Welcome to the APBWeb.
    luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO

Cleary Act - Campus LE

All universities are required to post online a list of crimes that meet certain criteria committed on their campus for the past three years. It is supposed to help prospective and current students in considering there choice of higher ed. It is named after Jeanne Cleary, who was raped and murdered in 1986 at Lehigh University.

It's a good program and can really shed light on a universities situation. But as most stuff the fed's mandate, it's full of confusing rules and regs on our end of it.

I've been going over my pd's reports and stats from last year so we can get the update online by Oct. 1st. Anyone else on the board involved in this? I would love to be able to bounce some questions off of somebody that isn't going cross-eyed after reading reports for a few weeks.

SignalW is offline Deja Vu All Over Again...
    Verified LEO
    I was just notified by my Deputy Chief today that I would be "assisting" with this and he wants me trained up for next year.

So I may be feeling your pain soon.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Deleated by me. (on purpose) I screwed up and posted to the wrong thread

Verified LEO
    The trouble with the Cleary Act is that the reportable crimes are narrowly defined. What are NOT reported are those crimes hat occur every day, i.e. theft of property and damage to property. A prospective parent/student sees that there was 1 Murder 2 miles from Campus won't have a problem with that, What they ARE NOT told is that if they have a Laptop Computer for example, it will be stolen sometime during their first year. Most if not all property crimes are NOT reported in Cleary, thus these reports are misleading.

mfranklin01 is offline its not vendication...its punishment
    Also the way that many universities want the crimes reported can be misleading. The admin may not want as many burglaries reported and instead have the crime reported as theft from a building.
    "Be Polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet"

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by mfranklin01 View Post
    Also the way that many universities want the crimes reported can be misleading. The admin may not want as many burglaries reported and instead have the crime reported as theft from a building.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!

luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by mfranklin01 View Post
    I don't have the numbers in front of me but several universities got tagged last year with this. Some pretty good fines. I'm sure it still goes on though. I will say, I'm lucky that my admin would rather I over report than under just to be safe.

The only property crimes reported are
    Robbery, Burglary (from a dwelling), and auto-theft.

We haven't had a car stolen EVER, but have to report 4 last year because of some golf carts some of the kids took for a joy-ride.

SignalW, there's a real good video online somewhere that really helps. I'll see if I can track down the link, and good luck

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
    I don't have the numbers in front of me but several universities got tagged last year with this. Some pretty good fines. I'm sure it still goes on though. I will say, I'm lucky that my admin would rather I over report than under just to be safe.

The only property crimes reported are
    Robbery, Burglary (from a dwelling), and auto-theft.

We haven't had a car stolen EVER, but have to report 4 last year because of some golf carts some of the kids took for a joy-ride.

SignalW, there's a real good video online somewhere that really helps. I'll see if I can track down the link, and good luck
    It ain't limited to universities. Whether it's "you will mark out & generate a call for service for everything" to build numbers or the reclassification of offenses as above (burglary becomes trespass w/larceny... or the reverse, depending on what you want to show), it's gone on as long as we've tracked statistics to justify activity or inactivity.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

CT209 is offline Once..... Forever
    Verified LEO
    I generate the Clery stats for my university. Luckily for me, the CAD does it based on the NIBRS code used in the report, so it's pretty painless.

Painless that is unless the officer used the wrong statute which assigns the wrong NIBRS code.... which causes it not to be Clery reported. But I review each report at the end of the month and ensure the proper NIBRS code was used prior to sending out my NIBRS stat report so I catch most everything. It usually only requires me to spend about 4-6 hours in January double checking things. I usually run my Clery stats in February so when the Chief wants them in August, I just hand him the folder.

We're pretty honest and straight-forward with our stats. No fudging to make what is basically a very low amount of incidents look even lower. I believe three universities got hit with fines last year for mis-reporting. We didn't.

Clery has some dumb stuff built into it but I've become pretty used to dealing with stupid federal stuff and I only rarely get wound up about it anymore.
    "When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

Old Scottish Motto- "nemo me impune laccessit". It still holds true today.

Thread Information