Welcome to the APBWeb.
    McCrackhd is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO

To my fellow officers in Britain

Disclaimer: This question has nothing to do with the riots, actually been wondering for a while.

I know, traditionally, British cops do not carry sidearms. But someone mentioned several years ago that y'all started carrying due to the increase in violent gangs in Britain, especially London. So...do you or don't you?

BTW, stay safe during the riots!!
    YOUR ATTENTION, DO I F@#%ING HAVE IT?

I swear to Christ, if I survive this I'm gonna dance a jig!

RMFT-Bama fans get it

The views and opinions expressed on this site are not mine. They belong to my alter ego, Mathazar. Therefore, only Mathazar and his two brothers should be held responsible for the crap that is posted on this site under my name.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by McCrackhd View Post
    Disclaimer: This question has nothing to do with the riots, actually been wondering for a while.

I know, traditionally, British cops do not carry sidearms. But someone mentioned several years ago that y'all started carrying due to the increase in violent gangs in Britain, especially London. So...do you or don't you?

BTW, stay safe during the riots!!
    They have some cops trained in armed response units. I'll let the Brits here explain the logistics of it but my take is that line guys get a call for someone who is armed and the armed guys have to get called out and get permission to deploy their firearms. Meanwhile an hour goes by with the unarmed line guys handling shit themselves.

It's sort of like us waiting for SWAT to show up, gear up, and put a plan together (which is why we seem to be moving more toward "every cop his own SWAT team" to deal with the immediate threat when needed.)
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    I can only speak for London.

There are Armed Response Vehicles patrolling 24/7. They have a 3 man crew in each. Tasers, Glocks, MP5's, some have G36's and some carry a rifle too. They only deal with calls regarding weapons (including blades). They do not need permission to deploy at any call, or even be assigned to an incident for them to attend. Most incidents requiring them can be reached in a few minutes.

There is a Tactical Support Group with more kit and armoured vehicles on standby at the base.

If it's major incident a SWAT type team (12 man) is at the base 24/7 (and sometimes half the team will be out on patrol too). Another Team is on call for immediate return to work. There are 12 such teams.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Tango Zulu 22 is offline Duncopperin!
    Verified LEO
    My neck of the woods runs ARV's 24/7.
    They are double crewed, standard kit is a taser, sidearm & G36 carbine each and a single Baton Gun for longer range less lethal options.
    A common mistake made when trying to come up with a totally foolproof design is to completely underestimate the innate ingenuity of fools.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you but it's still there on my list of options, so are you coming quietly.........?

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    That's better than I thought. Nice!
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    So, the normal beat cops don't carry firearms? What happens if they come across a perp with a gun? I know y'all get special (meaning better than us) training in disarming edged weapons, but not much you can do against a gun. Or is that just such a slim chance that the brass won't justify sidearms?

One of the reasons I ask, is that Germany (from what my German freinds have told me) has very strict gun laws. You can't carry a pistol on you like in the U.S., only to and from a firing range. And it has to be in a secure box and unloaded during transport. You can have a pistol in your home for self-defense, though. Polizei carry sidearms just in case. Why don't y'all?

RMFT-Bama fans get it

The views and opinions expressed on this site are not mine. They belong to my alter ego, Mathazar. Therefore, only Mathazar and his two brothers should be held responsible for the crap that is posted on this site under my name.

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    I have to admit now I'm curious as well.
    Romans 8:28-31

"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Sheriff, County Board, or any member of my department.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    One of the reasons I ask, is that Germany (from what my German friends have told me) has very strict gun laws. You can't carry a pistol on you like in the U.S., only to and from a firing range. And it has to be in a secure box and unloaded during transport. You can have a pistol in your home for self-defense, though. Polizei carry sidearms just in case. Why don't y'all?
    Sounds like a Liberal Californian's best dream.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    So, the normal beat cops don't carry firearms? What happens if they come across a perp with a gun?
    Nope, no guns.

It is extremely rare for cops here to encounter anyone with a firearm. You can't own a pistol here, unless it's black powder or .22 etc. Shotguns can only be owned with a licence and your home is inspected to check you have a gun safe to secure them in. And you have to have a valid reason to have them.

Weapons are becoming more common, but generally gang on gang.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Same here armed patrols 24/7 but generally need duty officers permission to deploy at an incident, unless of course it is spontaneous and they just happen across it.
    They only run three or four cars in my county and they are also used for other police duties.
    But as trojan rightly says it is pretty uncommon for normal officers to encounter firearms being used against them specifically.
    There is an increased availablilty and use of taser as edged weapons are still our most common foe!
    If you have no criminal record it's not to difficult to get a shotgun certificate, but it is subject to not just background but physical checks re security etc as well.
    You will not get permission for any kind of firearm other than .22 generally.
    Oh and things like pepper spray also fall ,strangely you will think, into the same category as a firearm so you can't have that either!
    Most of the shootings are still gang on gang and it's often the same weapon being passed around and used by multiple people.
    Although having recently travelled through one of our ports it would be pretty easy to bring stuff into the UK from eastern europe where getting hold of firearms is fairly easy.

we tried to get this through customs but they were having none of it

the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Verified LEO
    we tried to get this through customs but they were having none of it
    I dont know what the problem was??

RMFT-Bama fans get it

Thread Information