Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    K9ForLife is offline Banned
    You'll see a multitude of reasons on why we became cops. For some it's because they really believe they can make a difference and for some it's just a job. I never came in here (27 years ago) believing I was going to clean up the world so I guess I'm here for the paycheck. That being said you still need not only a backbone and guts but you also need the moral makeup that allows you to see things out here that would tempt most men and women but makes you only say silently--Man I could use that. That's normal but you know it's wrong. I'll never be rich in my job although I make a decent living. I have a choice of many jobs to choose from and I've chosen K9 (20 years). If you want a job that offers a variety like few others can do then apply to be a LEO.

REGEX is offline Rookie
    Thanks for all the responces, every one of them has shown me that LE is the best choice for me. The only real thing that worrys me is knowing the kind of things that LEO's see and if I could handle them. The main thing is murders and inocent victims killed. That kind of stuff pisses me off and the thought that you can't do anything about it. Though without the cops many more inocent victims would die.

There is a peace officer academy in the fall and I am planning on attending. Can't wait!

It is a real pleasure to know that there is some place I can go and get so much input from LEO from across the country and the world.
    Last edited by REGEX; 04-20-06 at 07:12 PM.

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    Quote Originally Posted by REGEX
    Thanks for all the responces, every one of them has shown me that LE is the best choice for me. The only real thing that worrys me is knowing the kind of things that LEO's see and if I could handle them. The main thing is murders and inocent victims killed. That kind of stuff pisses me off and the thought that you can't do anything about it. Though without the cops many more inocent victims would die.

There is a peace officer academy in the fall and I am planning on attending. Can't wait!

It is a real pleasure to know that there is some place I can go and get so much input from LEO from across the country and the world.
    If you can look at the videos and pictures here without problems you will be ok. http://www.ogrish.com/index2.html

Of course nothing is like seeing it infront of you.
    This message was brought to you by Tampons. We
    aren't the best thing in the world but we are right up
    there next to it.

To them its always 'scary and aggressive' driving. To us its at times a matter of life and death." -LawnMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmYie3bB3OU

REGEX is offline Rookie
    I don't like to see things like that, but they don't bother me. I think the "could I have done something" would bother more. One of my cop friends told me that he came up on a young girl that wrecked her car, she was trapped and it was on fire. He could not get her out and was trying to put out the fire and the girl looked at her and told her "Thank you" and then the gas tank blew, burning the whole car killing her. He said that he did not sleep for two weeks.

This is the kind of thing that worrys me. Something like that could get to you. Though I am a pretty hard person and not very sensitive to much, but that is hard core. Probably more of a women and children thing for me. I don't know.

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    I don't like to see things like that, but they don't bother me. I think the "could I have done something" would bother more. One of my cop friends told me that he came up on a young girl that wrecked her car, she was trapped and it was on fire. He could not get her out and was trying to put out the fire and the girl looked at her and told her "Thank you" and then the gas tank blew, burning the whole car killing her. He said that he did not sleep for two weeks.

This is the kind of thing that worrys me. Something like that could get to you. Though I am a pretty hard person and not very sensitive to much, but that is hard core. Probably more of a women and children thing for me. I don't know.

We are not hard asses. That stuff bothers everyone. Its all about how you let yourself deal with it. Some guys can't.

Don't worry about that.
    This message was brought to you by Tampons. We
    aren't the best thing in the world but we are right up
    there next to it.

To them its always 'scary and aggressive' driving. To us its at times a matter of life and death." -LawnMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmYie3bB3OU

lcsodre108 is offline DUI Persecutor
    I was asked why I wanted to be a cop when I took my psyche eval before going to the academy. My answer was, because it is what I have always wanted to do, ever since watching CHiPs, and Emergency when I was a kid. In this line of work you either love it, or hate it. If you hate it, you won't last long. There is no middle ground in Law Enforcement. I would not do anything different.
    www.alliedoddballs.com
    I can't do this test when I am sober!

Respect My AUTHORITAE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chris2001 is offline Captain

As Glock stated we are not hard asses or as some say brick walls. We still feel the pain of those that we encounter on a daily basis. But you must not let those things get to you until you are done with your shift and at home or around other officers. Its out job to stay strong for those that are in pain and suffering in front of us.

One of the hardest things to deal with in this job is kids. There is nothing that can prepare you for dealing with the death of a child no matter if its do to medical or murder. It still gets to you and it hits you hard real hard.

You simply wait till its over then you go home and talk to friends and loved ones about it. Or you find someone to talk to. Because if you don't talk about it then your not doing yourself any good. Your only hurting yourself.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

26Trainer is offline Master Officer
    My thoughts exactly Chris2001, could not have put it any better. Seeing kids hurt, maimed, and killed really does touch home especially infants.
    "This flag, which we honor and under which we serve, is the emblem of our unity, our power, our thought and purpose as a nation. It has no other character than that which we give it from generation to generation." Woodrow Wilson, 1917

ida40dj is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    will never forget one month after academy doing cpr on a 8 month old child,didnt make it, my son was 10 months old at the time i held him and cryed for hours. but in the end i did all i could do,it was this kids time and at least i tryed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information