Welcome to the APBWeb.
    213th is offline Solipsist
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Certificate of Registration

I have a couple questions about vehicle registration. I renewed my vehicle reg in Nov using the online option. I promptly had the money deducted from my account and an email receipt. It is now January and I don't have my certificate of registration or the year sticker for my plate. The DMV website lists my registration as current.

I've attempted to contact DMV (phone disconnected after 15min on hold so I emailed them) and am awaiting a reply.

In the meantime, without the proper year sticker on my truck, I realize that I will probably attract attention. Would it be best to A) not drive my truck at all B) carry a copy of the receipt email or C) not worry about it. Could I still face a ticket (even though the system says I am currently registered) because the year sticker is incorrect, or would I likely just be on my way when it was explained to any potential officers making a traffic stop?

I rarely drive my truck more then the half mile to the store as I have a work vehicle, but there are times where I go elsewhere.

Any input would be welcome, especially from any Wisconsin LE.
    Last edited by 213th; 01-08-11 at 04:24 PM. Reason: add info
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I can't speak for Wisconsin, but here you would still risk a stop and cite for improper display. My MDC would show your plates as valid. I can't speak for everyone else, but if it were here you may get stopped, but I wouldn't write you after you explained the situation. For that matter I normally don't even write it if they have the sticker on them.

Good stop to look for something else, but my opinion is you're just being damn picky if you write that one.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

cajunguy is offline I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    Thank the post office for probably delivering your stuff to the wrong address. (Not that the post office would EVER do that.)

I checked my mailbox a couple of days ago, and had five pieces of mail in it. Two were mine and the other three were for my next door neighbor. (Had HIS address on all of them.)

Incompetant turds tend to pizz me off.

Jus' sayin'.

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunguy View Post
    Thank the post office for probably delivering your stuff to the wrong address. (Not that the post office would EVER do that.)

I checked my mailbox a couple of days ago, and had five pieces of mail in it. Two were mine and the other three were for my next door neighbor. (Had HIS address on all of them.)

Incompetant turds tend to pizz me off.

Jus' sayin'.

That very well could be, we get our neighbors mail time to time. Unfortunatly our other neighbor doesn't care for us to much, if he got it I'm probably SOL in ever seeing it again.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    You could get stopped here (we use tabs on the plate) but the update would show up in the DOL computer.

You might get an onery Trooper or traffic guy, but I'd send you over to the nearest DOL office with a warning, if I stopped you at all. Chances are better I would run the plate and see that it was current and move on to something more interesting.

If you do drive, carry the receipt for sure.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    You could get stopped here (we use tabs on the plate) but the update would show up in the DOL computer.

You might get an onery Trooper or traffic guy, but I'd send you over to the nearest DOL office with a warning, if I stopped you at all. Chances are better I would run the plate and see that it was current and move on to something more interesting.

If you do drive, carry the receipt for sure.
    This.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Thanks guys! I hope the DMV gets back to me soon (and doesn't give me to much trouble). We usually take the wife's car for most stuff, and I rarely take my truck out of the town I live in. I just wanted to know the risk I'd be taking if I chose to/needed to take it elsewhere.

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Look up the statute. In VA, the printed out e-receipt legally serves as your registration until your card and stickers get there. Meaning you can't get a ticket. May be the same in WI.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
    I can't speak for Wisconsin, but here you would still risk a stop and cite for improper display. My MDC would show your plates as valid. I can't speak for everyone else, but if it were here you may get stopped, but I wouldn't write you after you explained the situation. For that matter I normally don't even write it if they have the sticker on them.

Good stop to look for something else, but my opinion is you're just being damn picky if you write that one.
    I'd do (and have done!) much the same. Stop 'em, find out the situation, and point the driver to DMV to straighten it out. In a couple cases over the years, we discovered a larceny (theft of the decal)...

Carry the receipt, and start hounding DMV for the proper stickers. Accept that you may get stopped, or a parking ticket (depending on laws).
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesCopPodz View Post
    Look up the statute. In VA, the printed out e-receipt legally serves as your registration until your card and stickers get there. Meaning you can't get a ticket. May be the same in WI.
    If the cop wants to be an ass about it, he can ticket in VA. It's improper display; section 1 of 46.2-613, which reads (in relevant part):
    No person shall:
    1. Operate or permit the operation of a motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer owned, leased, or otherwise controlled by him to be operated on a highway unless (i) it is registered, (ii) a certificate of title therefor has been issued, and (iii) it has displayed on it the license plate or plates and decal or decals, if any, assigned to it by the Department for the current registration period, subject to the exemptions mentioned in Article 5 ( 46.2-655 et seq.) and Article 6 ( 46.2-662 et seq.) of this chapter.

I've used it as grounds for a stop, but don't think I've written it. (Another code section - 46.2-712 - actually lets you get 'em for putting the stickers in the wrong place if you REALLY wanna be a jerk!)
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

cajunguy is offline I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    (Another code section - 46.2-712 - actually lets you get 'em for putting the stickers in the wrong place if you REALLY wanna be a jerk!)
    Good grief, if we wrote for that in the State of Looziana, we'd have to order citation books by the trainload.

I'm convinced that most of these coonazzes don't know left side from right side.
    Hmmmm, come to think about it, most of them drive the same way.

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

Thread Information