Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can I make it?

Can I make it?

I'm wondering if I should attempt to go through the hiring process or not. What I am about to tell you is the honest, 100% truth about myself. I am a 21 year old male. I am currently a college student with a few years left to go. When I was 16, I tried marijuana 3 teams. When I was 19, I was cited for underage drinking. I also attempted to go into the Navy, but was discharged due to medical reasons. My discharge was neither Honorable, nor Dishonorable, nor even General Under Honorable Conditions. It is what is known as Erroneous Enlistment/Entry Level Separation, which as told to me by the CO at basic training means that "I did not have enough time to properly evaluate your conduct to actually characterize your service." I was in the Navy for less than 180 days, this is why my discharge is somewhat unique. Had I served longer than 180 days, I probably would have been Honorably Discharged. But that is mere speculation.

Oh, and I don't have bad credit, never had a bill/loan passed to a collection agency, never owed any back taxes, none of that.

So, what do you all think? If you need any more information, by all means, I'll tell you anything else you may need to know.

Thanks,

PlatoKnowsBest

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    1. Are you in shape? How many push ups can and sit ups you do in a minute. 1.5 mile run time?
    2. Be honest about your past. IE what you got caught doing and what you just did.
    3. Get your degree. Try to intern in something LE related if that is what you want to do.

Know that people with great resumes get turned down. I'm living proof. Sticking with what you want to do is hard or everyone would be doing it. This is no exception.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

So you don't think the things I've outlined will look too badly on me? To answers your questions:

1. I haven't really thought about pushups and situps, but I know that I can run 1.5 miles in 10 minutes. I did it just last week, actually. I suppose I could find out my ability for the others, though. If I had to guess right now, I'd say probably 25 pushups and 40 situps in a minute. I could test it, though, tomorrow.

2. Everything I've told you is what it is. If you were to hook me up to a polygraph test, I'd say the exact same things I just said to you. If you tested me and asked, "Have you ever tried marijuana?" I'd answer yes.

3. I will try to do that, but only if I know I won't be wasting my time. I really need to know if my background is alright. What do you think?

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I asked about your conditioning based solely on your discharge status. Being honest will not get your hired to every job you apply for but being dishonest will get you fired every time. How long ago were your experiences with weed. I ask because as I have seen on here that is a factor at some agencies. Having experiences with weed and the like is one thing and depending on where you apply an arrest is a different matter.

I don't hire or making hiring decisions at my agency. I am an FTO that evaluates people once they are here. Having said that, each person is a totality of their circumstances. Some places will tell you flat out any drugs and you are out of here. Others will not given certain time frames and situations I suppose. My current agency has a hiring pool so deep that they would not consider you. Then again some of the agencies I have worked for in the past would look at your degree (if you complete it), your PT tests results ect and hire you. My first agency would hire you barring no other problems other than weed. Granted they only asked me about arrests and there was no polygraph. Just things to consider.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

When I was 16, for the weed.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatoKnowsBest View Post
    When I was 16, for the weed.

I would go for it. Be persistent,and put as many irons in the fire as possible.

Alright. One more thing I have to ask. Do you consider a writing job a good job to have while in college? I know I sit behind a computer to do my job, but having refined writing skills is certainly a valued asset among the skill set of a Police Officer, right?

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I also attempted to go into the Navy, but was discharged due to medical reasons. My discharge was neither Honorable, nor Dishonorable, nor even General Under Honorable Conditions. It is what is known as Erroneous Enlistment/Entry Level Separation, which as told to me by the CO at basic training means that "I did not have enough time to properly evaluate your conduct to actually characterize your service."
    Why were you discharged?
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

They said I had adjustment disorder. I'm no Dr. so I can't really tell you exactly what that means. Basically, I was struggling in Basic Training and they sent me to see a Dr. and the Dr. said I should go home.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    They said I had adjustment disorder. I'm no Dr. so I can't really tell you exactly what that means. Basically, I was struggling in Basic Training and they sent me to see a Dr. and the Dr. said I should go home.
    Yeah, that's sort of what I figured. It's called "failure to adapt."

That is going to be looked at long and hard by a police agency, but you should still try.

What sort of stuff were you struggling with?
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    Yeah, that's sort of what I figured. It's called "failure to adapt."

That is going to be looked at long and hard by a police agency, but you should still try.

What sort of stuff were you struggling with?
    Just knowing that after Basic I would only get 2 weeks to come home and then I would be away from home again another 3 months going to training school, and then after that going home 2 weeks then going on a 6 month deployment away from home.

I just really wasn't taking too kindly to that. It affected everything about me. Police Academy is different though, and the LE field in general. I know that I will come home every night(God willing, anyway) after I complete the academy. That's a very comforting thought to me. Family is very important. The thought of being away from them for all of that time was pretty tough.

And yes, obviously if I were to be killed in the line of duty, I would never see them again. But that's different. I could die outside of LE in a normal every day car accident or something. But at least I won't be away all the time.

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    It's been a couple of years -- but that could be a problem. See Adjustment Disorder. It's a diagnosis that doesn't suggest good things for how you handle stress. And LE is a stressful job, to say the least. Still -- it's not a guaranteed down-check. You can expect some questions and probably a detailed psych evaluation. You might want to look into getting yourself assessed up front...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    It's been a couple of years -- but that could be a problem. See Adjustment Disorder. It's a diagnosis that doesn't suggest good things for how you handle stress. And LE is a stressful job, to say the least. Still -- it's not a guaranteed down-check. You can expect some questions and probably a detailed psych evaluation. You might want to look into getting yourself assessed up front...
    You mean by a Dr. on my own, before applying? And that's OK if they need to examine me more carefully, I'd be fine with it.

luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO
    The time thing will be alot better in LE. But you will still catch a ton of stress from other places. Do you think you can keep your cool under pressure? When it gets time to show that your the man in charge, you won't back down, will you be able to step up? You have to be able to turn your aggression on AND off real quick. When the fight's on, it's on by god, but when it's over, you have to be able to control yourself.

Sarge405 is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    Just knowing that after Basic I would only get 2 weeks to come home and then I would be away from home again another 3 months going to training school, and then after that going home 2 weeks then going on a 6 month deployment away from home.

I just really wasn't taking too kindly to that. It affected everything about me. Police Academy is different though, and the LE field in general. I know that I will come home every night(God willing, anyway) after I complete the academy. That's a very comforting thought to me. Family is very important.
    Ok, I am reading a separation disorder here. Lets dwell on that first. Some academies are camp based, some school based. All depts require on-going monthly training. Some of that will be team based, boot camp style. Emergency call-ups are there. I have slept in my car and office chair more nights than I care to remember. As luckyme said, this is one of the most stressfull jobs there is. If your first priority is a job that is putting in 8hrs and going home to the family this may not be it.

Being a police officer is a calling. You do it because its in your bones. Yes we love our families and this job takes its toll on the family life, but the "job" IS a part of our family. We don't count the minutes waiting to go home.

On the subject of drugs and alcohol. Thats a odds type of deal. There are applicants who lived their lives cleanly with their eyes on the prize. Never wavering from the goal of their dream of becoming a police officer. You will be up against them.
    "Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character."
    Albert Einstein

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    You mean by a Dr. on my own, before applying? And that's OK if they need to examine me more carefully, I'd be fine with it.
    Yep, on your own. For two reasons: first, if there's still a problem (earlier could just have been immaturity that you've grown out of), you can deal with it; second, you can go in armed with a statement from the doctor if it becomes a problem.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Captain America is online now Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    [QUOTE]
    Can I make it?
    /QUOTE]

I don't know , can you? Only you can answer that. Honestly your track record isn't good. How do I know that when it's just you and me against a car load of thugs and the shit hits the fan your not going to decide you don' t want to do this anymore and head home?

The advice you've been given is great but you need to think long and hard about this committment
    and decide if this is what you want to do. Being a police officer takes lots of heart and mind. You won't be successful without both. Not everybody is cut out to be a cop and there is no shame in that.

Good luck to you in whatever career path you select.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    Alright. One more thing I have to ask. Do you consider a writing job a good job to have while in college? I know I sit behind a computer to do my job, but having refined writing skills is certainly a valued asset among the skill set of a Police Officer, right?
    As far as writing goes, I'll offer this. I got a degree in journalism and spent 3 years after college working in this field before I decided to reverse course and get into LE. I would say that, without a doubt, I write more (in terms of actual words written) and I write about more complicated things than I ever did as a journalist. The biggest difference is that the writing you do in a journalism job is intended for an informational or entertainment purpose. The writing we do on this job is intended to result in convictions. Far more at stake here. Anytime you can refine your writing skills and get better, the more prepared you'll be for a career in LE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Dropping out of the military will hurt you where you live. PA is BIG on veterans preference. I know. I don't have military experience, and it is a big reason that I don't live in PA anymore.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

berserk is offline The reason they do psych evals
    Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    At the place where I work, none of what you said here would disqualify you, although some of it would lead to more scrutiny. I know guys with worse than that in their past who've been cops for years. Just put in a lot of applications.

Most selection processes don't meaningfully evaluate your writing skills, but if you are a skilled writer than your career will go much more smoothly. Definitely stick with that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information