Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Two Questions.

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    To those of you who say you must have the documents first: What would you do if the person refused to give them to you until you told them why you stopped them? Don't they have a right to know what they are being accused of before they identify themselves? ~
    I always give the standard greeting mentioned in my post above, however in most states, I think (I know it is here in Oregon), simply driving a car is enough reason for me to get ID from you. If you're behind the wheel, you've assumed the responsibility of being able to prove that you can be there (by having a drivers' license) and I can ask for that regardless of why you're stopped (even if it's on the side of the road and you're not actively operating the vehicle).
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

Sam
    Sam is offline I do not like green eggs and ham.
    Quote Originally Posted by irishmick View Post
    I always give the standard greeting mentioned in my post above, however in most states, I think (I know it is here in Oregon), simply driving a car is enough reason for me to get ID from you. If you're behind the wheel, you've assumed the responsibility of being able to prove that you can be there (by having a drivers' license) and I can ask for that regardless of why you're stopped (even if it's on the side of the road and you're not actively operating the vehicle).
    Does it matter when it's provided? Whether before or after being told why you're being stopped? Not an outright refusal (because that would be just plain stupid on the part of the driver), but only after being told why the person is being stopped I mean.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Does it matter when it's provided? Whether before or after being told why you're being stopped? Not an outright refusal (because that would be just plain stupid on the part of the driver), but only after being told why the person is being stopped I mean.
    I have always asked for DL/INS first because I can then explain the violation and if an argument ensues, I can advise the violator to stay in the car and go write the citation. I then come back, give them the cite (no violator signature required here) and advise them to argue it in court. If I don't have the DL/INS in hand, I have to stand there and listen to the excuses or escalate if the driver refuses to give me the info. In the end, me walking away before the argument gets rolling lessens the chance of a serious escalation. Also, the sooner I get the drivers info the less chance that they will try to bolt. It's safer for me and the violator.

It's how I was trained and it has worked well for a long time.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    To those of you who say you must have the documents first: What would you do if the person refused to give them to you until you told them why you stopped them? Don't they have a right to know what they are being accused of before they identify themselves? ~

I'm not aware of any statutory laws or case law that requires a person to be informed of why they were stopped before identifying themselves. In fact, I've written people citations in the past, and they didn't know what the ticket was for until I gave it to them (As a result of a brain fart, I forgot to tell them why I stopped them during my first interaction with them).

And people do occasionally refuse to ID themselves until I tell them why they've been stopped. Unfortunately they forget that while they are involved in the traffic stop (you've gotta have at least one cop and one violator), they're in no way in charge of, operating, or running the traffic stop.

The last guy who "refused" was told he WOULD provide me with his ID before anything else happened or he'd be removed from the vehicle and arrested for obstructing the legal process. He gave up his ID.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I know in AL that the Driver's License belongs to the state, so asking for it is reasonable. Also a traffic stop is a custodial arrest. I've never had to go as far as jmur though.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    "Hi, I need your license and proof of insurance" is how i open it.

I don't tell people why I stopped them until I have their license in my hand because if they want to argue it and deny it, or freak out and yell and scream...I don't even know who they are.
    I think I forgot to mention it -- but this is my reasoning, as well.

And like everyone else said, if people want to yell and bitch and scream, let them. I normally just smile and say "ok."

And rather than tell people "have a good day" or something similar after their stop I tell them "drive safe." I'll sometimes tell people to have a good day when it's a particularly good interaction and I give them a warning.
    I do the same thing, generally. "Drive safely, please" and often "don't forget your seat belt." as appropriate.

Another thing I do (and yes, it is sometimes a smart ass move)... If they tell me that they're lost or something like that -- I'll help 'em before they leave. It's actually good public relations... and there have only been a couple times I've been tempted to tell them to drive the long way around the Capital Beltway to end up a few blocks down the road...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    A traffic stop is a Terry stop, not a custodial arrest.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Verified LEO
    Not really; I have the authority to stop a vehicle for many reasons. The law says you must submit to that authority. I have the authority and duty then to ensure that the driver is licensed properly. Your right to confront your accuser is at trial -- not in the street.

That said, generally, I'll tell them why if they ask. I'm going to tell them anyway, and then, as others have said -- ask if they have an explanation. I've even explained to drivers that I haven't decided and will certainly listen to their reason. It may not sway me (How exactly is speeding going to help you get unlost?) or it may (I stopped a Marine just back from Iraq for a dead inspection. Yeah, that's a good excuse!)

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    And people do occasionally refuse to ID themselves until I tell them why they've been stopped. Unfortunately they forget that while they are involved in the traffic stop (you've gotta have at least one cop and one violator), they're in no way in charge of, operating, or running the traffic stop.
    Had one like that the other day. They ran a stop sign, and didn't bother to pull over because they "thought that I was after the driver in front of them." (Don't ask me how I was supposed to get to that car through theirs...) They got stopped at a red light, and I walked up and told them to pull to the curb. "Why?" with great indignation. The fact that I'd been behind them for a block and a half or so, lights glaring and siren blaring, apparently didn't signify anything immediately. My answer was simple and direct "Because I'm a police officer, stopping your car." (Oh, and their chances of getting a break hit negative numbers... right then.)

The last guy who "refused" was told he WOULD provide me with his ID before anything else happened or he'd be removed from the vehicle and arrested for obstructing the legal process. He gave up his ID.
    Yep. If you refuse to give me your ID, I can't issue a you a summons since I can't release you on your promise to appear if I don't know who you are. Congratulations; your ticket is now a custodial arrest. Funny -- explain that, and most decide they do want to cooperate a bit more.

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    As I approach the person I have stopped, I put on the smile. "Good mornng, do you know why I pulled you over?" Most will say why accurately. If they apppear sleepy, and I get a vague response, I address their being tired. If it comes down to not knowing why, I tell them. In the course of the discusion. I ask for their DL and reg. and insurance. "i'll be writing this vioation up and will be back with you in a minute." Look over any passengers and make eye contact with, or acknowledge, them.

If they refuse their DL, or refuse to sign the ticket, smile goes away, I go quiet/serious and explain that their behavior is contrary to law, their car will be towed as they go to jail. The car being towed seems to have more effect than the threat of jail to the driver. I give them the opportunity to decide: easy way or hard way, half a minute seems adequate, and no backing down if they choose the hard way. Liars about their lack of ID do not get the option of a choice.

Good luck in the academy and your FTO training. Don't worry if you seem to be all thumbs/forgetting everything on the first several stops, it's normal. At some point it will fall into place.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    My contact is the same always, if the traffic stop is normal.
    Good day (yes I will say good day) my name is (rank, name) with the (agency). The reason I am stopping you is...... I need to see your license, registration and proof of insurance please. (yes I say please) (All in one breath with no stopping) My verbiage will change only should the need arise. If not it stays the same every time.

I always inform the person of why I stopped them as I feel it gets the reason for the stop out of the way. It also shows I have the courtesy of letting them know why they were stopped. However, Louisiana law says....

32:411.1. Licensee to have license in immediate possession; notification to vehicle owner; surrender of license; issuance of temporary permits

A.(1) Any person lawfully possessed of a driver's license issued to him by either the Department of Public Safety and Corrections or the appropriate agency of another state if such person resides in this state shall have such license in his immediate possession at all times when driving a motor vehicle and shall display it upon demand of any officer or agent of the department or any police officer of the state, parish, or municipality.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Verified LEO
    By the way, VA Code 46.2-104 requires a driver to " stop on the signal of any law-enforcement officer who is in uniform or shows his badge or other sign of authority and shall, on the officer's request, exhibit his registration card, driver's license, learner's permit, or temporary driver's permit and write his name in the presence of the officer, if so required, for the purpose of establishing his identity."

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Howdy maam (or sir) I am Offiser Jones and I stopped you for a traffic violation, which I will not cite you for as we have a catch and release policy. I will, however, give you a warning ticket which is worthless asit gets filed away someplace and never seen again. If you ignore me and just drive away, I will not chase you as we also have a policy not to drive over 25 MPH or 25 miles per shift. Have a nice day.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    A traffic stop is a Terry stop, not a custodial arrest.
    I stand corrected. Your post made me research the case law:

Berkemer v. McCarty 468 U.S. 420 (1984)
    FindLaw | Cases and Codes

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    For moving violations, It's usually "Hello, I'm officer Podz with the xyz police department, the reason you were stopped is for going 47 in a 30. Is there a medical or other emergency that you're trying to get to?" This is where I usually get their excuse, usually something like "No I just wasn't paying attention". Then I tell them I need their license etc. Like the others, I tell them why they were stopped.

Unless it's for equipment or expired plates. Then after introducing myself, I ask whether or not they knew they had a headlight out or if they knew their plates were expired. Surprisingly, a lot of times they'll tell me they knew.

And I always lay on my modest southern accent I picked up living in Virginia extra thick and smile. And I always try to give a break. Whether it's lowering the speed on a radar ticket (we're allowed to), or writing them a ticket for an expired insurance card instead of running the stop sign. I usually end up getting thanked by the driver I just gave a ticket to.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
    This. Let them run their mouth all they want. My cameras are all recording, giving wonderful evidence to what they were like on the stop when they come in to court acting like a saint.

As to the greeting, I usually keep it pretty simple. "Evening, I need your license, registration, and proof of current insurance please" Once those are provided I explain the reason for stop. I do this to cut down on any debate for the cause for stop before I have them identified. If they ask me why I stopped them before I have at least their license/ID in hand, I kindly explain to them that I will gladly tell them once I have their information.

Exactly the same as me
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    This has happened to me before. I usually just tell them that I'd be more than glad to tell them why I stopped them just as soon as I can get those documents from them, just so I can speak to them man to (wo)man. That usually does the trick. When it doesn't, I don't fuck around. I go right to a changed tone (usually quieter rather than louder), and something along the lines of, "I'm going to ask you one more time to provide your license, registration, and proof of insurance before I start to lose my patience and this goes down a very different way." I've only had it go past that a couple times over 7 years. Nowadays if people still give me the case of the ass, I hit the pocket record button and give them a "lawful order" (in those words) to provide me with what I've asked for. Ask, tell, make. I've only had it go past that point once and there wasn't a fight. Cover arrived and I hooked him for failing to obey a lawful order and interference.

Like someone said, traffic stops are Terry stops, just with the additional element of a vehicle involved. While it doesn't rise to the level of a formal arrest, it is a detainment based upon at least reasonable suspicion. Based on Terry, subjects are indeed required to provide their identifying information to officers. The trump card here though is that a license is required in most, if not all, states to be carried on the person while operating a motor vehicle on public roadways. There's also usually a statute like the ones cited that require the license to be presented upon request. In most cases, failing to do so provides me with probable cause to summons or even arrest you. Here, I would just arrest you, based upon my PC, and the need to identify you positively through fingerprints and a mug shot. If you're going to be a pain in my ass and try to dictate the terms of my stop, I'm just going to CYA and do everything by the book, which means no break for you. Sorry.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtbear111 View Post
    If they refuse their DL, or refuse to sign the ticket, smile goes away, I go quiet/serious and explain that their behavior is contrary to law, their car will be towed as they go to jail.
    They don't have to sign any more Sarge, now we just hand it to them and walk away.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

cirrusly is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    Well, I only got to do one of the 3 car stop scenarios. The one I did do was a Spanish speaking driver. So this white boy (me) with blonde hair, blue eyes; walks up to the car and.......... Handled business. IN SPANISH. I love being a Spanish speaker with my Irish/German looks. It threw the driver off, threw the grader off, and earned me a perfect grade.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cirrusly View Post
    Well, I only got to do one of the 3 car stop scenarios. The one I did do was a Spanish speaking driver. So this white boy (me) with blonde hair, blue eyes; walks up to the car and.......... Handled business. IN SPANISH. I love being a Spanish speaker with my Irish/German looks. It threw the driver off, threw the grader off, and earned me a perfect grade.

Well done!
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information