Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Two Questions.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I can check the driving history of in state drivers. I do look at it to base my decision on writing or not. I always tell drivers that I am going to run their information. Regardless of what I write or don't write I attach their information to the stop. If I stop you, I will give you some paper to document why I stopped you. That is either a written warning or a cite. For minor stuff that is up to the driver's attitude and their driving history.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

NWdeputy is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    I say "Hello, I'm deputy (insert name here) with the X sheriff's department. I stopped you because (insert violation/reason here). Were you aware (your headlight was out/what your speed was/you were swerving over the fog line? Could I see your license, registration and proof of insurance? Thank you, where are you living now? If you will just relax for a minute I'll be right back with you, OK?

NWdeputy is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    Each incident of verbal abuse is different. You have to assess whether someone is just blowing off steam or whether they are increasing to a point where words will be transferred to action. I generally give them several minutes before the "OK, you have had your say and now you need to listen to me speech" That is, "OK, we are not going to try your case here, I'm a police officer, not a judge. I have a job to do here and I need certain information to complete that job. If you continue with your abusive comments and fail to provide me what I need to complete my work here, you will be arrested for obstructing, do you understand"

berserk is offline The reason they do psych evals
    Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    I introduce myself (or just say hello), and then request their license, insurance, and registration. Once I have the license in hand, I'll explain the reason for the stop and then ask for some additional contact information. If I think they're drunk, I'll do that while they're still looking for the other documents.

I specifically don't ask anything like "is there a reason for that?" or "do you know why I stopped you?" I think that the former question is particularly abrasive. The suspect and I both know that there almost certainly isn't a good answer to that, so form their perspective it's like I'm trying to make them look stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    As to your second question, free speech is free speech. So long as they are compliant with the things the law allows me to require of them, they can run their mouth all they want.

They're safer in the car unless there is some other reason to pull them out, and running their yap doesn't cut it legally.
    I respect their free speech, and I don't really care if they want to motherfuck me while they're doing what I say, but I don't quite agree with this. The legal standard for removing someone from a car on a traffic stop is pretty low. If someone is running their mouth to the point that I think they're psyching themselves up for something else, I might get them out of the car for the sake of keeping them in the mindset of doing what I say and of keeping them under increased scrutiny for the remainder of the stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    To those of you who say you must have the documents first: What would you do if the person refused to give them to you until you told them why you stopped them? Don't they have a right to know what they are being accused of before they identify themselves? ~
    No, they don't. I've never seen any court decision that says we have to explain a stop to a suspect before conducting the business of the investigation, even when it's only a traffic stop.

That said, if someone asks me why I stopped them before they cough up their ID, I'll just tell them. If they want to argue about it at that point, then I'll tell them that I'm not going to discuss it any more and repeat my instructions to give me their license.

Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSmith View Post
    I was talking to a few staties round here, and it is pretty much SOP for them to inform the driver whether they'll be getting a ticket or not immediately after receiving the drivers license/ins/registration. Thus making the decision right then, with no input based upon the driver's history.

Do you guys like this or not? They tell me it gives the driver time to "calm down" after getting the bad news.
    My first agency was like that, so I've tried it but I don't like it. I don't think it's unsafe to tell the driver whether they'll be getting a warning or a ticket, although if you tell someone you're just giving them a warning and then go check them for warrants I think there could be a question of unreasonably prolonging the detention. My problems with this approach are that I'd rather make that decision after I've taken their record into account and that I can't see any benefit to this approach at all. The driver has all the time in the world to calm down after getting the bad news no matter when I give it to them.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by berserk View Post
    I respect their free speech, and I don't really care if they want to motherfuck me while they're doing what I say, but I don't quite agree with this. The legal standard for removing someone from a car on a traffic stop is pretty low. If someone is running their mouth to the point that I think they're psyching themselves up for something else, I might get them out of the car for the sake of keeping them in the mindset of doing what I say and of keeping them under increased scrutiny for the remainder of the stop.
    Your mileage varies. It's tough to fight me from inside your car.

If it's going some other way, then I'm going to have more people there before they come out.

I'm not a cowboy, and I teach firearms. If it is going to be that sort of problem, I can move around and they can't.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    Your mileage varies. It's tough to fight me from inside your car.

If it's going some other way, then I'm going to have more people there before they come out.
    Sure, if I'm getting someone out of the car then I'm probably going to have more good guys with me beforehand. I wasn't addressing tactics, just pointing out that removing someone from a car because of their attitude isn't unreasonable.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Roger.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

jcsites is offline Rookie
    If every officer would be as polite as you are, I dont think there will be any misunderstanding at al. That's cool!!!!!l

WRQ3 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    Hello there, I'm (name) with (department), the reason for the stop today is (your speed, for example), did you realize you were over the posted limit back there? Okay, got a driver's license I can take a look at? (other where coming from/going/bs'ing questions). Is this your car? You have insurance on it? Got the card I can look at? (more blah blah). Sit tight, I'll be back up with you.

Unfortunately, I am issuing you a citation for not wearing your seatbelt and not having insurance on your car (oh wait, that was a stop yesterday....). The way you can take care of it is call this phone number, give them this number here on the ticket, and they'll be able to walk you through how you can take care of this. Any questions for me, anything I can answer for you now? Okay, safe travels.

Hate the "do you know how fast you were going" question. Hate the "do you know why I stopped you" question. I still get an admission without sounding like a smartass. I get thanks or handshakes on almost every stop (and it's 50/50 cite/warn, too)

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    I don't like "unfortunately" or, even worse, an outright apology.

"This is a ticket." It's factual, it's polite, and it doesn't open the window to crap. Unless you're dealing with a Middle Easterner... who will want to argue it with you then and there when you present the ticket.

It's just personal style -- but I don't apologize for doing my job. I may explain why I issued a ticket in lieu of a warning... but even that is very situational.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

warrants 1 is offline Cuffing & Stuffing for 12 years now...
    Verified LEO
    I never had any problem with just "Hello, I'm officer soandso with the yourtown police. I've stopped you for felonious mopery with intent to creep. Please provide me with your drivers license, registration, and proof of insurance."

As to your second question, free speech is free speech. So long as they are compliant with the things the law allows me to require of them, they can run their mouth all they want.

They're safer in the car unless there is some other reason to pull them out, and running their yap doesn't cut it legally.

this pretty much says it. This is how we were trained, and I pretty much stick to it unless the vehicle stop escalates to something else.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    I don't like "unfortunately" or, even worse, an outright apology.

"This is a ticket." It's factual, it's polite, and it doesn't open the window to crap. Unless you're dealing with a Middle Easterner... who will want to argue it with you then and there when you present the ticket.

It's just personal style -- but I don't apologize for doing my job. I may explain why I issued a ticket in lieu of a warning... but even that is very situational.

I agree.

I do however, occasionally come back with their ticket and say "Well, I've got some bad news for you..you are going to be getting a ticket for XXX, ok?"
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    I agree.

I do however, occasionally come back with their ticket and say "Well, I've got some bad news for you..you are going to be getting a ticket for XXX, ok?"
    Yeah -- I'm not so rigidly scripted in my stops that they're all the same. I talk to the driver rather than at them, so sometimes it's a little less formal, other times more formal. Depends on the attitude I get, and also what I may be after. If I'm going to try to flip the stop into something more -- I'm probably going to be more chatty. Walk up, and start telling me what you didn't do before I can even talk... Yeah, I get shorter.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by cirrusly View Post
    First Question:
    What verbiage do you guys use when initiating a traffic stop.
    I'm a huge proponent of Verbal Judo. If you haven't taken that class, I highly recommend it. I pretty much use the greeting they teach:
    Hello, I'm Officer Rhino with the LEF Police Department. The reason I stoppped you was [violation]. Is there a legal reason you [violation]? [Let them vent for a minute] I need to see your drivers license, please.

Quote Originally Posted by cirrusly View Post
    Second Question:
    How much verbal abuse/cussing will you take from a relatively compliant subject, at a traffic stop, before you pull them out of the vehicle with or without use of hands on techniques?
    They can yell and cuss until they're blue in the face. They may have the last word, I get the last act. As long as they are compliant, I let them vent.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    They can yell and cuss until they're blue in the face. They may have the last word, I get the last act. As long as they are compliant, I let them vent.
    Personally, and I mean personally, I'm good with this only to an extent. The cussing and verbal abuse comes to a screeching halt just as soon as this applies...

Once I can, literally, articulate that I don't believe the person has intent to honor the summons/cite it's off to jail. Contrary to popular belief we are not whipping stones. Nor, in my opinion should we be treated as such. Up to a certain point I'm going with the violator is just having a bad day. After a certain point they ARE going to have a bad day. Jmo.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Contrary to popular belief we are not whipping stones. Nor, in my opinion should we be treated as such. Up to a certain point I'm going with the violator is just having a bad day. After a certain point they ARE going to have a bad day. Jmo.
    Agreed. There are things that I respect about verbal judo. Just because someone is popping off at the mouth is no reason for us to sink to their level, and we should be above taking that sort of nonsense personally. I'm glad to see a program teaching that, but that's where my appreciation for verbal judo ends.

I think that the prescribed speeches that you're supposed to give at the beginning of traffic stops and pedestrian contacts are both condescending. I think that the "is there anything I can do to get you to comply" line is okay sometimes, but generally unnecessary. And I don't agree with letting people say whatever they want. I expect people to act like rational, civilized adults; when they fail to meet that obligation I am well within my rights to reasonably modify my approach to them. If they want to vent, they can vent all they want when I'm done with them. If I wouldn't put up with a certain behavior from my nine year old son, I'm damn sure not gonna put up with it from a stranger.

abom334 is offline Every Meth Head's nightmare
    Verified LEO
    I don't stick with a set Schpeel. I never tell them to have a good night or really chew anyone out. I tell them why I stopped them and ask for documents. I use alot of discretion when it comes to traffic violations. Unless its the felony license plate light violation leaving a dope house.
    "Fear not the night. Fear that which walks the night. And *I* am that which walks the night. But only evil need fear me …and gentle souls sleep safe in their beds…because I walk the night".- Dave Grossman

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread Information