Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: bikers

berserk is offline The reason they do psych evals
    Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nick122590 View Post
    theres some people who just cant stand bikes. and theres others who apreciate them.
    There's some people who just can't stand popcorn. There's others who appreciate popcorn. That doesn't mean that everyone is either with popcorn or against it.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by nick122590 View Post
    Here is the issue I have with the complaint.

Those ticketed pointed out to the judge the officer had no meter to gauge the decibel level.
    There is no indication in the article whether this is true or not. I carry a noise decibel meter in my unit at all times. However, I have been accused of not having one as well. This comment is face value at best.

They asked how their bikes could have passed state inspection if they truly are too noisy.
    While at the inspection station I can idle my bike and never surpass the noise level. If I putt putt off the lot I won't surpass the noise level. Once I am on the road with my brand new inspection sticker and gas it I may very well surpass the noise level.
    I am not saying the report does not have merit as I am not there. I will say that the article seems a bit misleading and one sided.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I likes the music law in CA. If you could hear it 50ft away from the car the. It was illegal
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

berserk is offline The reason they do psych evals
    Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    I likes the music law in CA. If you could hear it 50ft away from the car the. It was illegal
    25 feet here.

Bigdaddy1 is offline Officer First Class
    If I may chime in. Not being a LEO and having a bike with some very loud pipes. I live in Milwaukee and my bike is drowned out by some other bikes, most cops will not mess with you unless you are being obnoxious about it. I do believe that loud pipes saves lives and I am living proof. One time while on I-94 a pink hair in a big Lincoln decides my lane was better. I missed my air horn button and hit my lights instead. But I also revved my engine to get out of her way and she heard that. She turned with a startled look and swerved back into her original lane. It was summer and she had her a/c on and windows closed.
    On the flip side the Kenosha County Sheriff made a very public announcement he will be going after all "aftermarket" pipes. The law states altering the exhaust with the intent to make louder is illegal. Hence ALL aftermarket pipes must be illegal. Since that news blurb I and many fellow bikers have refused to go into Kenosha county. Bikers spend money too.

Long story short, don't be an azzhole and you most likely will not be bothered.
    What part of "the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdaddy1 View Post

Long story short, don't be an azzhole and you most likely will not be bothered.
    You sir, just summed up what most of society can't seem to grasp. This applies to much more than bikes.

I do tend to practice this with motorcycles though.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Delon is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I would say it depends, if you are running straight pipes out of a cruiser / chopper, or the 130 DB Ducati Race pipes, you may have an issue. Or if you are keeping the bike in 1st and revving the shit out of your engine in the way that says "Look at me, I have loud pipes" I may talk to you.

I used to ride a Ducati Monster with aftermarket pipes and never had an issue, but then I never revved the engine to high in neighborhoods or low speed zones.

Common Sense = Win in most things.

DeputyDuc is offline On a wheel
    Verified LEO
    I ride as a deputy and as a Ducatisti so I'm not looking to break balls. But when you are (usually on HDs) whacking the throttle along parked cars to see how many alarms you can set off we will have contact, though not necessarily ending w.paper.

JohnSmith is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    You guys are probably much more strict than I am, but in my urban metropolis we (Patrol guys) generally don't do much traffic enforcement, as there's always criminal stuff to be working on. I don't mess with motorcyclists at all, they can damn near do whatever they want traffic code wise. If they go down, it's not likely to hurt anyone else. Speed, stunting, hell even DUI I don't really care. I'm a motorcyclist myself, and I know the risks. There's not a ticket you can ride that will stop me from riding the way I ride (Notice the lack of incriminating statements there... hehe)

As for the loud pipes, same story. They'd have to be straight out obnoxious to even get a second look.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Motorcycles never hurt anyone else when they go down, eh? I can't post actual photos by policy, but here is a quickie from Google.

I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

DeputyDuc is offline On a wheel
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    Motorcycles never hurt anyone else when they go down, eh? I can't post actual photos by policy, but here is a quickie from Google.
    There are a few very similar pictures floating around showing the same result of a speeding bike v car; it happens more than one might think. Seems while on my motor lately I can't avoid bikes that need contact - a threesome doing 120mph on a parkway, and an OMGer on Sat doing 100+ weaving through moderate interstate traffic. Guess he didn't value his CDL.

Verified LEO
    I know it happens, but for every one of those that we've handled (I've never seen one), I bet we've handled over 1000 fatal motorcycle riders/no other people injured. I'd go so far as to say 90% of the motorcycle accidents I handle are from "Yield to turn" intersections, car turns in front of oncoming bike, bike goes down or hits car (But not like that). Hell, I could argue 90% of all crashes occur at these. Although I hated waiting at the red lights in San Diego, never being able to turn, I bet it cut down on accidents significantly.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    My only point was that there is always an excuse for behavior behind the wheel (or bars.)

Yours holds no more water than any other I've heard, and I'm *not* a traffic guy.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Verified LEO
    And you're right about that, I guess it is an excuse. No problems with the Officers who do enforce laws against motorcyclists, that's the great thing about this job, you can write your noise tickets to the guy who put a set of pipes on his bike, and I'll write the lady who drives with her high beams on so she can see better (My pet-peeve by the way). We all can do our thing, and it all works toward the same goal, however un-obtainable it is. As long as we stay safe, cover each other, and enjoy it.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Alrighty, here goes...

I ride a Harley bagger with a race tuner and Rush pipes. They are louder than stock, but not obnoxious (in my opinion, but lew can tell you better since he hears them more than I do when riding). When I first tuned my bike up, I was concerned that if I were coming into my (verrrry quiet) neighborhood, especially late at night, I might catch a complaint, so I just about idle down my street. Thus far, no complaints, -0-.

On the job, I have (and probably will again) cite for exhaust modifications. Each time I have in the past it has been because some schmuck has stomped (or twisted) his throttle into the fuel pump and created such a hell of a noise that it was (in my judgement) disturbing or alarming to the reasonable person.

Reasonable is the operative term to me... if you make an effort to be obnoxious, you get my attention and perhaps a reminder of it. If you are just tooling around with no ill intent, you get left alone.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    so I just about idle down my street. Thus far, no complaints, -0-.

Amazing. So you mean 1 part commonsense combined with one part common courtesy is a recipe for -0- complaints? Incredible!
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Amazing. So you mean 1 part commonsense combined with one part common courtesy is a recipe for -0- complaints? Incredible!
    Yessir... that's how I roll.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Bigdaddy1 is offline Officer First Class
    Out of habit I will let off the throttle and pull the clutch if I am riding past a cop taking pictures. The only problem is I usually have to throttle up shortly after passing and that they might be able to hear. I did have one local tail me through a few small towns last summer, I suppose trying to see if I would romp the throttle. After a while he turned off anyway, but I didn't like him riding my azz like that. Most bikers don't like people riding so close that they can reach back and touch their hood.
    What part of "the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

nick122590 is offline Officer First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    Alrighty, here goes...

I ride a Harley bagger with a race tuner and Rush pipes. They are louder than stock, but not obnoxious (in my opinion, but lew can tell you better since he hears them more than I do when riding). When I first tuned my bike up, I was concerned that if I were coming into my (verrrry quiet) neighborhood, especially late at night, I might catch a complaint, so I just about idle down my street. Thus far, no complaints, -0-.

On the job, I have (and probably will again) cite for exhaust modifications. Each time I have in the past it has been because some schmuck has stomped (or twisted) his throttle into the fuel pump and created such a hell of a noise that it was (in my judgement) disturbing or alarming to the reasonable person.

Reasonable is the operative term to me... if you make an effort to be obnoxious, you get my attention and perhaps a reminder of it. If you are just tooling around with no ill intent, you get left alone.
    ya. i live in a apartment complex so when i come home i usually will shut it off once i enter the lot. ( figured out exactly how to do it so i come to a stop right where i park it) and when i leave early mornings 4-5am i usually roll it out on the street and start it up. my bikes redline is at 9k rpm, only time i will usually go pass 5-6k is when im on a open road away from the city where speed limit is 45 or higher. my pipes arent loud at all. but there louder then stock. and thats where it gets me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information