Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Exterior vest carriers

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Exterior vest carriers

Who here wears exterior vest carriers, and what are your thoughts on them?

We had a rep bring some to us last year and every officer that put one on love them, but because we didn't like the admin's choice for color, they just scrapped the whole idea.

We wear light blue uniforms (ugh) and all of the officers (the people that would actually be wearing the carriers) wanted navy blue to match our pants. And those of us on nights wanted them because they were darker. Admin wanted light blue to match our uniforms shirts.

What do you think about them? Pros? Cons? Which looks better, contrasting colors (lt. blue/navy) or matching colors (blue/blue, brown/brown, etc)?
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I would love to wear one, but we're so old fashioned with the uniform itself, it'd never fly.

In my opinion, if I were wearing your uniform I'd prefer the darker color. Not so much because of contrast, as it would be less likely to look dirty or worn in areas the equipment would be carried. That, and a light blue outer vest carrier would look weird.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    My new department authorizes them and they are very popular. I've ordered mine and I'm waiting for it still. I can't wait to get some of this crap off my belt.

We have dark blue pants, light blue shirts, and the vest is dark blue to match the pants.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    My new department authorizes them and they are very popular. I've ordered mine and I'm waiting for it still. I can't wait to get some of this crap off my belt.

We have dark blue pants, light blue shirts, and the vest is dark blue to match the pants.

Our lt. blue's are very similar. That's exactly what we wanted, but admin balked at it for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Pudge
    That, and a light blue outer vest carrier would look weird.
    I absolutely agree
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

ls1ssws6 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    We have them here in Philly. We wear dark blue pants and light blue shirts. We are allowed to wear black outter carriers and baby blue ones. They are very popular. I personally like tue black ones. I think thry look really nice,havent ordered one yet. They are nice though cause tgey are all custom made and u can put whatever pockets in that you want. Thumbs up from me.

I think im gonna keep the under just cause i think it looks cleane/more professional but they stil ll look nice.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    That has "bad ass" oozing from it.

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Mine is the same dark blue as my uniform shirt and looks like the picture Xiphos posted. A lot of people don't notice it's a vest. I find it to be a lot more comfortable and a lot more convenient. It's no where near as hot, and when it does get hot, I just open the side panel a bit and let some air in. When I'm in the office, it's as easy to put off and on as a jacket. The down side is that because it's not tucked-in anywhere, it tends to "ride-up" in the car.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    I wish we could get those here where I work. Our admin. is so freaking out of touch, they would never allow us to wear them. We tried to get something simple like being allowed to wear long sleeve shirts without ties during dayshift in the winter time, but they would not allow it saying that it does not look professional. Bunch of assfucks....
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

McCrackhd is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    They do allow them here for patrol, but we have to buy our own, unless you came back from a special unit like Jaguars that are issued them. I would love to have one, but I don't have the 500 bucks to buy it.
    YOUR ATTENTION, DO I F@#%ING HAVE IT?

I swear to Christ, if I survive this I'm gonna dance a jig!

RMFT-Bama fans get it

The views and opinions expressed on this site are not mine. They belong to my alter ego, Mathazar. Therefore, only Mathazar and his two brothers should be held responsible for the crap that is posted on this site under my name.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by McCrackhd View Post
    They do allow them here for patrol, but we have to buy our own, unless you came back from a special unit like Jaguars that are issued them. I would love to have one, but I don't have the 500 bucks to buy it.

My external carrier was only $80.00 from Badger Uniforms. It's very well made and heavy duty. My vest panels fit well and stay in place.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I found one at a "local" LE store for $170 that seemed really well made. Just drop the panels from your vest into the carrier and it's ready to go.

But, we still can't wear 'em, so I left it hanging.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    I found one at a "local" LE store for $170 that seemed really well made. Just drop the panels from your vest into the carrier and it's ready to go.

But, we still can't wear 'em, so I left it hanging.
    That's how mine works. Check out the Safariland catalog. They have a few different options for outside carriers there.

Winston Churchill

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Ours are custom designed and built so they run about $200.

McCrackhd is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by keith720 View Post
    My external carrier was only $80.00 from Badger Uniforms. It's very well made and heavy duty. My vest panels fit well and stay in place.
    Sweet! How do they fit it, though? Do you have to go to the local cop supply store and get your measurements for it?
    YOUR ATTENTION, DO I F@#%ING HAVE IT?

I swear to Christ, if I survive this I'm gonna dance a jig!

RMFT-Bama fans get it

The views and opinions expressed on this site are not mine. They belong to my alter ego, Mathazar. Therefore, only Mathazar and his two brothers should be held responsible for the crap that is posted on this site under my name.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by McCrackhd View Post
    Sweet! How do they fit it, though? Do you have to go to the local cop supply store and get your measurements for it?
    Ours just did a tracing of the panels and measured it over the shoulders while I was wearing it. That could probably be traced as well, or the measurement taken by you.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    When they measured me for the vest, thay made the outer carrier to fit.

Winston Churchill

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Well I've been hounding the boss man and he's agreed to revisit the external vest carrier topic.

He has not let up on them being light blue...but honestly I don't even care anymore. I think it will look stupid, but it will be so much more comfortable so I'm gonna roll with it anyway.

He told me he can't find a company that had the exact same color shirt we have (and I doubt he will) but someone told me they "heard" of a company that you send your uniform shirt to them, and they build your vest carrier out of said shirt.

I cannot find such a company online. Anyone ever hear of that?

On Second Chance's website they said their carrier fits of "color matched" shirts....I'm not sure if that is the same thing or not.

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Second Chance's site says they can do custom colors for the uniform style external carriers so I assume they can match yours.

JG Uniforms offers two light blue colors, and I've heard they do custom colors.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information