- cleaned up, got out, got jobs and although very very poor, they aren't theivin' anymore.

That's part of why my caregiver and I have been v olunteering teaching these kids judo for the last three years! But we lost our dojo due to lack of funds and so decided to continue training together in the schoolyard and to study self defense with this very wonderful volunteer black belt where mats aren't so important. with judo you need mats!

anyway, wow, thanks again for all this expert advice, I hope I didn't go on too much!

I love this site! I appreciate your help very much!

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundog22 View Post
    Also, love the idea of teaching these kids some hand gun safety, they are between nine and 12, what do you all say? (our sensei also happens to be a self reloading gun nut, i mean expert, too)......
    As an actual professional instructor I am suspicious of anyone who claims to be an expert.

Between nine and twelve, the only gun safety that needs be taught by anyone except a parent or professional instructor on a "one on one" basis, is contained in the NRA Eddie Eagle program.

1. STOP!

2. DON'T TOUCH!

3. LEAVE the area!

4. TELL an adult.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

berserk is offline The reason they do psych evals
    Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    No, not "stranger."

Simply "NO! NO! NO! LEAVE ME ALONE I DO NOT KNOW YOU!"

"Stranger" gets lost at a distance.
    I've never compared the decibel levels of those two phrases shouted by the same person, or the ability of one set of sound waves to travel further through the same medium than the other. I'll have to take your word for it.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by berserk View Post
    I've never compared the decibel levels of those two phrases shouted by the same person, or the ability of one set of sound waves to travel further through the same medium than the other. I'll have to take your word for it.
    I didn't explain myself well - it isn't the loudness.

Hrmmm, how to explain.

Have someone run off 50 yards and say "stranger" really loud, and then have them say "no."

If it doesn't explain it, I surrender
    I'm your huckleberry...

thanks, yes, good point. my own intro to weapons was via an nra pro trainer and it was superb in every aspect... perhaps, as the year goes on, we'll see if we can get a volunteer from the nra to visit our class to give these Eddie Eagle guidelines...

any suggestions about what kids need to know about the mindset of "bad" people? I mean, the comment about what defines a stranger really rang a bell- what do kids need to understand about the an attacker looks at things, or do we just need to train their bodies to react properly if ever grabbed? Would a look into the pschology of the attacker make them too afraid at this point or would it give them a better idea of the way the world works?

luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO
    R.A.D. Kids is a self defense program like the one you are suggesting. I strongly suggest that either you or another person that would be an instructor attend a class. I'm an instructor for the woman's defense part and it's a very well put together program.

radKIDSŪ: Children's Safety Education

RAD Systems: Rape Aggression Defense: The National Standard in Self Defense Education(tm)

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Maybe 9-1-1- shouted extremley loud??
    ]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information