Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ride a longs

nick122590 is offline Officer First Class

ride a longs

it has been a long time since iv posted here and since then i went on a ride along.

it was great. the field training officer showed me everything inside and out. i felt really comfortable with him and he answered any questions i had. even the dumb ones that alot of the public hear and dont know the facts. he even talked to me about personal things which made me feel pretty good about. i was with him for about 6 hours. 8pm-2am. we had a few accidents a few calls for dui drivers. even busted a group drag racing. in total i saw 5 people get arrested. all for dui. i even had a long talk with the sarg and the rest of the guys on duty in the squad room. they talking to me about everything including how they felt when they 1st started and how it is now. it was one of the greatest experiences in my life that made me feel 100% sure i wanted to get into the field.

so my question is. do you like taking people out there and showing them what you do everyday?

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Depends on where the person that is asking is coming from if you know what I mean. We don't have a ride-a-long program at my agency. If I didn't think the person that is wanting to ride with me is wanting to do it for the right reasons they would not be riding with me for long. Not busting your balls, just saying.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

i hear you on that. im speaking more of people like me who are really looking into becoming a leo and it will help with their final decision

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Give the thread time. I'm going to let other chime in on this one.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I know several officers that don't really like ride a longs. I don't mind them myself. It is a good tool to give people a glimpse of what we deal with everyday. I also think applicants should ride often with the dept they are applying with. This gives the dept a chance to meet the and vice versa.

Now keep in mind if the ride a long isn't doing what I tell him to do he will find his adventure over real quick
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

pac201 is offline Used up and retired
    Verified LEO
    a handbasket...guess where we're going...
    Ride a longs are to be seen and not heard, speak when spoken to etc.

When I worked for the county we had them, we don't here. They have there place and I can see where it is beneficial; like Five-0 said, if they're wanting to ride for the right reasons...
    Job security...

Ecclesiastes 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Our ride along program is geared towards our applicants, they have to complete at least 40 hours, prior to moving forward with the application process. I don't mind them, I don't volunteer for them if you know what I mean............;-)
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    We have a ride along program, but I'm not a big fan of taking them.

I like being alone in my car. I'm also very type "A" and there are multiple items that I like on my passenger seat. With a rider, the whole feng shui of my car get's thrown off.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post

I like being alone in my car. I'm also very type "A" and there are multiple items that I like on my passenger seat. With a rider, the whole feng shui of my car get's thrown off.
    I agree with the get's thrown off, I hate moving my crap to the back seat..........I see a new thread again with pictures of our rolling offices, coming soon..............;-)
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

McCrackhd is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    I personally don't mind ride alongs. As a matter of fact, I met one of my best freinds through a ride along. He was taking CJ and had to do so many ride alongs. His normal ride wasn't available, so he ended up with me. We hit it off and have been good freinds since. Of course that doesn't always happen.

Also, I like letting the general public get an idea of what our job entails. As opposed to what they see on You Tube and the news. Mobile runs a Citizen's Academy and they have to do ride alongs as part of the course. I've had a few of them and they tell me that the whole thing is very eye opening.

Of course, I've gotten some wierdos too. Those suck. But it's ok for the most part.
    YOUR ATTENTION, DO I F@#%ING HAVE IT?

I swear to Christ, if I survive this I'm gonna dance a jig!

RMFT-Bama fans get it

The views and opinions expressed on this site are not mine. They belong to my alter ego, Mathazar. Therefore, only Mathazar and his two brothers should be held responsible for the crap that is posted on this site under my name.

Quote Originally Posted by McCrackhd View Post
    I personally don't mind ride alongs. As a matter of fact, I met one of my best freinds through a ride along. He was taking CJ and had to do so many ride alongs. His normal ride wasn't available, so he ended up with me. We hit it off and have been good freinds since. Of course that doesn't always happen.

Also, I like letting the general public get an idea of what our job entails. As opposed to what they see on You Tube and the news. Mobile runs a Citizen's Academy and they have to do ride alongs as part of the course. I've had a few of them and they tell me that the whole thing is very eye opening.

Of course, I've gotten some wierdos too. Those suck. But it's ok for the most part.
    thanks for the positive post. im not just talking about any joe shmoe that walks in the door. in fact he was the one who asked me if i wanted to do it. ( i ask alot of questions so i think he can tell i was very serious about it.)

berserk is offline The reason they do psych evals
    Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    I sort of see riders as a necessary evil. I do like that the program allows people to glimpse my world, I think there's value in that. It can give an applicant an idea of whether or not they want to do this, or it can promote understanding between the department and other community members. That said, the experience isn't really a pleasant one for me. It's not horrible or anything, it's just that I'd generally rather not have a stranger tagging along with me for half the night. I like that we have a ride along program, though, so I don't bitch when it's my turn to take the rider.

Most of my riders seem to have a pretty good time. It always makes me smile when I realize that they're excited after watching a call that I thought was pretty mundane.

McCrackhd is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    I just remembered this. Several years back, an officer in another pct had a ride along (that he didn't know). Of course, the ride along isn't supposed to get out of the car, especially on hot calls.

They go to a domestic, or something like that, one armed with a gun. The officer, I shit you not, gives his ride along his shotgun and tells him to go around and cover the back. The ride along does as he's told, and almost gets shot by the officers already in the back. Yeah, they're at the back door, and here comes this guy, in plain clothes of course, running around the corner with a friggin shotgun!!

And yes, that officer still works here.
    YOUR ATTENTION, DO I F@#%ING HAVE IT?

I swear to Christ, if I survive this I'm gonna dance a jig!

RMFT-Bama fans get it

The views and opinions expressed on this site are not mine. They belong to my alter ego, Mathazar. Therefore, only Mathazar and his two brothers should be held responsible for the crap that is posted on this site under my name.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post

Haha..I agree with this After being an FTO for more then 3 years...it was very zen to get my front seat back..with all my stuff in its little place. Lovely.

And ride-a-longs are ok although I usually only prefer to have a ride-a-long who is a cop from another agency...easier to "look after" and not worry as much about. I do think, however, it can be important for spouse to ride so they get an idea of what their other half does on a daily basis or for family members. Those who are indecisive about whether being a police officer is what they want to do ride-a-longs are a good way to see. I will take someone but would rather not.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolven View Post
    Haha..I agree with this After being an FTO for more then 3 years...it was very zen to get my front seat back..with all my stuff in its little place. Lovely.

And ride-a-longs are ok although I usually only prefer to have a ride-a-long who is a cop from another agency...easier to "look after" and not worry as much about. I do think, however, it can be important for spouse to ride so they get an idea of what their other half does on a daily basis or for family members. Those who are indecisive about whether being a police officer is what they want to do ride-a-longs are a good way to see. I will take someone but would rather not.
    How often does yours spouse ride with you?
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I do not care for ride along's that are civilians. I have had them in the past and I was paranoid the entire time for their safety. Out of jurisdiction officers are more than welcome. My current agency does not offer a civilian ride along program.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Quote Originally Posted by McCrackhd View Post
    I just remembered this. Several years back, an officer in another pct had a ride along (that he didn't know). Of course, the ride along isn't supposed to get out of the car, especially on hot calls.

They go to a domestic, or something like that, one armed with a gun. The officer, I shit you not, gives his ride along his shotgun and tells him to go around and cover the back. The ride along does as he's told, and almost gets shot by the officers already in the back. Yeah, they're at the back door, and here comes this guy, in plain clothes of course, running around the corner with a friggin shotgun!!

And yes, that officer still works here.
    how does he still have his job after that...?

and i had to sign a few papers. when the sarg handed them to me i asked what they were for. his response "well basicly.. if you die your mom cant sue"

they also made me wear a vest. i think it was also better that i knew him personally and he made it very clear before we left the station what to do in situations and when i can get out of the car

berserk is offline The reason they do psych evals
    Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    They made you wear a vest? Wow. I can't imagine my agency supplying a vest to a rider.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    HahI do think, however, it can be important for spouse to ride so they get an idea of what their other half does on a daily basis or for family members.

Not. A. Chance.

Although in High School I did do a ride a long with my dad as part of a required job shadowing thing.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I do think, however, it can be important for spouse to ride so they get an idea of what their other half does on a daily basis or for family members.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
    Not. A. Chance.

On a different note completely my wife applied for and received a reserve commission with my former agency and was an active rider with me while I was employed there. She was not a civilian ride along but a reserve officer. I do not recommend this at all, nor do I think most agencies would allow it but in our own specific case it was very much an eye opener.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information