Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: 420 issues

Traffic Goddess is offline soon to be "Law Goddess"
    South-Central PA or somehere on the Chesapeake Bay aboard our boat!

420 issues

I guess this is an appropriate question for today, 4/20...LOL
    Is anyone working in one of the states that has legalized marijuana? Have you noticed any increased problems with this? Does the dispensing system, etc. seem to be running smoothly or are there problems?

Personally, I have no issue with it. I don't use it but I can see the uses and benefits for medicinal purposes, especially after seeing someone die from cancer and the pain they went through with chemo, nausea, etc. It seems to be less dangerous than alcohol and you can't OD on it (unless something is added to it, of course). Now that they are offering it in pills and things like brownies, the argument of lung disease is a non-issue. I don't advocate legalizing any other drugs, personally I believe that cocaine and heroin are Satan. (and meth) I also (when on the job) would have rather dealt with someone stoned on pot than drunk. The stoners just wanted munchies, the drunks wanted to fight.

Just my opinion...and my being curious about the states with it legalized.

From FOX News, I didn't realize that so many states have done this: States where medical marijuana use is legal, in addition to Washington, D.C.

Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington.
    Remembering Officer Richard Phelps, Lemoyne (PA) PD, EOW- 7/11/89

lewisipso is online now Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Not legally dispensed in my area that I know of.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I used to work in the heart of the Emerald Triangle. Marijuana was the #1 cause of violent crime and murders in our area with Meth behind then alcohol. I've run into thousands of people with "doctor's recommendations" for marijuana. I have yet to ever see one for a legitimate reason. All of the people were just looking for an excuse to get high. They will also regulary admit it.

Alot of our DUIs were because of marijuana. One of my favorite things to arrest people for

If I ran into someone with marijuana they went to jail. If they had a doctor's recommendation they went through the Federal court system instead.

The problem with medical marijauna in CA is there is no control. There is no "prescription" for it. Only a doctor's recommendation. Some "docs" have built their careers around it. They will charge someone a few hundred dollars to sit down and talk about anything that may bother them, such as sleep, eating, back ache, heartache, sun to bright, tripped on a sidewalk 6 years ago, hangnails (actually ran into this before), etc. The "patient" then gets the recommendation for marijuana. It is good for the rest of their life. They never need follow up visits to see if it works. Never have to go to a pharmacy to get a set amount of joints, brownies, etc.

From what I've seen medical marijuana dispenseries are nothing but a legitimate drug dealer. Crime rates sky rocket around them. The owners start driving BMWs and Cadillacs.

People tell me that no harm comes from smoking dope. I used to take them to the local wal mart. They could then see the throngs of people that live in the parking lot. They can't work, they beg for their next cent, rob people for goods and money, and are desperate for their next joint. All they have ever done is marijuana.

I have more also but I feel my blood pressure going up just thinking about it.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

I'm glad you posted this, it's good to hear other viewpoints. As I've said, personally, I never had any issues with someone that was high on weed, they were always pretty docile.
    I don't agree with the idea that the prescription is good for life. It should be just like any other medication, they should be required to see the doctor ever 90 days or so.
    I know I'm showing my ignorance, but where is the Emerald Triangle?

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Goddess View Post
    I know I'm showing my ignorance, but where is the Emerald Triangle?
    Pot Capitol of the US.

Emerald Triangle
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Thanks, Xiphos! When I saw emerald, I thought maybe Washington State, as in Emerald City. I've never been to Cali and I have to admit that other than what I see on the news, I am not really familiar with the state. I know that my husband plans to take me out there at some point this year.
    For some reason, I guess I thought that a bigger growing area would be more to the south.
    We have a lot of fly-over missions in the National Guard where they look for plants in the middle of corn fields, etc. I did some of them while I was an MP in the Guard.
    Pennsylvania really doesn't seem to have big issues with it in the same way that we have problems with cocaine and heroin. I once heard a statistic that PA has some of the purest heroin in the US.* We have a straight shot from Philly and NYC to the four city area of Harrisburg, York, Lancaster, Lebanon. (And Reading) That's where the big problems are coming from with shootings, turf wars, etc. over coke and heroin. Most people are bringing it in by bus and train if not POV.

* This was a while ago at a class given by the DEA.

BHORN1240 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    I had a guy tell me he had a prescription for it. He had to tell his story to the judge after I arrested him. No medical uses where I'm from... Can you believe someone would lie to the police?

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    First off, the system is not working. All it takes to get a "prescription" is paying a crooked doctor $200.

The one benefit has been increased tax revenue for the city.

But don't believe the "legalizing pot won't increase crime" argument one bit. Burglary rates have skyrocketed because of the places getting burglarized, and there are a lot of robberies to individuals getting robbed of their weed.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Quote Originally Posted by ChesCopPodz View Post
    First off, the system is not working. All it takes to get a "prescription" is paying a crooked doctor $200.

The one benefit has been increased tax revenue for the city.

But don't believe the "legalizing pot won't increase crime" argument one bit. Burglary rates have skyrocketed because of the places getting burglarized, and there are a lot of robberies to individuals getting robbed of their weed.
    This actually surprised me. I thought that they would at least be more cautious with the medical regulation. Kind of like when you are being treated for pain and issued heavy medications, you are required to see the doctor every 30-90 days, here. I had two spinal surgeries within 11 months of each other so I was on some heavy stuff for quite a while and in order to get any refills, I would have to be seen in the doctor's office. Logically, you would think they would do the same thing.

I can understand everyone's arguments against it and I do agree with most of them, but I still feel that it should be permitted in certain, tightly regulated circumstances - the main one being for people that are receiving chemotherapy treatments. Like an earlier poster said, just handing out the prescription for any reason shouldn't be tolerated.

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Goddess View Post
    This actually surprised me. I thought that they would at least be more cautious with the medical regulation. Kind of like when you are being treated for pain and issued heavy medications, you are required to see the doctor every 30-90 days, here. I had two spinal surgeries within 11 months of each other so I was on some heavy stuff for quite a while and in order to get any refills, I would have to be seen in the doctor's office. Logically, you would think they would do the same thing.

I can understand everyone's arguments against it and I do agree with most of them, but I still feel that it should be permitted in certain, tightly regulated circumstances - the main one being for people that are receiving chemotherapy treatments. Like an earlier poster said, just handing out the prescription for any reason shouldn't be tolerated.
    It is regulated, but it isn't. If we can prove a doc is dirty, then his license goes bye-bye. But good luck proving it.

Honestly, it's running roughly 5 fakes to every legit patient. I can't count how many 20 something year olds have medical marijuana because they have "constant pain" or unspecified "breathing problems".
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The issues with marijuana usually surround the manufacture or sale, when you talk about violent crime.

We have seen burglaries on dispensary houses, and the odd home invasion - but smokers and tokers only kill people driving or operating machinery.

If you get a stoned fighter, he has alcohol or something else on board too.

The "medical dispensary" idea is a failure. Legalize it or don't. The medical issue in my mind is a wedge being used to pursue legalization, and since you can buy an RX it's meaningless.

If you do legalize it, sell it at licensed stores just like booze. That will cut down the burglary and home invasion BS.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

dot4x4 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified C/O
    Almost every single one of my juvenile "little darlings" that is about to turn 18 has the money saved and an appointment already made to get their "recomendation" on their birtday. I can think of three kids that have a "recomendation" because their pot head parents took them to a Doc and signed off on it . In California there is no such thing as a Prescription for pot. (pet peeve of mine when its called a "script"). Just had a kid get sentenced for 40 to life for a home invasion robbery of a pot grower. Kid was 17 and shot and killed a guy over a few pounds of pot.
    Twice a month I get kids coming in who are here for breaking into a house for their pot.

Its a broken system in my area. My best friend (from high school) who is an admitted pot head says its rediculous and out of control.

In my probation department the adults don't even get a probation violation for testing positive for pot unless they do something else too. And the juvenile's usually have to test positive two or more times before they are violated too.

My favorite story is the guy who has a Dr. RECOMMENDATION to treat his annorexia. This guy is every bit of 400 pounds.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dot4x4 View Post
    My favorite story is the guy who has a Dr. RECOMMENDATION to treat his annorexia. This guy is every bit of 400 pounds.
    It's obviously working
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    A shift mate of mine once stopped a 17 year old kid once. Found 3 ounces in his car. He immediately busted out his Med MJ registry card. That's over the personal possession limit for MMJ though. Also found 400+ bucks in the glovebox of his 07 Lexus. Registered to him. How does he pay for the car and have the cash? His job as a caterer. Except we found a paystub too...he was making about 8 bucks an hout, at about 12 hours a week.

We asked him why he used MMJ. He had a head injury from football practice and now gets headaches and has insomnia. I pointed out it was currently 0330 so maybe his current schwag wasn't working. Also made sure tto laugh real hard at the concussion excuse while I held the muay Thai gloves up that I had found in his backseat.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    It's obviously working
    Dang it..I must spread rep around before I can rep Mac again...can someone get him for me?
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Thread Information