Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Academy

cajunguy is online now I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by keith720 View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out if a dentist in Louisiana is rich from too much work, or poor from lack of work?
    Trust me when I say that my dentist got rich off of me.

And that isn't counting what he made off his other victims - - - errrrr - - - patients.

(He really is a great guy, and besides the dentist/patient relationship, we're good friends.)

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunguy View Post
    Well, those of us down here in the "deep South" know that anyone north of I-10 ain't nuttin' but a Dayum YANKEE.

But we luvs ya anyway, Chief.

All right, no "yankee" crap or I'll start making southern jokes.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

LAChief is offline Banned
    <OP sitting back, reading the thread, wondering "What the hell is going on">

Teeth or lack of, braces, swamp rats, cheese, Yankees, Washington State.....it's all good!

cajunguy is online now I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by LAChief View Post
    <OP sitting back, reading the thread, wondering "What the hell is going on">

Just a normal day at OR, Chief. Nuttin' unusual, nuttin' to see here. Everything's normal. (Or is that AB-normal? Hmmmmmm.)

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunguy View Post
    Trust me when I say that my dentist got rich off of me.

And that isn't counting what he made off his other victims - - - errrrr - - - patients.

(He really is a great guy, and besides the dentist/patient relationship, we're good friends.)

Don't know. I'm scared of the dentist I count as a friend.

Of course, that might be because he's an Army Reserve Colonel. Special Forces. As in Green Berets.

(Personally -- that's a terrifying image. Dropping dentists behind enemy lines. Some poor guy goes to sleep all happy and thinking he's safe... and wakes to a root canal. Without anesthesia!)
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

berserk is offline The reason they do psych evals
    Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    We employed ground fighting during our yearly in-service, but command staff had to cut it out, too many people getting hurt. Sure was fun though.........;-)
    I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I'd rather get injured in training than on the street. Training should be conducted as safely as possible, but it needs to be conducted.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan701 View Post
    By boxing, I meant getting hit in the face durng combat training. I've head that most academys use brazilian jiu jitsu for fighting tactics. Is there any truth to this?
    Mine did. In the interest of keeping it applicable to LE, some techniques are emphasized while others are left out.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    We had a "mad minute" in my academy. You go against two guys holding pads. You punch, kick, shove, knee ect to keep them off you for one minute straight. The drill let you know that if backup was three minutes away you were in a world of shit believe me. One pad holder got his nose broken because he got lazy with the pad. Outside of that it was PPCT, basic joint locks, and cuffing drills.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    There was an academy in our area that allowed for a "bar room brawl" on the first day of attendance. It was supposed to be designed to "weed out" the weaker minded. 2 "officers" and a room full of bar attendees. Officers were in student red man gear and suspects were in full red man gear. Ultimately they beat the shit out of you. 2 persons assigned to my shift were moderately to severely injured during their attendance. One had a strained ankle and was on crutches and another had an existing injury aggravated to the point of extensive surgery. That's bullshit, period.
    The officers were unarmed and no firearm was to be simulated. It was strictly a hand to hand fight situation. I'm all for realistic training but I will not train to a no win situation. I feel if you train that way you will believe that way. If it ever gets so bad that the "whole bar" decides to come get some I'm thinking I may make the evening news and get a vacation. I have heard the academy in question has somewhat come to it's senses. I remain skeptical.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO
    No boxing here. The only thing we did that might affect that is they taught a pressure point directly below the nose. As long as your training partner knows about it, and you can demonstrate proper technique, it shouldn't matter.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    There was an academy in our area that allowed for a "bar room brawl" on the first day of attendance. It was supposed to be designed to "weed out" the weaker minded. 2 "officers" and a room full of bar attendees. Officers were in student red man gear and suspects were in full red man gear. Ultimately they beat the shit out of you. 2 persons assigned to my shift were moderately to severely injured during their attendance. One had a strained ankle and was on crutches and another had an existing injury aggravated to the point of extensive surgery. That's bullshit, period.
    The officers were unarmed and no firearm was to be simulated. It was strictly a hand to hand fight situation. I'm all for realistic training but I will not train to a no win situation. I feel if you train that way you will believe that way. If it ever gets so bad that the "whole bar" decides to come get some I'm thinking I may make the evening news and get a vacation. I have heard the academy in question has somewhat come to it's senses. I remain skeptical.

Bet they get high marks for training shitty tactics. I'm am very guilty of nodding no to the question posed by a group, "What, you can't take us by yourself?" He who laughs last is getting paid time and a half filling out a van load of arrest reports after the calvary arrives, and we as a whole then nod, YES!!!

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Yep, that's pointless bullshit. I'm all for weeding out people who don't belong, but that should be accomplished without resorting to silly hazing rituals.

Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    We had a "mad minute" in my academy. You go against two guys holding pads. You punch, kick, shove, knee ect to keep them off you for one minute straight. The drill let you know that if backup was three minutes away you were in a world of shit believe me. One pad holder got his nose broken because he got lazy with the pad. Outside of that it was PPCT, basic joint locks, and cuffing drills.
    My first academy had something like that, but they made us put our heads on a baseball pat and spin around it a few times first to make sure we were disoriented. I know, it wasn't my idea. The rest of our DT was a sort of diet version of PPCT with a couple of Aikido techniques thrown in. Then there was the obligatory speedcuffing exercises and a little bit of groundfighting.

My second academy taught Koga, Krav Maga, and some jiu jitsu. There were a lot of two-on-one drills in krav and ground fighting, usually done at half to 3/4 intensity. They were trying to wear us out and then make us fight someone who was fresh, but they weren't trying to injure us. We only had one day of boxing, and it wasn't for the sake of imparting techniques for the street. It was presented as a way to make sure that the first time we got our bell rung it was in a safe environment.

armygrnt502 is offline Making my streets safer, one day at a time
    Verified LEO
    We did PPCT, red man drills, cuffing techniques and some ground fighting techniques. The PPCT was pretty standard, we had books, the instructor taught us from that. When it came to cuffing techniques, he showed us what the book had, then showed us what really worked and what would get your butt kicked or killed.

We had a guy in our class that was a MMA fighter (in his part time) and was very helpful in showing us moves for grapples and ground fighting. Ive used a couple of them while on patrol and once you realize that something actually works, not only does your own self confidence skyrocket, but you have total faith in what youve been taught.

Our red man drills were different. We had to run around the indoor track once, go through an obstacle course and "corner" our subject. We were to use non lethal means and were given only a few moves to use. Some got their assess handed to them, some just got roughed up. All in all it was a good learning experience.

Back on the topic of braces...there are guys that I work with that have braces. I dont remember anybody in my class having them, but I did see guys from other classess with them..guess it depends on your agency.
    "Sometimes people need a little help. Sometimes people need to be forgiven. And sometimes they need to go to jail."

Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    Odd. What's the value of a red man drill if they tell you what moves to use?

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    When my daughter went through the academy, she was put into a room with a deputy who had worked for me on the street. He is a Master DT instructor, a physical monster and he can't feel any pain.

He began by literally tearing her gunbelt off her body....and then it got bad. She wouldn't give up and fought him for a number of minutes before they called it off. She passed because she wouldn't give up....but she found out just how bad it can be when you run into someone like this guy.

She came out sore and humble but a whole lot wiser.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

armygrnt502 is offline Making my streets safer, one day at a time
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by berserk View Post
    Odd. What's the value of a red man drill if they tell you what moves to use?
    That was my original thought too. We could use the open palm strike to the chest, a kick ( i dont remember which one, front snap if I remember) and then once the red man was back, we pulled out our baton and proceeded to do strikes on the leg and hip region until he went down.
    "Sometimes people need a little help. Sometimes people need to be forgiven. And sometimes they need to go to jail."

Ryan701 is offline Officer First Class
    Thanks everyone! It's nice to hear these academy stories. Is there anything else that the academy might have that might affectme having braces on my teeth?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information