Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO

Homework time... again...

Well, once again, the school year has started.

Once again, we start seeing lots of requests for information to help with papers and homework. As a free service, let me offer the following tips to students:

>Pay attention in class. When the instructor gives you a deadline, don't wait till the night before to try to find the answers. Often, instructors will give you clues about where to find answers.

>Read the textbook. Do the supplemental readings, too. Do some research on your own before you come on-line. In most places, I'd caution that there's no way to know if the person answering you is a cop. OfficerResource is one of the few places that I am confident saying that if a person's tag says "Verified" -- they are what they say.

>Interview assignments: Few instructors want you to do these by email or by asking on a message board. First, how are you going to know who you're talking to for real? Second, the give and take of an actual conversation is different and much more instructive than reading typed responses -- even if it's on a chat line. We're visual creatures, by and large. Lots of communication is non-verbal -- and therefore completely absent on-line.
    So -- how do you get an interview assignment done? Well -- start by not waiting till the last minute. Then, contact the local police or sheriff's departments. Many officers are perfectly willing to talk to an interested student for a few minutes -- and most departments have a community resource officer or public information officer whose job is to either do this or make it happen. Contact the agency, and make an appointment. Show up on time. Show up prepared. And be respectful of the officer's time.
    >Papers: Plan ahead. Do your research first. If you ask a question here that shows you've done your basic research -- I bet you'll get more positive responses. There's a huge difference between "what are three issues facing law enforcement today" and "I've been reading about challenges facing LE today; is the economy really causing more crime?"

Oh... and you prospective LEOs... do at least one, and probably several ride-alongs. With different agencies. Ideally agencies of different sizes or missions; a rural county sheriff's day is not the same as a municipal cop's.

Finally, my general advice on majors in college: Study something you're interested in. Use criminal justice as a minor or dual major; you never know what might happen down the road, or what might help you on the job. For example -- 15 years ago, nobody would likely have predicted the need for computer forensics that we see today. Or if you want to investigate financial crimes, a good business or accounting background would probably be quite helpful, no? And -- if you're interested, you'll do better in your classes. Better grades and better class performance will reflect better on you than mediocre grades... Especially since we teach you most of the cop-stuff you need to know in the academy and field training.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

berserk is offline The reason they do psych evals
    Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    I don't minds questions. Even if they get the info they're looking for from us, they're still going to have to find a more academic source to back it up with than "some guy on the internet said...."

Of course, you are absolutely correct that a question that shows some effort will get a much more helpful response than if someone just posts their assignment and asks for the answers.

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    It's not the questions I mind... It's the "do my homework for me" posts. Or the "I waited until the last minute, and now I'm trying to slip through with internet stuff rather than do the assignment the way it was intended" stuff...

Questions are great. Questions from students are great; they sometimes make me learn something new!
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

For those LEOs in school, a few tips for success-from one who has been there! I earned a Masters in Public Administration and a Juris Doctor degree while working full time as a LEO. I even managed to pass the bar on the first attempt! Plenty of studying during part-time jobs and working many shifts with 4 hours of sleep!

First- stay ahead of assignments. Read and research early in the semester to avoid the crunch at the end.

Second- "Study actively!" Staring at your class notes will only strain your eyes....or put you to sleep! Type your handwritten notes or reorganize your typed notes on a weekly basis.

Third-Review your notes on a weekly basis. By the end of the semester, you have manipulated and read your class notes 16 times and you will be ready for exams or final papers.

Getting a degree while working is about as tough as it gets, but it is worth it!

Stay safe.

Thread Information