Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    You think you have problems, I am a Handi-capped Gay Black woman trapped in the body of a hetrosexual white male. Seriously, though, I don't give a rat's rump over what sex an officer is, or who a person sleeps with as long as they do their job, and I think the majority would concur. To say that sexual harassment doesn't exist would be foolish, but I don't see it as the norm.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Traffic Goddess is offline soon to be "Law Goddess"
    South-Central PA or somehere on the Chesapeake Bay aboard our boat!
    I honestly believe there are more cases of discrimination than there are harassment.
    Remembering Officer Richard Phelps, Lemoyne (PA) PD, EOW- 7/11/89

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I honestly think there are a lot of cases where discrimination is perceived but never intended.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    I honestly think there are a lot of cases where discrimination is perceived but never intended.
    +1
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

I agree with what you are saying. It isn't something that I jumped into without careful thought and a great deal of evidence. But, yes, there are times when it isn't intended.

berserk is offline The reason they do psych evals
    Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    I agree, but some of those are still legitimate discrimination cases.

I think that the awful thing about discrimination is that it can be so subtle and continue to build over time. I've compared it to the frog in a pot that is gradually heated to boiling and doesn't escape. It can be insidious and many times can only be seen once a pattern of conduct is revealed. Unfortunately, I think that there is much more education about sexual harassment than there is about discrimination, particularly in LE. This is actually part of a research study that I am doing for a class at PSU. Some of the initial results have been interesting. My study is concentrated on PA police departments, only. Just about all of the prior studies have been about national trends.

mfranklin01 is offline its not vendication...its punishment
    I think I was bothered more by someones lack of being able to admit they were gay then the fact that they were gay at all. A persons sexualilty has never bothered me as long as they come when I call on the radio I don't care what color flag they fly...or how many colors are in it. I guess me not being gay it is easier for me to say just be who you are and don't pretend to be something your not. I have worked with three people that it was common knowledge that they were gay and it made people more uncomfortable to be around them because they were overdoing the trying not to be gay. just my 2 cents
    "Be Polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet"

KatieMH is offline oldie, but goodie
    I worked in law enforcement for 6 years with 3 different departments: state, county, and local (two at the same time - I wasn't a department jumper. Ha!). I think I had a total of two people call me a lesbian and both times it was because they were pissed I just kicked their ass. I definitely don't come across as a needy female, but I also don't come across as a tough, macho one either. I'm very straightforward, what you see is what you get and most peoples initial assumption of me is that I'm observant, fair, assertive, don't take bullshit from anyone and definitely like to go home to get my groove on with a sexy man. It can be difficult working in a man's world, but knowing how to read people and treat people can make all the difference in the world.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Well, here's the 2 cents, (which for me usually lasts a buck and a quarter).

Lady cops have it rough. You show me one that can hack a law enforcement career for any length of time, and I'll show you one who I admire more than the average Jane.

The lady cop, (be she straight or otherwise), has to be both a lady and a cop, which in and of itself is a feat of miraculous proportions. In a male dominated career, she has to toe the line against the same assbags that her usually larger, stronger male counterparts have to, and every day, she has to prove her worth without giving quarter and getting taken for granted, and without being patronized by both civilians and her fellow cops alike. Its like competing with a handicap; like running a race with a weightbelt and a bungee cord around the waist. Legitimately, she has to work harder, stand firmer, and exhibit a level of emotional control which often even forces her to defy a common natural compulsion to nurture. She has to be "it" on the street. Her male counterparts sometimes misunderstand her irritation when they come in like gangbusters to back her up on every parking ticket she writes, and she has to give them a demure grin and shake her head quietly instead of asking them why they don't do that with one another instead of just her. She has to take a lot in stride, but hold a lot inside, and to be honest, that is contrary to human nature for all of us in this profession, both male and female.

then...

When she is off the job, she still has to be a lady... and that's a task in and of itself. On the street she's surronded by the seven unholies (think George Carlin's famous list of words you can't say on network TV), and if she drops a string of F-bombs in street clothes, she gets jaws dropping around her like a summer rain. If she's married, she has to gracefully allow her mates ego to remain unbruised when honestly she is perfectly capable of most of the traditional male roles in the family. Truth is, she wants to feel like a lady at home, she cherishes the ability to actually be vulnerable and deeply emotional, but hell, how many guys can really take the anxiety of knowing that his wife straps on a gun and goes looking for trouble at night, when in his (read into this -- traditional) family, it is held that the MAN is the MAN... Its an emotional tightwire act that would make the flying Walendas gasp.

Perhaps lady cops really sometimes think its easier to be thought of as homosexual, than to be resented as a female challenging the stereotypical male roles in society. Either way, I salute the lady cops. I can't honestly tell you how deeply I respect each and every one of them. Statistically, they suffer even worse than us egobags do, emotionally, physically, and especially in their personal relationships. Now I don't give much a hoot for a dainty, squeaky-voiced lady cop whose afraid to get her hands dirty. They are about as useful as a Tokyo microwave, but those kinds don't usually make it long on the street anyway before they roll out or are transferred to administrative duties, but the lady streetcop? That's a divine creature indeed.

/rant off

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post

Lady cops have it rough. You show me one that can hack a law enforcement career for any length of time, and I'll show you one who I admire more than the average Jane.

The lady cop, (be she straight or otherwise), has to be both a lady and a cop, which in and of itself is a feat of miraculous proportions. In a male dominated career, she has to toe the line against the same assbags that her usually larger, stronger male counterparts have to, and every day, she has to prove her worth without giving quarter and getting taken for granted, and without being patronized by both civilians and her fellow cops alike. Its like competing with a handicap; like running a race with a weightbelt and a bungee cord around the waist. Legitimately, she has to work harder, stand firmer, and exhibit a level of emotional control which often even forces her to defy a common natural compulsion to nurture. She has to be "it" on the street. Her male counterparts sometimes misunderstand her irritation when they come in like gangbusters to back her up on every parking ticket she writes, and she has to give them a demure grin and shake her head quietly instead of asking them why they don't do that with one another instead of just her. She has to take a lot in stride, but hold a lot inside, and to be honest, that is contrary to human nature for all of us in this profession, both male and female.

then...

When she is off the job, she still has to be a lady... and that's a task in and of itself. On the street she's surronded by the seven unholies (think George Carlin's famous list of words you can't say on network TV), and if she drops a string of F-bombs in street clothes, she gets jaws dropping around her like a summer rain. If she's married, she has to gracefully allow her mates ego to remain unbruised when honestly she is perfectly capable of most of the traditional male roles in the family. Truth is, she wants to feel like a lady at home, she cherishes the ability to actually be vulnerable and deeply emotional, but hell, how many guys can really take the anxiety of knowing that his wife straps on a gun and goes looking for trouble at night, when in his (read into this -- traditional) family, it is held that the MAN is the MAN... Its an emotional tightwire act that would make the flying Walendas gasp.

Perhaps lady cops really sometimes think its easier to be thought of as homosexual, than to be resented as a female challenging the stereotypical male roles in society. Either way, I salute the lady cops. I can't honestly tell you how deeply I respect each and every one of them. Statistically, they suffer even worse than us egobags do, emotionally, physically, and especially in their personal relationships. Now I don't give much a hoot for a dainty, squeaky-voiced lady cop whose afraid to get her hands dirty, honestly, that's about as useful as a Tokyo microwave, but those kinds don't usually make it long on the street anyway, before they roll out or are transferred to administrative duties, but the lady streetcop? That's a divine creature indeed.

/rant off
    QF F'ing T
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

countybear-

You are officially my hero....that was an awesome post!

mfranklin01 is offline its not vendication...its punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post

then...

Perhaps lady cops really sometimes think its easier to be thought of as homosexual, than to be resented as a female challenging the stereotypical male roles in society. Either way, I salute the lady cops. I can't honestly tell you how deeply I respect each and every one of them. Statistically, they suffer even worse than us egobags do, emotionally, physically, and especially in their personal relationships. Now I don't give much a hoot for a dainty, squeaky-voiced lady cop whose afraid to get her hands dirty. They are about as useful as a Tokyo microwave, but those kinds don't usually make it long on the street anyway before they roll out or are transferred to administrative duties, but the lady streetcop? That's a divine creature indeed.

/rant off
    well said
    "Be Polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information