Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: bikers

nick122590 is offline Officer First Class

bikers

i know im posting alot but its been a while since iv been here.

i was wondering how strict you guys are with bikes. more spacificly loud pipes.
    i think the quote "loud pipes save lives" is true. and i know a lot of LEOS who dont harass bikers for things like this but alot do. whats your take on this?

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    all depends what the vehicle code says. That said why would you consider it harrassment? Is there something wrong with an officer contacting someone who is just reving their motor at midnight in front of residences? That would fit the bill for disturbing the piece.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by nick122590 View Post
    i think the quote "loud pipes save lives" is true.
    They may, but it's still a stupid argument. Statistically speaking, helmets and leather gear save lives. Nothing says loud pipes do except bikers themselves. I'd say roughly 75% of the biker's I've encountered with loud pipes aren't wearing helmets. If they're that concerned about their safety, they'd wear a brain bucket. That said, we also don't have a helmet law in MN.

Quote Originally Posted by nick122590
    and i know a lot of LEOS who dont harass bikers for things like this but alot do. whats your take on this?
    My take on it is that if you're state's vehicle code say's loud exhaust is illegal, it's not harassment and it's the police doing their job. If "a lot" of LEO's address this issue, then I'd say "a lot" of them are doing their jobs.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

McCrackhd is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    I HATE loud pipes. I can understand pipes being a little loud, but not earspliltting like most of them are. But there's no law in Bama against them.
    YOUR ATTENTION, DO I F@#%ING HAVE IT?

I swear to Christ, if I survive this I'm gonna dance a jig!

RMFT-Bama fans get it

The views and opinions expressed on this site are not mine. They belong to my alter ego, Mathazar. Therefore, only Mathazar and his two brothers should be held responsible for the crap that is posted on this site under my name.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Loud pipes don't save lives, they piss off cagers and make it more likely legislators will take out their frustrations on us.

If people don't hear my siren, how the hell do you figure they're going to hear your pipes?
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    If people don't hear my siren, how the hell do you figure they're going to hear your pipes?

^ Bingo.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Also to the OP - if you'd like to have your birth date removed from your username, PM a Super Moderator.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

ya i wasnt talking about a drag piped harley. just something a little louder that you can acually hear over stock. and i was more leaning on departments who seem to go after bikes and write them every ticket possible. it just seems like your either against bikers, or you with them. just wanted to see what everyone else thought. do any of you ride?

Also to the OP - if you'd like to have your birth date removed from your username, PM a Super Moderator.
    why would i? no need to hide it. its pretty easy to find out peoples birth dates

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    ya i wasnt talking about a drag piped harley. just something a little louder that you can acually hear over stock. and i was more leaning on departments who seem to go after bikes and write them every ticket possible. it just seems like your either against bikers, or you with them. just wanted to see what everyone else thought. do any of you ride?
    A lot of us ride.

Don't act like a squid and keep your bike legal, and you'll never have a problem.

I ride a bright red sport bike, and never seem to have any trouble.
    I'm your huckleberry...

berserk is offline The reason they do psych evals
    Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    it just seems like your either against bikers, or you with them.
    I'm rolling my eyes at that part. I'm neither with bikers nor against them, and can't imagine what would be gained in either position.

A lot of us ride.

Don't act like a squid and keep your bike legal, and you'll never have a problem.

I ride a bright red sport bike, and never seem to have any trouble.
    my old bike had new mufflers. not loud at all but louder then stock. it wasnt a sport bike. or a chopped up harley. it was a stock cruiser. only times i have ever been pulled over where for exhaust modifications. 2 towns over they sit outside a harley dealership and pull guys over just for loud bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by berserk View Post
    I'm rolling my eyes at that part. I'm neither with bikers nor against them, and can't imagine what would be gained in either position.
    theres some people who just cant stand bikes. and theres others who apreciate them.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Well, if you get a ticket for a stock bike seems like you'd have a good defense.

I doubt they sit out there just looking for loud bikes. Seems to me there might be another issue that keeps them sitting there.

Of course, I could be wrong, and you might live somewhere different.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Well, if you get a ticket for a stock bike seems like you'd have a good defense.

I doubt they sit out there just looking for loud bikes. Seems to me there might be another issue that keeps them sitting there.

Of course, I could be wrong, and you might live somewhere different.
    money hungry. i have talked to 3 officers on the department who are against it. they said the only time they will write them up for loud pipes is if they are insanely loud or if the were pulled over for a different reason.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I own a bike that I purchased used with after market exhaust. They are loud for an 1100. I make an extra effort to not spank the throttle until I'm away from neighborhoods. I have nothing against loud anything, including the dreaded rap crap, unless it is done with no regard or respect of others. No respect for others means I break out my noise meter.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    I own a bike that I purchased used with after market exhaust. They are loud for an 1100. I make an extra effort to not spank the throttle until I'm away from neighborhoods. I have nothing against loud anything, including the dreaded rap crap, unless it is done with no regard or respect of others. No respect for others means I break out my noise meter.
    ya everytown west of me seems to pull you over for it car or bike. alot of them dont have meters on them. so if they decide to bring it to court all the person as to do is bring in something that says its 50 state legal and it gets thrown out.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    ya everytown west of me seems to pull you over for it car or bike. alot of them dont have meters on them. so if they decide to bring it to court all the person as to do is bring in something that says its 50 state legal and it gets thrown out.
    I can see that applying only if no meter is present. If the officer uses a meter and it is still dismissed that actually may have more to do with the interpretation of the judge. You see some judges believe they can judge by interpretation instead of what the law actually says. I do see what you are saying but if the person who has a "legal" exhaust uses that instrument to violate a certain decibel level the law should still hold. I think the law would certainly hold if the violation took place outside the judges home for more than, let's say, 2 seconds. My example amounts to a person with a "stock" stereo system still surpassing the legal decibel level.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    ok, I just looked into the vehicle noise laws in what I believe is your state.

There is no reference to the "decibel level" that separates illegal and legal. MN is the same way. I don't have a decibel level meter because I don't need one.

I can only assume your not familiar with your states vehicle noise law, so here it is for reference:
    Every motor vehicle driven or operated upon the highways of this State shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler or exhaust system in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise. No such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device. No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and such original muffler shall comply with all the requirements of this Section.

And now let's break it down:
    Every motor vehicle (this includes motorcycles) driven or operated upon the highways of this State shall at all times (this means ALWAYS) be equipped with an adequate muffler or exhaust system in constant operation and properly maintained (this means holes, or areas where it's rusted through are illegal) to prevent any excessive or unusual noise.(well here is the definition of excessive - going beyond the usual, necessary, or proper limit or degree. I would say any bike that has an exhaust the snaps, crackles, pops, roars, echos through a neighborhood, or does not blend the sound of the motor in with the overall environment, it would be excessive and unusual.) No such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device. (pretty self explanatory) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, (don't modify it to make it louder basically) and such original muffler shall comply with all the requirements of this Section.

So to summarize:
    It's illegal to have an exhaust system that is not properly maintained (ex: holes)
    It's illegal to have an exhaust system that has excessive or unusual noise
    It's illegal to have an exhaust system that has a cutout, bypass, or similar device
    It is illegal to have an exhaust system that has been modified to make it louder

There are four different parts of the statute that a person can be cited for. Even if I have an exhaust that isn't excessively or unusually loud, and is completely stock, I can still be cited under this statute if my exhaust system has holes all over it. Even if I have a stock exhaust system but the baffles have been removed, I can be cited for excessive or unusual noise, OR for modifying the exhaust system in a manner that will increase the noise.

It's pretty clear to me that you're looking for some way to excuse having a loud bike, or riding a loud bike. I don't think you're going to find it here. Many of our members here ride motorcycles, maybe some of them have an excessively loud exhaust. It doesn't make it right and I would imagine if they were cited for it, they'd recognize the fact that they were wrong and pay the fine.

And finally, your article referencing the Houston cop who is hammering bikers for loud exhaust, the article itself said that the majority of the people who contested his noise citations were found guilty. Clearly he's not writing bad tickets (although I do agree 39 court trials is INSANE). There is also a IA investgiation looking into the number of tickets he's written. That doesn't mean anything until the investigation has found him guilty of some sort of misconduct or policy violation. I've always been told that if I'm not generating complaints, I'm not doing my job. People don't tend to like us when we do our job. If he's doing something "wrong" by writing noise violation tickets near a Harley shop, it must be wrong to sit down the street from the bar to try and catch drunks driving home? How about sitting parking near a stop sign to watch for people who run the stop sign? Is that wrong? All that article is really reporting on is a bunch of whiny bikers in the Houston area, and a cop that is doing SUCH a good job, that it's caught the attention of the local media.

With ALL of this said, I don't even stop bikers for having loud exhaust, let alone write them tickets. And my city has a Harley shop in it, and we're the host of two major motorcycle tours each year (kinda like a couple very mini Sturgis'...normally a couple thousand bikes come through).
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information