Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    Get a fairly recent model used car. Make sure to get things like ABS and side airbags. I wouldn't go too big; parking and handling a bigger vehicle can be tricky. And it invites having lots of people riding in the car... I'd suggest a mid to full size car, from one of the dealerships that offer certification and warranties.
    Oh -- and insist on a Carfax or similar report showing the vehicle's history...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Bigdaddy1 is offline Officer First Class
    Do departments report car records? Unless the issue is reported it dont get listed. I have seen very detailed Carfax reports, (showing service history, etc) and some that show absoulutly NOTHING other than the fact the car exists. I am not sure where they get the info, but I would take a Carfax report with a grain of salt.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    A vehicle's care is going to vary by department. I can speak only of the agencies I've worked for. The first one I was happy if the vehicle made it through a shift. Nuff said. My current agency assigns me a vehicle. I take it home, and I share it with no one. This allows my agency to hold me responsible for its care. For example, if I miss an oil filter change I get disciplined. Simple. I treat this car like it is mine because for all purposes it is mine. A written record of all service is maintained in our vehicles including yearly inspection dates. The cars are inspected every month, but a supervisor actually signs, dates, and records the mileage once a year on the in car written record. This is the kind of agency you want to look for if you go this route.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdaddy1 View Post
    Do departments report car records? Unless the issue is reported it dont get listed. I have seen very detailed Carfax reports, (showing service history, etc) and some that show absoulutly NOTHING other than the fact the car exists. I am not sure where they get the info, but I would take a Carfax report with a grain of salt.
    I don't know where Carfax data comes from. I think it's gathered from insurance reports and other sources, so it may include accidents, it may not. That advice was more on buying any used car, because it will show if the car was salvaged or otherwise has hidden problems.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Carfax can show routine service work if performed at a dealership. Then again we use an agency shop.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Bama512 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Of course, if you want the best police interceptor, buy the chief's car. The chief at my old dept. didnt even have a blue light or siren in his. It never saw a hard day's use at all. The seats were that velour type too.

My car came from one of those companies that buy used police cars and they re-paint and repair them and re-sell with a one year warranty. I got it with 61,000 miles and have 109,000 on it now. I've had to replace the lighting control module ($400) and the usual tires/battery/brake pads since.We are responsible for being sure all maintenance is done.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information