Welcome to the APBWeb.
    slinky145 is offline slinky

Notifiying off duty officers

Does anyone have a system in place for notifiying off duty officers of an on duty officer or injury or officer involved shooting?

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    We don't. But we are a pretty small and tight knit department. Everyone has eachother's numbers so word would be spread quickly
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    We have a PD wide email and most officers use the cell phones to check the email.
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    We don't. We're too big to give everyone phones, but we're small enough that word travels fast.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    We don't.

Same with the above, too big for phones for each officer, but small enough that word travels fast.

But a couple years ago one of our sgt's was hit by a train while responding to a call (forced off the road by someone not paying attention, and then hit by a moving train). He was injured (he was back to work a short time later) and I didn't find out until the next day when I read it in the paper.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    if I don't hear about it through email or a phone - then I read about it in the news...

that's about it... nothing really too formal - I guess there's too many other things going on, and I'm not one of the "needs to know" so I'm not on a mandatory email for an OIS or injury...
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic View Post
    We don't. We're too big to give everyone phones, but we're small enough that word travels fast.
    +1

We have this available to us but it has not been used for this type incident.

https://www.blackboardconnect.com/si...z=110516201749
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Broke Hoss is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    On major incident where the need is seen; Chief or on scene Commander notifies; LT's who contact their SGT's, who in turn call their troops.

Of course, we try to notify anyone who would be more closely impacted (family, close friends) more directly and without delaying the official notifications. For less immediate circumstances we simply use a department wide e-mail. Once word starts flowing it spreads like wildfire. With our last ILD, my son was called by his SGT before I was. So I actually learned about it from him calling to check on me before I was "officially" notified.
    Blessed are the the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. MATT 5:10

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    How big is your dept? We have over 600 officers and we are all issued phones.

To answer the original question, there is a phone tree set up following the command structure. The supervisor actually on scene notifies dispatch to send a group page to the command staff. The command staff is tasked with alerting LT's, who then notify each Sgt under them, who notify every officer/detective in their squad.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Word of mouth here,BUT,in this community that is FAST. I have had my wife call and ask about a call that was still in progress,cause she heard it from her cousin,who heard it from her hairdresser,who...and we havent even loaded the body yet..I blame it on the cell phone.It pisses me off to no end when you have a suicide or fatalitie or whatever,the family shows up,and the fingers get to working."Oh I will miss him so much...yeah can you hear me ?? GUESS WHAT???".They all just want to be the first to spread gossip.Wish we had devices to jam cells.

Broke Hoss is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Wish we had devices to jam cells.
    THIS! For the exact reasons mentioned.

We were issued cellphones, but the city took em back to cut costs. Now you can get a $20/month stipend towards your phone bill. Only requirement is you gotta use it at work. I have no problem with this & it pays almost half my bill. Others just turned thiers in & refuse to acknowledge they actually do have a cell phone.
    Blessed are the the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. MATT 5:10

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    No formal system, though if necessary, we're small enough that the dispatcher can make calls and get the word out. If stuck doing it, I'd probably do like was mentioned above, and notify sergeants and those immediately effected and have them pass the word.

Of course, that assumes people answer the damn phone when work calls...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Broke Hoss View Post
    THIS! For the exact reasons mentioned.

We were issued cellphones, but the city took em back to cut costs. Now you can get a $20/month stipend towards your phone bill. Only requirement is you gotta use it at work. I have no problem with this & it pays almost half my bill. Others just turned thiers in & refuse to acknowledge they actually do have a cell phone.
    I would fall under the latter category only because defense lawyers are going after our cell records nowadays.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesCopPodz View Post
    How big is your dept? We have over 600 officers and we are all issued phones.
    Over 100 sworn, another 50 or so non sworn with CSO's, Animal Control, Property Techs, CSIs, etc. Your PD is actually the largest I've ever heard of to issue every single cop a phone! That's not a bad deal, especially to keep shitbag free ambulance chasers from trying to subpoena your phones.

I'm one of the officers at my PD that is issued a phone (a BlackBerry no less) because of operational concerns for a special team I'm on. I utilize it to make ANY call that is work related, including to other agencies, etc. I made the mistake once of giving my personal cell to a social services worker once (before I had my PD phone and my patrol car phone was MIA), so SHE could call me back regarding the CURRENT case I was consulting with her on. I made sure to tell her to dispose of the number as it was my personal cell. Lo and behold, about two months later, some other Soc. Svcs. worker called me on my personal cell, on my day off, while I was asleep. She asked me some mundane fucking question that she could have called the PD and left a voicemail about, but since the airhead I gave the number to included my number in the file, it went down as my official contact number. I was livid. The only reason I answered is because I recognized it as a county number, possibly the courts. I made sure to mark down for 2 hours of overtime, and made sure to let that worker know that under no reason was ANYONE from their agency ever to call me again on that number so they had better scratch it off their file.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

McCrackhd is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    We don't. Just word of mouth.
    YOUR ATTENTION, DO I F@#%ING HAVE IT?

I swear to Christ, if I survive this I'm gonna dance a jig!

RMFT-Bama fans get it

The views and opinions expressed on this site are not mine. They belong to my alter ego, Mathazar. Therefore, only Mathazar and his two brothers should be held responsible for the crap that is posted on this site under my name.

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    same here...the word travels SUPER fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

JeffW is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    We do have a system. Everyone is issued alpha pagers and all of them have an "all-call" feature that allows us to send messages to everyone at the same time. Some of the guys have turned them and prefer to have the message send as text message to phone. It works but we seldom use it because no matter what time of day you send it, someone is being woke up.

As a back up we have phone trees where I notify Lt's and they notify Sgt.s Each Sergeant is responsible for notifying his/her own troops.

We use it mostly for emergency assignments such as hurricane shelter operations, bad weather days etc.

Thread Information