Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Exterior vest carriers

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    One of our local PDs has started doing it, and theirs is also light blue...well maybe french blue...either way the guys who have say they love it.
    Romans 8:28-31

"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Sheriff, County Board, or any member of my department.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    Second Chance's site says they can do custom colors for the uniform style external carriers so I assume they can match yours.

JG Uniforms offers two light blue colors, and I've heard they do custom colors.

I looked at JG Uniforms website, and their "bright blue" looks astonishingly close to ours...but without having it right in front of me I can't say for certain, which Chief won't accept. He wants to know without a doubt that it'll match.

Maybe JG will send us a sample vest or something.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Dustoff262 is offline Retirement date: December 29, 2019
    Verified LEO
    Keep in mind, the outer carrier shows a perp where you are vulnerable. It also gives a perp a handle to really grab on to. If he gets his arm around your neck from behind, he'll have plenty to secure his hand to as he chokes you out. If you choose to wear it, renew your hand to hand tactics. You dont want the type that has velcro at the shoulders, cause it can open easily and expose you unnecessarily if your are going hand to hand. Its a bit different fighting when you are rolling around with a perp. That being said, they are much more comfortable to wear.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." -- George Orwell

Verified LEO
    Thank goodness for forward thinking supervisors; a couple of months ago we were approved to wear exterior vest carriers provided they look like our duty uniform shirt. Well, for me elbeco won out over JG Uniforms with a price of $86...been wearing it for two weeks now and I love it.

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Sheriff, County Board, or any member of my department.

JeffW is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I am thinking about authorizing them for our officers. They will look like a shirt and in the same color as the trousers. Supposedly the vendor will have them in on the 14th of this month and they will outfit one person to wear test.

I figure anything I can do to get more officers to wear a vest, the better off we all are.

GunmetalGray is offline At the reloading bench...
    Verified LEO
    My academy partner and I are still waiting to receive ours that were ordered in June.

Meanwhile, our groups of 7 and 3 rookies that are fresh out of the academy already have theirs...

Guess I'll add it to my list of stuff to ask my Sergeant about on Thursday...
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    jmur,

We were authorized near the end of last year to wear them. I'll have to double check the vendor (I think it's Elbeco) on mine, but it's dark blue and matches our shirts. I was able to take my whole vest (with carrier) and put it inside this, so it's very easy to remove for plain clothes or bike patrol duty. Minneapolis authorized light blue to match their officers' shirts. I have a buddy with them if you want his contact info to see who they use. The only thing I don't like is the bottom of it is fraying from rubbing on my flashlight on my left side (approximately my 8 o'clock). It's nice to take it off when I'm sitting down at lunch or in the office to type a lengthy report. Even if you guys need to stay with light blue, I'd see if Admin would re-visit this issue. The pros outweigh the cons.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

JohnSmith is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    We are approved to wear these, but I just don't see the benefit. For the guys that love them, why?

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    My traffic unit is getting fitted for them tomorrow. A couple of people have been testing them and love them. The one thing I will like is being able to take it off in the summer when I am directing traffic in the 98 degree heat (and same humidity). Also, the people testing them say that when they get back into their patrol car, it is easy to loosen up for a few minutes to cool off. I like that already.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I've had one for over a year, and I'll never go back to the internal carrier. The comfort level is better, though it takes a little used to having it on the outside.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    We also got ours approved.

Despite lots of bitching from almost every officer when the admin wanted light blue, we got navy blue approved and maybe only a 1/4 of our patrol guys got carriers.

Either way most of my shift purchase them from JG Uniforms.

The only thing I don't like about it is the carrier rides low in the front (despite the back panel fitting perfectly) so the top of my chest is more exposed than my internal carrier. But other than that I'm very happy with it, and will never go back to an internal carrier.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    In hot weather, I flap my external carrier like a fat girl trying to get beads at Mardi Gras!
    ex401mp likes this.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by keith720 View Post
    In hot weather, I flap my external carrier like a fat girl trying to get beads at Mardi Gras!
    Reps!

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSmith View Post
    We are approved to wear these, but I just don't see the benefit. For the guys that love them, why?
    For the reasons I mentioned above. Plus, when it's cold, it's a great handwarmer. Also allows you to rub your nipples a bit throughout the shift. You know......if you're into that sort of thing
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Verified LEO
    Saturday I was assigned to a two car traffic crash. Standing out in the 80+ degree heat around ambulances, you know how it goes, on and on for over an hour, then to the ER to do the DUI part. It felt SOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOD to pop the velcro and let the cool air in while the steam rushed out.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jcsdscott View Post
    Saturday I was assigned to a two car traffic crash. Standing out in the 80+ degree heat around ambulances, you know how it goes, on and on for over an hour, then to the ER to do the DUI part. It felt SOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOD to pop the velcro and let the cool air in while the steam rushed out.
    It's almost like giving yourself a "Dutch oven," only good!

Winston Churchill

ManImBored is offline Ninja In Training
    Verified LEO
    One of my partners got one. He says it is great and it looks good on him. Some of the deputies in our area started wearing them too. The only thing I do not like about the Elbeco vest is the badge part of it. If you take off the vest for any reason, you lose your badge and nametag.
    "Sometimes doing the right thing, is not doing the right thing."

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by ManImBored View Post
    One of my partners got one. He says it is great and it looks good on him. Some of the deputies in our area started wearing them too. The only thing I do not like about the Elbeco vest is the badge part of it. If you take off the vest for any reason, you lose your badge and nametag.
    You could always wear a secondary badge on your duty belt.

abom334 is offline Every Meth Head's nightmare
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by gopherpuckfan View Post
    For the reasons I mentioned above. Plus, when it's cold, it's a great handwarmer. Also allows you to rub your nipples a bit throughout the shift. You know......if you're into that sort of thing
    Oh Goodie! I have been thinking of ways that allow me to rub my own nipples on shift.
    "Fear not the night. Fear that which walks the night. And *I* am that which walks the night. But only evil need fear me …and gentle souls sleep safe in their beds…because I walk the night".- Dave Grossman

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ManImBored View Post
    i still wear my badge and nametag on my shirt. We have an embroidered badge and name on the vest carrier.

As far as providing a "target area", whenever I approach a vehicle, all they see is a target area!

Winston Churchill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information