Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Do you support Open Carry in CA?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO!... I think it's a terrible idea.

16 53.33%
  • YES!.. I think it's your right to do so if you choose.

14 46.67%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    berserk is offline The reason they do psych evals
    Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    Off duty, there aren't many circumstances where I would want to carry openly. If the majority of people went about armed, then I would revise that opinion.

That said, I support your right to do so.

The unloaded requirement is disturbingly stupid.

JSO85360 is offline Coming soon through a door near you!
    Verified LEO
    I guess I'm the odd guy out. I would not support open carry regardless. If you have a CWP, then by all means carry your weapon, but keep it concealed. Regardless of the state you are in, in my opinion, only LE should be allowed to have their weapon in plain view, and only if in uniform or with your badge on your belt. The laws have too many loopholes that allow bad people to obtain firearms and permits. I personally do not want to walk around like I'm in the wild west. As uniformed officers, we are walking targets. Everyone knows who we are, but we don't know who the bad guys are. When I approach someone, be it during a traffic stop, or any other call for service, the first thing I do is ask the subject if they have any weapons on them that could hurt me. If they say no, and a pat down is in order, I'd better not find anything or you're going to the ground hard. If you answer yes, then I'll ask you to keep your hands in sight, and very slowly with two fingers on one hand produce your DL and CWP. I do not want you to touch the weapon, show me the weapon, or become in any position to use the weapon on myself, or anyone else. If you are legal, and my business with you is over, you are free to go, with your concealed weapon still concealed, and you are free to defend yourself if the threat becomes real. I do agree that it's just plain stupid to walk around with an empty weapon. That to me is trouble waiting to happen. I'm sure there plenty of other officers and non-LE's that disagree, as stated in the previous posts, but this is just my personal opinion.
    The six o'clock rule
    I tell them to act according to the six o'clock rule, a phrase that causes most of them to say, "Huh?"
    I tell them to use this little test before they decide to do something. If they were to do what they're thinking about, and it became the lead story on the six o'clock news, would they be proud? Would their department be proud, and would their family be proud? It's a simple way to live your life both personally and professionally.

Bruce Thomason

"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    So far you can still leave California. When the State confiscates all the brick, mortar, barbed wire, and sends the Job Corps to the state lines, you should really consider moving to ahhh....Arizona. We are full up here right now.

Open carry brings ordinary people into contact with some cops who are not too informed about good people owning firearms. The contact is often initiated by the stupid who understand nothing but what they saw on TV and call 911 about "a man with a gun."
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I assume everyone is armed. I always will be, and I don't think I'm entitled to any special consideration.

I find open carry to be dubious tactically, but again - it's your right to do it.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

serpico155 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO

RETIRED

THANK GOD FOR HR.218...BY THE WAY ARE U AWARE FOP IS COMING OUT WITH STATE ISSUED LIC.PLATES

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I don't want a license plate that advertises I'm a cop. Just paint a bulls eye on my car, my family, and my back.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by serpico155 View Post
    THANK GOD FOR HR.218...BY THE WAY ARE U AWARE FOP IS COMING OUT WITH STATE ISSUED LIC.PLATES

We've had those in AL for years. To echo what Xiphos said, no thanks.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Proud to advertise.....

Teacher
    Fireman
    Veteran
    First Responder
    Representative
    etc...

Scared to advertise.....

Cop
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Proud to advertise.....

Teacher
    Fireman
    Veteran
    First Responder
    Representative
    etc...

Scared to advertise.....

Cop
    Cops are the only ones facing random targeting for murder simply because of their profession. Maybe if society took our safety and security more seriously it wouldn't be an issue.

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

WS6 Rampage is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    WS6 where ya at?
    San Fernando Valley, CA

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    Cops are the only ones facing random targeting for murder simply because of their profession. Maybe if society took our safety and security more seriously it wouldn't be an issue.
    Yep.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Verified LEO
    HEN U GET MY AGE AND RETIRED ..IM NOT WORRIED ABOU THE LIC. PATES ..THERE ONLY GONNA BE ON ONE CAR ..A MERCEDES SLK 230 ROADSTER CONV. AS IT IS NOW IM BEING FOLLOWED BY EVERY YOUNG NEWBE OFFICER TO SEE IF IM SPEEDING WHICH IM NOT ...

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    My retirement plan is to be armed and not tell anyone.

When I get thrown to the ground by the in-service generation for being armed while not committing any other crime, I plan to hire excellent lawyers to supplement my retirement income.

I predict huge financial success.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    My retirement plan is to be armed and not tell anyone.

When I get thrown to the ground by the in-service generation for being armed while not committing any other crime, I plan to hire excellent lawyers to supplement my retirement income.

I predict huge financial success.
    Hopefully for the 2nd Amendment, by the time you are eligible to retire this nonsense will be fixed and cops won't react that way.

Otherwise, good plan.

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    My retirement plan is to sit on my porch with a shotgun and yell "get off my lawn"
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Verified LEO
    AS A O'LE SARGENT ONCE TO ME YEARS AGO ..CHARLEY SLOW DOWN "YOUR ONE WRONG DECISON AWAY FROM LOOSING ...YOUR HOUSE ..YOUR JOB ...OR YOUR LIFE"

WS6 Rampage is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    My retirement plan is to sit on my porch with a shotgun and yell "get off my lawn"
    LMFAO!!!!

Bigdaddy1 is offline Officer First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    How would society take your safety and security more seriously? What should we (law abiding civilians) do to aid you in your protection? Keep in mind this is not a snide comment, but a real question. Society views you (police) as the protectors, not those in need of protection
    What part of "the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdaddy1 View Post
    How would society take your safety and security more seriously? What should we (law abiding civilians) do to aid you in your protection? Keep in mind this is not a snide comment, but a real question. Society views you (police) as the protectors, not those in need of protection

In my state's case, when the public is sitting on a Grand Jury handing down indictments. They can demand that the DA pursue the highest charges possible and set the highest bonds possible when the cases involve murders and assualts on officers. They can do the same in cases involving fleeing from the police and filing false BS charges against officers.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    In my state's case, when the public is sitting on a Grand Jury handing down indictments. They can demand that the DA pursue the highest charges possible and set the highest bonds possible when the cases involve murders and assualts on officers. They can do the same in cases involving fleeing from the police and filing false BS charges against officers.
    This. So many of our slain officers are killed by people who have murdered before, or assaulted cops before.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information