Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Two Questions.

cirrusly is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    It worked because I had to slow down a little and actually think. Now if I can just slow down my brain for the other stops I'll be okay.

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    Well done, sir!
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    "Good afternoon, I'm Officer 720 with the village police. May I see your license and proof of insurance please? Do you know why I stopped you this afternoon?" 9 out of 10 times they'll admit to the offense. Then I continue, "I had you going 47 in a 25 zone. Did you know that you were going that fast?" They'll usually say something like, "Well, I was trying to slow down." I then tell them, "Please remain in your vehicle, I'll be back in a few minutes."

I see no arrogance or condescension in asking if they know why I stopped them. As far as it being "officious," I am, after all, acting in an official capacity!

I've had a few occasions where the person has gotten mouthy, and that usually means that they are going to get the full benefit of the judicial experience, and won't be afforded the use of my discretion in lowering the speed on the citation and will, consequently, suffer more financial loss.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by cirrusly View Post
    Well, I only got to do one of the 3 car stop scenarios. The one I did do was a Spanish speaking driver. So this white boy (me) with blonde hair, blue eyes; walks up to the car and.......... Handled business. IN SPANISH. I love being a Spanish speaker with my Irish/German looks. It threw the driver off, threw the grader off, and earned me a perfect grade.
    Good job. One tip... Make use of that deception. I don't look like I speak Spanish, either. It can throw someone off who figures the "no habla" game is gonna make the cop go away. And they'll sometimes say things to each other assuming you won't know what they're saying... Like the time I was doing a warrant service, and the woman who answered the door warned the target, and told them to give me a different name! OOPS!
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Your post made me research the case law:

Berkemer v. McCarty 468 U.S. 420 (1984)
    FindLaw | Cases and Codes
    Yessir, also:

State v. Sutton, Investigative stop and patdown not custodial for Miranda.

United States v. Leshuk, Terry stop even with weapons drawn not necessarily custodial.

State v. Benjamin, Ordered out of car and frisked not necessarily custodial.

I'm not certain if the circuits are still divided on some of the defining factors.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Another thing that Lew made me think of....

I almost always say the exact same thing when I go up to cars. My initial contact is always the same (except the violation changes each time obviously) and my wording when I release the driver is almost always the same (citation, warning each obviously have different scripts. But each script is the same).

I've gotten to the point where I can say it so quickly people have asked me to repeat myself in the past. I'm basically on autopilot, looking through windows, shining my flashlight around, looking at passengers, hands, etc, while I'm talking from my "script."
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    "Alright Sterling, where's the fire?"

(Sterling Moss an old british racing driver)

Never seems to wind anyone up at all.

Like most I just say "hello, I've stopped you because........"
    I find that telling them straight off stops that immediately confrontational response of "Why have you stopped me?!"
    Unlike most of my US colleagues I don't have to give name etc to someone. Its on my uniform anyway.

You can gob off all you like at me, gives me time to write the ticket, although if I were somewhere populated and within earshot of other members of the public you'd get a warning and then locked up if you didn't stop.
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO
    A couple years ago someone posted the same question. I don't remember who it was, but I always liked their answer.

Good evening, I'm Officer luckyme from the anytown PD and this stop is being recorded. Please hand me your liscense, insurance and registration.

The "this stop is being recorded" line seemed to prevent a lot of the mouthyness from a lot of people.

I also don't go over the reason for the stop until I have their documents. No good reason, just the way I was taught.

As far as someone running thier mouth. Do NOT take it personal. Do NOT let them drag you into an arguement.

(hmm, just noticed this computer doesn't spell check my post. Sorry.)

And since you know spanish, get used to being callled to backup a LOT of stops and calls.

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    They don't have to sign any more Sarge, now we just hand it to them and walk away.
    Thanks for the correction Mac. My knowledge base updated from the past century.

Ref Mopery that's an old one from my BLET academy days. Updated my knowledge base there too. No case law found.

Mopery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    Another thing that Lew made me think of....

I almost always say the exact same thing when I go up to cars. My initial contact is always the same (except the violation changes each time obviously) and my wording when I release the driver is almost always the same (citation, warning each obviously have different scripts. But each script is the same).

I've gotten to the point where I can say it so quickly people have asked me to repeat myself in the past. I'm basically on autopilot, looking through windows, shining my flashlight around, looking at passengers, hands, etc, while I'm talking from my "script."
    I think this happens to most of us. And for the same reasons... We aren't worrying about the words, we're looking at the car, the driver, the surrounding area.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Well, I only got to do one of the 3 car stop scenarios. The one I did do was a Spanish speaking driver. So this white boy (me) with blonde hair, blue eyes; walks up to the car and.......... Handled business. IN SPANISH. I love being a Spanish speaker with my Irish/German looks. It threw the driver off, threw the grader off, and earned me a perfect grade.
    No surprised look beats the suspect when, after standing there quietly, you tell the primary officer "He said I hope they don't look in the trunk." Don't advertise your talent.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    "He said I hope they don't look in the trunk." Don't advertise your talent.
    +1 Big Time.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtbear111 View Post
    Ref Mopery that's an old one from my BLET academy days.

I got "felonious mopery" from Car 4 - I think you guys were beat cops sometime around 1900 or so, right?

I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

McCrackhd is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    How's this: "Yo', sup? How's it hanging, yo? What the hell is your malfunction, numbnuts?! Did mommy and daddy not give you enough attention as a child?! Is that why you ran that F---in stop sign, or are you blind? No,let me guess, you're special and you what the Hell you want, is that it???

As for the second part- Sir/Mam, if you don't stop yelling at me, I may have to issue some "electric shock therapy".

Did that answer your questions??

Just kidding...do exactly the opposite of the above, unless you work for Prichard, then you can do what you want.
    YOUR ATTENTION, DO I F@#%ING HAVE IT?

I swear to Christ, if I survive this I'm gonna dance a jig!

RMFT-Bama fans get it

The views and opinions expressed on this site are not mine. They belong to my alter ego, Mathazar. Therefore, only Mathazar and his two brothers should be held responsible for the crap that is posted on this site under my name.

cirrusly is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Don't advertise your talent.
    I try not too, but I'll be working in an area highly populated by Hispanics/Mexican Nationals and I'm told 90% of my contacts made will be with hispanics. Most will see me and not think I speak spanish, but it won't take long here for me to get a rep. We ride one deputy per vehicle so I'll be solving my own spanish speaker issues.

Verified LEO
    I try not too, but I'll be working in an area highly populated by Hispanics/Mexican Nationals and I'm told 90% of my contacts made will be with hispanics. Most will see me and not think I speak spanish, but it won't take long here for me to get a rep. We ride one deputy per vehicle so I'll be solving my own spanish speaker issues.
    It's a balance. Talking to and simply getting known within the community as a professional, fair officer rather than an asshole who's always playing tricks and arresting them for nothing (in their eyes) will go a long way -- and make you very useful. My department has a native Spanish speaker and a guy who is more fluent than I am... but neither of them simply TALK to people. I actually have a better relationship with the Latino community than they do... My Spanish isn't perfect, but it goes a long way that I actually try.

One of the biggest challenges we have with communities like the Latino/immigrant communities is to get them to actually trust us and come to us when they need help. You can be a big factor in creating that trust.

At the same time... no sense giving an advantage away, either. And there is so much opportunity for fun -- like the trunk comments. Or the guys who just repeat "no hablo"... until you point out that you're NOT SPEAKING ENGLISH!

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I don't put forth the effort it would take to learn another language. However, if I did and were in your position, I would use just as little of it during conversation as possible. Maybe feign limited use. Pause while you talk as if you are thinking of a word and let that rep build first. You will eventually be ratted out if only due to having to testify in court about how you knew certain things. Use it up until you can't. You never know what you'll get out of it.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    I got "felonious mopery" from Car 4 - I think you guys were beat cops sometime around 1900 or so, right?

Public hybockery and suspicion of interstate mopery is my fav.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

JohnSmith is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I've got a question for ya'll....

I was talking to a few staties round here, and it is pretty much SOP for them to inform the driver whether they'll be getting a ticket or not immediately after receiving the drivers license/ins/registration. Thus making the decision right then, with no input based upon the driver's history.

Do you guys like this or not? They tell me it gives the driver time to "calm down" after getting the bad news.

I personally can't do it. First, I think it is dangerous. Second, I want to know the driver's history as part of my decision-making. Can the unsafe driving be fixed with a warning, or has a pattern of 8 citations for the same offense still not fixed it?

Verified LEO
    I'll sometimes advise them that I'll be back with a ticket -- but generally, I don't even if I've already made up my mind. When practical, I do like to look at their record; it's changed my mind both ways before. But I also just don't like to be locked in; a call may come out, something else may pop up... Nobody complains if they don't get a ticket you told them was coming -- but what if they come back suspended or something, and you've said "no, you're not getting a ticket.."?

Some technical tickets, like a few days expired tags or safety inspection, or a fishing expedition tag light or equipment violation, yeah, those I'll generally say something like "I don't plan on writing you ticket for this..."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information