Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: pistol help.

louis is offline Rookie

pistol help.

i am a 15 male, and want to be in law enforcement when i am older. i want to start young.my dad was really into guns when he was younger, and i am also interested in guns also. i have been doing research. i am looking for a pistol. i was thinking that i was going to get a pistol now, and just use it when i am older and on the force. i was just wondering if that would be a good idea? like a gun that i would train and shoot with at the range, and also bring to the academy with me. Now i just to choose one. there are so many options. i have small hands. so i was looking at a 9mm because if the less felt recoil. but i will probably be upgrading to a higher caliber after getting used to shooting. ( i have never been shooting before, but i am going to start when my dads and my gun licenses comes in.) i like the looks of a 1911, i was looking at the wilson combat spec ops 9mm. any thought on that gun? or any other good/accurate guns that will last me many shots and years. any help is appreciated.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    On my phone, but we have a really good 4th generation 9mm Glock review. Can someone post a link to it please?

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Get a glock. Lots of departments issue glocks, they're easy to shoot, easy to disassemble, easy to clean, easy, easy, easy.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    You are 15 and have lots of time to think about future careers. Don't worry about training now, just have fun, stay out of trouble and get good grades. Try and get your dad back into shooting with you and enjoy it.

Most of the people I went through the academy with had never touched a gun before. So training is geared toward getting everyone up to speed from the very basics. You're probably better off not "training" now because you won't have to worry about any bad habits later.

Take your dad out and go plinking with a .22 or something and have fun.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

louis is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    Get a glock. Lots of departments issue glocks, they're easy to shoot, easy to disassemble, easy to clean, easy, easy, easy.
    which model do you recommend? i was also think about a taurus 1911 45acp. do you know any one that carries a 1911 as a duty firearm?

louis is offline Rookie
    another question...do cadets at the academy bring there own pistols? also are there and bomb techs. on this forum?

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    At your age, buy something you can afford to feed.

Get your dad to obtain a .22 autoloader. The Ruger Mark III is a good choice.

Check with the NRA for classes in your area.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    You are 15 and have lots of time to think about future careers. Don't worry about training now, just have fun, stay out of trouble and get good grades. Try and get your dad back into shooting with you and enjoy it.

Most of the people I went through the academy with had never touched a gun before. So training is geared toward getting everyone up to speed from the very basics. You're probably better off not "training" now because you won't have to worry about any bad habits later.

Take your dad out and go plinking with a .22 or something and have fun.
    Excellent advice. If you do choose to learn to shoot now -- go to someplace reputable like the NRA and actually get taught. You'll still acquire "bad habits" in the eyes of police fire arms instructors -- but they'll be "better bad habits." Unless your dad is a LE firearms instructor or some close equivalent, I don't care how good a shot he is -- learn to shoot together. Don't learn from him...

Regarding inexperience: I worked the last Basic academy session's firearms breakout. We had a recruit whose only admitted shooting experience prior to the academy was Duck Hunt video games and the like. By the end of firearms -- he was shooting not only expert, but actually fired a couple of perfect scores. We had several with no experience qualifying expert. If you go to the range, listen to the instructors and follow directions, you can do this, too.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by louis View Post
    another question...do cadets at the academy bring there own pistols? also are there and bomb techs. on this forum?
    Depends on the agency and academy. If you're paying your own way -- you'll probably have to provide a gun (they'll likely tell you what is acceptable; I wouldn't worry about it since things could change over the next 6 years) and ammo. If you're sent to the academy by your agency, many will provide the gun and ammo. Others will tell you what guns are permitted, and require you to purchase it yourself.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

louis is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    Excellent advice. If you do choose to learn to shoot now -- go to someplace reputable like the NRA and actually get taught. You'll still acquire "bad habits" in the eyes of police fire arms instructors -- but they'll be "better bad habits." Unless your dad is a LE firearms instructor or some close equivalent, I don't care how good a shot he is -- learn to shoot together. Don't learn from him...

Regarding inexperience: I worked the last Basic academy session's firearms breakout. We had a recruit whose only admitted shooting experience prior to the academy was Duck Hunt video games and the like. By the end of firearms -- he was shooting not only expert, but actually fired a couple of perfect scores. We had several with no experience qualifying expert. If you go to the range, listen to the instructors and follow directions, you can do this, too.
    yeah, i am attending a training class with my dad( he has to renew his foid card). i am also getting my foid card. me and him were looking for another gun to buy new. ( he already has a ppk, and a armi tangfolio gt-27 .25 cal)

berserk is offline The reason they do psych evals
    Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    Buy a gun, go shooting with it, have fun, but understand that this will be entirely irrelevant to getting a job as a cop later. Departments don't select candidates based on their marksmanship, or on any of the other skills that the academy will teach you.

Whatever gun you buy now will probably not be the same gun you carry on patrol some day.

Some departments will issue guns, others require you to buy your own. I prefer the latter.

There are plenty of officers on my department who swear by their 1911, but it isn't about looks. I like my Glock 22 because it's simple and reliable. Also because I first learned to shoot with a Glock, and nothing that I've shot since then has changed my mind.

Thread Information