Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Do you support Open Carry in CA?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO!... I think it's a terrible idea.

16 53.33%
  • YES!.. I think it's your right to do so if you choose.

14 46.67%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    WS6 Rampage is offline Rookie

Question Open Carry in CA.... Thoughts?

Hi, I'm a proud member of the NRA and I am also an advocate of Open Carry. ... Out of sheer curiosity, I'd like to know what our police officers feel about OC in CA. ....

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    As a former officer in CA I'll chimei in on this. The county I worked in was pro CCW. The Sheriff treated it as a shall issue county. Because of this I always encouraged people to get their CCW. The problem with open carry in CA is that your weapon is required to be unloaded. Officers are able to check and verify this. There has been an incident recently in CA where a gangbanger pulled a gun on an open carrier and took his unloaded gun from him. Seems kind of pointless to have an unloaded gun The papers have made it known that open carriers have to be unloaded so the deterent is gone. Add on top of that the restrictions on where you can go (school zones) I would much rather see the state go to a shall issue state.

That said, if law abiding citizens were allowed to carry LOADED guns I would support that.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

pac201 is offline Used up and retired
    Verified LEO
    a handbasket...guess where we're going...
    I'm not in Ca. so I guess your question doesn't really apply to me, but I'll dump my .02 in anyway.

I ccw myself, but I don't get my drawers all knotted up when I see an oc'er. I will agree with pgg on this one.
    Job security...

Ecclesiastes 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

Pinki is offline Sergeant
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I'm not in law enforcement but as a former Californian, I think that the residents will have to say enough is enough and start pushing to reverse those troubling gun laws (instead of just trying to adapt to the laws as they exist). My entire family is in California but I won't move back to a place where I am not permitted to legally defend my own life.
    Arm the sheep!

Sam
    Sam is offline I do not like green eggs and ham.
    I'm not a cop but I not a rocket scientist either. What kind of idiot would carry an unloaded gun? If you have to carry the gun unloaded to me the only reason to have one carried open is to show people that you are billy bad ass. You would be better off carrying a samurai sword at least you could defend yourself with that~

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    This has been done before.

You'll find most LEO's are pro-carry.

You'll also find most of us wondering why you would carry in the open - loaded or not - but that most of us would support your right to do so.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I have no problem with open carry minus the tactical issues. I voted no here only because of the unloaded requirement in CA. That is stupid to the tenth power right there. My state is an open carry state with no such retarded restrictions.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    I'm for any type of carry for defense. CCW is best IMO, but if open carry is the only thing allowed, then that's what one should do.

However, in your CA case, absolutely not. Open carry of an unloaded gun is absolutely not something that should be done, period. Smart bad guys would make that their first target, and there isn't much you can do about it with an unloaded gun.

Edit to add: Voted no in thie particular case due to the fact the gun has to be unloaded.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    I have no problem with open carry minus the tactical issues. I voted no here only because of the unloaded requirement in CA. That is stupid to the tenth power right there. My state is an open carry state with no such retarded restrictions.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesCopPodz View Post
    I'm for any type of carry for defense. CCW is best IMO, but if open carry is the only thing allowed, then that's what one should do.

However, in your CA case, absolutely not. Open carry of an unloaded gun is absolutely not something that should be done, period. Smart bad guys would make that their first target, and there isn't much you can do about it with an unloaded gun.

Edit to add: Voted no in thie particular case due to the fact the gun has to be unloaded.

What they said.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesCopPodz View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    What they said.

+1

Also voted no.

I've said before. I support the right to do so, however don't agree with the tactics of OC. To carry openly and empty is a receipe for disaster. It completely negates why most OC'ers carry openly, the deterrant factor.

Openly carrying an unloaded weapon in a state where it's required, and well known that the weapon is supposed to be empty is for the small percentage that OC for attention.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Sam
    Sam is offline I do not like green eggs and ham.
    WS6 where ya at?

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I live in a state with almost no restrictions on carrying guns. I have ZERO problems with it. I support it. Everyone I've dealt with who were armed were polite and let me do my job and I was respectful of their rights.

I support Open Carry but I think California is insane requiring the gun to be unloaded. OC as it is now in CA is stupid.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

DeputyDuc is offline On a wheel
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    This has been done before.

You'll find most LEO's are pro-carry.

You'll also find most of us wondering why you would carry in the open - loaded or not - but that most of us would support your right to do so.
    This.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    As a former officer in CA I'll chimei in on this. The county I worked in was pro CCW. The Sheriff treated it as a shall issue county. Because of this I always encouraged people to get their CCW. The problem with open carry in CA is that your weapon is required to be unloaded. Officers are able to check and verify this. There has been an incident recently in CA where a gangbanger pulled a gun on an open carrier and took his unloaded gun from him. Seems kind of pointless to have an unloaded gun The papers have made it known that open carriers have to be unloaded so the deterent is gone. Add on top of that the restrictions on where you can go (school zones) I would much rather see the state go to a shall issue state.

That said, if law abiding citizens were allowed to carry LOADED guns I would support that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinki View Post
    I'm not in law enforcement but as a former Californian, I think that the residents will have to say enough is enough and start pushing to reverse those troubling gun laws (instead of just trying to adapt to the laws as they exist). My entire family is in California but I won't move back to a place where I am not permitted to legally defend my own life.
    I'm not in LE either but as a resident of CA I will echo what the officers here have said that open carry of an unloaded firearm in this state is just plain stupid. You might as well place a bulls-eye on yourself that says "Hassle me" because LE and the criminals will sure do so. LE because it is their job to make sure that all citizens are safe and the criminals will do it because they have nothing better to do.

My county is currently a may issue one. The only ones that seem to qualify for a CCW here is people that reside in rural areas. There was an issue here awhile back where a former LEO (retired) could not get a CCW here because he lived in town. I'm not sure what the outcome of that case was but it did not put our Sheriff in a very good light. I think he was also up for re-election that year. He did win though.

I would pursue a CCW here but I haven't as I currently work on a Military Base and weapons of any kind are illegal. I don't go out much otherwise, so whats the point? If it wasn't for my Civilian Military job here, I would seriously consider moving out of CA, perhaps to Utah where some of my in-laws live.

I agree with what Pinki says but the only way we are going to succeed in changing the gun laws here is to get rid of the namby-pamby liberals in this state that seem to run rampant here. Most of them reside in the Los Angeles or the San Francisco Bay Areas. Other than that you will find that the rest of the state is quite conservative. We just keep getting out-voted by their sheer numbers.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

WS6 Rampage is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    What they said.
    I live in the North Hills area. ... I probably hear sirens from a cruiser jolting down the street 6-10 times a day. I respect the officers who would inspect my gun. It's their job. Ive never had an issue. **knock on wood**

As far as OC goes, I'm not a fan of carrying unloaded. But, its not like I have a choice in the matter. That's why I practice "speed loading". If I can stay under 2 seconds, I'm happy. BUT, I've also been stabbed twice and shot at in my line of work (nightclub bouncer) so I'm well aware of the fact that even a 2 second load & chamber would be 1.99 seconds too long! ... It sucks!

More folks in CA telling us what we CAN'T DO that what we CAN! Politicians are just aiming to get votes and whatnot. It's pathetic! ... Anyways!

I think in the past week alone, I've encountered 8 people who came up to me and asked "is that legal?"... I like the fact that I can educate them and explain that it is. They werent afraid, just curious. I like that. Most people don't know that it is legal. Granted, there are some pretty retarded restrictions.

Bigdaddy1 is offline Officer First Class
    I am a big advocate of open and concealed carry. If you go to (PM me for my forum) you will find a ton of input on carry issues from all the states.

I agree that as it stands now, open carry in California is a fashion accessory and should be thought of as such.

(edited, check with staff before posting links to forums) MacLean
    What part of "the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    FYI CA is again taking up a bill to ban all open carry because of the recent open carry movement. Wouldn't be a bad idea to ask other legislators to submit a bill for a shall issue CCW law in response.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Better yet, tell them to stop restricting your guaranteed second amendment rights and go with the national trend of Constitutional Carry. Remind them they in fact work for YOU, and they are not the states conscience.
    What part of "the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdaddy1 View Post
    Better yet, tell them to stop restricting your guaranteed second amendment rights and go with the national trend of Constitutional Carry. Remind them they in fact work for YOU, and they are not the states conscience.
    4 States have done so, if I recall correctly.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Yup, and a few more are introducing legislation, I know several groups are pushing for it in Wisconsin.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information