Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    berserk is offline The reason they do psych evals
    Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by k9medic View Post
    At my new agency, I actually get to stop and talk to people. I eat lunch with the chief (as can any other officer) and the residents actually enjoy seeing us.
    My first two agencies were like that. I can see that there are advantages, but I wouldn't want to go back to anything that small.

k9medic is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    Had I not done the high speed low drag stuff when I was young, then I certainly would not want to be at the department that I'm with now. The agency has 4 full time guys and 6 part time guys. With exception of 1 part time officer, every other officer has has been at another larger agency. As a matter of fact, the chief will only hire officers that have experience.

The city really lucks out - they get a highly experienced officer for the price of a rookie. In exchange, we get a great place to work with minimal micromanagement and an awesome view of the sunset.

Big Sexy is offline Not your mothers BIG SEXY
    Verified LEO
    BIG has been with his third agency for the last 5+ years. From here he might jump to an OIG or something, but has plenty of pf domestic and international opprotunities with his current agency. He's eyeing possible postitions in Kabul, Bagdad or Mexico City. Of course, these are unaccompanied psotitons, meaning no family allowed.
    Don't Be Afraid To Fail.

No Tengas Miedo Al Fracaso.

berserk is offline The reason they do psych evals
    Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by k9medic View Post
    Had I not done the high speed low drag stuff when I was young, then I certainly would not want to be at the department that I'm with now. The agency has 4 full time guys and 6 part time guys. With exception of 1 part time officer, every other officer has has been at another larger agency. As a matter of fact, the chief will only hire officers that have experience.
    It isn't so much the pace that would kill me. I am happier at work when I've got work to do, but I stayed pretty busy when I worked in a small town. The thing that bothered me about working for a smaller agency was the fact that everyone in town knew everyone. If I arrested someone, they probably already knew my home address.

k9medic is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by berserk View Post
    If I arrested someone, they probably already knew my home address.
    That's why I live about an hour away .

Only the chief lives in town and he's lived there almost 30 years. Small town policing is certainly different that's for sure!

Spartacus is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    I've worked for a couple of different small agencies (5-6 man department) prior to where I am now. We are a department with 38 sworn officers serving a population of about 20k. I enjoy working here. What would make it perfect is to have a traffic unit where I can put great use of my crash recon skills and do what I really love doing to practice more often.

JBaird22 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I started as a reserve in 2000 at a small agency that later hired me full time. I went to the academy on their dime and returned. I decided I wanted to move to the "big" city and moved to Seattle and worked for a very small agency north of there. I was a punk kid that should have had his back side in the military or learning how to behave as a human. Eventually that attitude, got me asked to leave. I was out of LE for 20 months before a good chief saw a man that had grown up and hired me in Missouri. I've been here for 6 years, and in those 6 years, I've been a FTO, a firearms instructor, a corporal, and a building search instructor.

My desire to go home to the northwest has me looking to lateral again. That would be agency #4 and after that I am done. No more job hopping so I am being selective. I love being a street cop and in my current position I don't get to do that very much.

Checkman is offline What's the nearest cross street?
    Verified LEO
    I started working for my agency in 2000. I was hired on full-time. I was 32 at the time. I'm 43 now and observed my 11th anniversary a couple months ago. I'm not going anywhere else. I've got seniority here which translates to job security - as much job security as one can expect in this world. I live here in the city that I work for and it's a whole three minute drive to the station from my front door.

Before I was a cop I was in the Army. I just don't feel like jumping through the hoops anymore. I'm one of the senior officers and people don't screw with me. I'm still just patrol and several of the recent promotions are folks who either started at the same time I did or after me. I'm competent and professional which ,combined with my years, ensures that they don't mess with me.

A couple years ago the situation at work wasn't good, but I got through it (gee that could be a metaphor for life) and now it's pretty good. Good times come and go.

I could make more money at a couple neighboring departments, but like I said earlier I'm done with gameplaying. I'm almost 44 years old. Your attitude changes as you get older. Plus I would lose the security. I don't want to be a rookie again.

warrants 1 is offline Cuffing & Stuffing for 12 years now...
    Verified LEO
    Started at East Hampton Police Dept. on Long Island, NY. (called the playground of the world..). Lost my f/t job with defense contractor in 1998 and moved here to Myrtle Beach, SC. Been with County Law Enforcement- Police oand then Sheriff) since then.

armygrnt502 is offline Making my streets safer, one day at a time
    Verified LEO
    I started my LEO career in 2005, after I ETSd out of the Army...I left the Army in March, and was hired in July by my first agency. Stayed there several years, for only a city of 35k people, it ranked (still does) 2nd in the state for crime. Needless to say it was a busy agency, with only 70 officers sworn and a handful of civilians working for them.

I took my job currently and some people raised an eyebrow. I went from a senior patrolman in one agency to moving up to the chief position in another. Naturally its a lot smaller department but the headaches are still there that the larger departments have, just minimized. I took a small cut in pay and bene package for the job, but here I can mold and shape this department into being accredidited within the next year (Ive been here for one year already) and after the grants and what not have finally come in, I could pretty much write my ticket anywhere else Id want to go.
    "Sometimes people need a little help. Sometimes people need to be forgiven. And sometimes they need to go to jail."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information