Welcome to the APBWeb.
    IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2

Police in schools

Around the Metro: Urbandale worker put on leave after snow incident | The Des Moines Register | DesMoinesRegister.com

Plan would replace Ankeny school police officers

Ankeny, Ia. — Employees of a private security firm would monitor Ankeny's secondary-school hallways under a proposal offered to the school board earlier this month.

The district's security personnel budget currently pays half the salary for two Ankeny Police Department members to serve as school resource officers in the middle and high school buildings.

There are also staff members who serve as campus monitors, and money budgeted to hire police officers to work large sporting events such as football games.

Superintendent Matthew Wendt told the board on Feb. 7 that, while district leaders would call on police when needed, a private firm could handle all those security duties while keeping costs within the current budget.

I am baffled at the necessity to have this type of security in our schools. The middle school across the street from my house has a police vehicle there at least twice a week that I see. The only police presence I saw in school was to direct traffic at sport events.

How much time do you spend on "some people's kids"?
    To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    When educators are not allowed to keep order in classrooms this is what you get. Personally, I think it is stupid. Kick problem kids/teachers out of the schools.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

covman454 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I work in the same area as the Ankeny schools described in the article, we are a neighboring district.
    We have two officers assigned to schools in our city, one in the high school and one in the junior high. Our SRO's are busier than our street officers are. Numerous arrests and referrals to juvenile courts when appropriate. I didn't think so until I subbed for them from time to time. If you cram 2000 teens under one roof, there are bound to be problems. Based on what I have seen from our SRO's and what I have seen from that particular security company, they have no business being in the schools.

I agree with kicking the problems out, but the liberal school systems don't think that way. Our SRO's do the DARE thing and do some crime prevention stuff with the kids as well. I don't agree with all the touchy-feely stuff, but the school district pays for the officers.

Covman

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by IMGreat101 View Post
    Around the Metro: Urbandale worker put on leave after snow incident | The Des Moines Register | DesMoinesRegister.com

I am baffled at the necessity to have this type of security in our schools. The middle school across the street from my house has a police vehicle there at least twice a week that I see. The only police presence I saw in school was to direct traffic at sport events.

How much time do you spend on "some people's kids"?
    Our SROs take more paper than road officers. Tons of thefts and assaults
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

berserk is offline The reason they do psych evals
    Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesCopPodz View Post
    Our SROs take more paper than road officers. Tons of thefts and assaults
    +1

I hate it when the SROs in my beat are on a day off, because then I always get stuck handling some bullshit at the school or other. Some of it's petty nonsense that shouldn't really need police attention, but sometimes it's something more serious like a child abuse or a sex assault. If the SROs aren't at the school, then patrol will probably have to be.

IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    One of my store's cashiers witnessed a group of kids (30 or so) surrounding a fight. She noticed they were throwing rocks at one of the kids. She stopped to break it up, some girsl jumped her. She beat the stuffing out of the girls and then the guys stepped in. Police show up but too late to save her from injury. She got her eyes blackened, fat lip, concussion. Three boys were arrested. One of them supposedly has quite the record and is being charged as an adult.

another product of our middle school system
    To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

Thread Information