Welcome to the APBWeb.
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    bigguns911 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    03-27-11
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0

    Tac light training and info

    Hi all, I am currently researching training and policy for my department on the use of tac lights for handguns. I have been asked to make up a training synopsis for training anyone that wants to carry tac lights.

    My question and request is this, do any of you have good training info and policy in writing that can be shard with me. I am looking for things that would help me set up my training and policy that are specific to tac light use and not just flash light use.

    Things like:
    use of trigger finger or thumb to activate light
    Light attached at all times to gun
    search methods: IE flash light and tac light or just tac light
    restrictions on when to use light
    requirements on light out put, brand, switches and such
    And just over all training help.

    Thanks in advance, Bigguns911

  2. #2
    Xiphos's Avatar
    Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    03-09-08
    Location
    Thermopylae
    Posts
    8,337
    Rep Power
    7688650
    I've not used a tac light. It seems to me though that any policy allowing them has to require another primary flashlight be available. There will be someone using their gun/light as a light directing traffic or something else similarly boneheaded.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

    That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

    If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

    I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

    Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

  3. #3
    Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    04-16-06
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    4,077
    Rep Power
    6429416
    You'll want strict policies on using the gun as a flashlight other than appropriate situations to have the gun out... Unfortunately, some moron WILL use the gunlight to write a ticket or the like.

    I'm not a fan of the "put it on the gun when you need it" approaches; the simple fact is you can't holster up when you need to without taking the light off. Not a good approach in a heated situation. Leave the light on the gun, and get holsters to fit 'em that way.

    And, yeah, you need an additional flashlight. Hell, you need at least two!
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

    TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

    "Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

    All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

  4. #4
    MacLean's Avatar
    MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    09-05-07
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    11,770
    Rep Power
    4546390
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguns911 View Post
    Hi all, I am currently researching training and policy for my department on the use of tac lights for handguns. I have been asked to make up a training synopsis for training anyone that wants to carry tac lights.

    My question and request is this, do any of you have good training info and policy in writing that can be shard with me. I am looking for things that would help me set up my training and policy that are specific to tac light use and not just flash light use.

    Things like:
    use of trigger finger or thumb to activate light
    Light attached at all times to gun
    search methods: IE flash light and tac light or just tac light
    restrictions on when to use light
    requirements on light out put, brand, switches and such
    And just over all training help.

    Thanks in advance, Bigguns911

    If you are in Washington, and after your verification is done, I'll send you what I got.
    I'm your huckleberry...

    Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

    You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.


    I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...



  5. #5
    bigguns911 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    03-27-11
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    If you are in Washington, and after your verification is done, I'll send you what I got.
    That sounds great, thank

  6. #6
    bigguns911 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    03-27-11
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0
    Aw come on you people, you are telling me there is only one of you that has any good training info for tac lights. I have no problem standing by until my LEO verification is done but I need more help then one person. We all have great ideas and i can use all of them I can find. Thanks Much!!!

  7. #7
    pgg's Avatar
    pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    06-16-08
    Location
    Fled the Emerald Triangle
    Posts
    10,945
    Rep Power
    3911013
    Just saw this. I carry one on my gun. I'll PM you once the verification is done also.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

  8. #8
    HudsonHawk's Avatar
    HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Join Date
    01-17-06
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,510
    Rep Power
    1710425
    bigguns, I think you'll find that LEOs may be hesitant to post training/policy information on the public side of the forum. After your verification is complete, I'm sure you'll find more open discussion in the verified section.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

  9. #9
    bigguns911 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    03-27-11
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0
    Great to know, I'm almost done with the verification. Thanks all for the help!!!


    Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    bigguns, I think you'll find that LEOs may be hesitant to post training/policy information on the public side of the forum. After your verification is complete, I'm sure you'll find more open discussion in the verified section.

  10. #10
    bigguns911 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    03-27-11
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0
    Got verified last night so any help on this issued would be great. Thanks Bigguns911

    Quote Originally Posted by bigguns911 View Post
    Great to know, I'm almost done with the verification. Thanks all for the help!!!

  11. #11
    MacLean's Avatar
    MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    09-05-07
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    11,770
    Rep Power
    4546390
    I'll get you what I got when I get back to work, welcome to the verified side.
    I'm your huckleberry...

    Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

    You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.


    I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...



 

 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •