Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Speeders and 911

Ok, like most of my questions, this one has the potential for great stupidity, but here I go anyhow.

I was just in the middle of nowhere on a two lane highway, speed limit 55 (I was doing 60) and a sport bike blew by me like I was standing still. I mean that literally, this guy was pushing 100 easy. After a two second internal debate with "Better safe than sorry" winning, I hit 911 and called it in with location, direction, description, etc. If this guy so much as twitched wrong there would have been all of a smear left, no protective gear at all, riding in a t-shirt and (I think) shorts. My question is, do calls like that do a damn bit of good? Are they appreciated or more of a nuisance?
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

cajunguy is online now I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    In my department, when such a call is received (and we do get them), the info is passed on to the road deputies in that area, and also on to the local PD (if inside - or if they are headed into) the city, and/or on to the State Police if on a state or interstate highway.

Now as to if "Zippy" is ever caught or not, obviously that depends on luck. (Or after another call comes in that theres been a crash down the road involving some fool on a crotch-rocket who just tried to push an 18-wheeler with his face.)

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Here, the call gets put out but with only 4.5 miles of Interstate, by the time you get an officer headed that way he is in the next jurisdiction. The rest of our area is too congested for extreme speeds. We also transfer the call to the next jurisdiction. These types rarely get caught because they are moving so fast.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    It's appreciated. Something like that though, without someone keeping up, it'll just get aired as a Be on the Lookout/BOLO to that area's cars.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Yeah, I didn't expect him to get caught really, my honest thought was it might help with the accident reconstruction or other crisis scenario.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    yeah, same here as 121 - we put them out as BOLOs - because with them moving so fast, there's really no way you can get a car up there quick enough - and even if you could "head them off" who's to say they haven't already changed direction, turned off, etc.

but, don't think that they're not appreciated - b/c like you said Ducky - if it comes down to it, that call could show how long he was driving like a donkey for...
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

Captain America is online now Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Yeah, I didn't expect him to get caught really, my honest thought was it might help with the accident reconstruction or other crisis scenario.

It would Ducky. It would also help if the idiot becomes involved in a crash down the road with another motorist to establish your jackass was operating in a reckless manner beforehand.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Here that would be broadcast as information on the chance someone was nearby, but not assigned to a specific car.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    Here that would be broadcast as information on the chance someone was nearby, but not assigned to a specific car.
    Same here.........., but if the caller is following, then a unit is assigned.
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    It would be appreciated here.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    We get traffic complaints all the time, and we do respond to them. Most of them are possible DUI complaints, but aggressive/reckless driving complaints are also taken. When we observe the suspect doing something unlawful we act. Hell when I see a crotch rocket doing triple digits I radio it in and get units in front of it alerted.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Same here.........., but if the caller is following, then a unit is assigned.
    Same here. IF it's State and it's on a highway/interstate. If it's in our area, our dispatch will send somone regardless. They're usually GOA.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

berserk is offline The reason they do psych evals
    Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    Here they air the call and cancel it. Occasionally, if someone happens to be in the area, an officer will pipe up to go check for the car. I've found them once or twice, and it's usually not too hard to justify a stop.

For the most part, the car will be GOA or there won't be anyone available to check for it. Like Second Chance said, if the RP is following then a car gets assigned. Of course, if the RP has to double the speed limit to follow the "suspect," then it turns into a different kind of discussion once we find them both.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Here the call is assigned to a sector car. But the sector car is typically close to the call 1 out of 50 times, and the suspect vehicle is almost always GOA.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Yeah, not only was I not going to follow his sterling example of doubling the posted speed, my vehicle would likely explode if I tried. I just hoped I wasn't causing the dispatchers to roll their eyes in annoyance at me.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Depends on the circumstances. If it's some variant of "unknown blue car driving aggressively on Main Street"... it goes out as a lookout, and if someone's close they'll try to look for it, maybe. If it's a more specific violation, like "driving at 95 because they passed me while I was going 55 as if I was standing still", with a direction of travel, decent vehicle description and/or tag, and other good info... It's much more likely to be acted on. If you're still following or still have 'em in site... someone can be dispatched to it.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Thread Information