Welcome to the APBWeb.
    ms1600 is offline Neither here nor there

Reid Interviewing & Interrogation techniques

I'm in an OSHA Whistleblower training class in Florida this week and one of the presenters mentioned Reid. He had an DOD background and experience as an investigator.
    1. Have you attended a Reid Interviewing & Interrogation class?
    2. Would you recommend the 3 day class & the 1 day advanced class?

Thanks

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Sorry I have not. We do not attend much training here.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Yes to both. I enjoyed Reid and used it quite a bit. It's pretty alien and the techniques seem odd but they do work if you use them and have patience. It also takes some practice.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    A couple of guys on my shift went to it, and told me it really isn't beneficial.

They're reasoning, is because we work at night, and primarily deal with people intoxicated on drugs and alcohol, thus, the Reid techniques aren't effective with them.

But, again, I didn't take the class. That's what they told me.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    If you couple Reid with experience, you will serve yourself very well indeed.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post
    If you couple Reid with experience, and some poker table time, you will serve yourself very well indeed.

Car 4

Fixed it for you.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Bjohnson63 is offline King of the Shit Bucket
    Verified LEO
    I went to Northeast counter drug version, which was free and extremely good. They use a few of the Reid stuff. I know a few guys that went to Reid and they liked it.

Broke Hoss is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Went to several I&I schools while in CID, the Reid technique was 1 of the good ones. I used it a lot and still do even on the streets.
    Blessed are the the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. MATT 5:10

yooper warden is offline Fish Cop
    Verified LEO
    I've been throught both classes and there is good stuff to be learned. Like was said it take practice, experience and a good poker face. I have never done a full blown REID on someone , interview, interrogation like they teach, but have used bits & pieces of both in a modified interrogation may times. Most really experienced bad guys don't fall for the BS anyway. For a street cop, who just holds it down for some CID unit, it may not be that useful, but if you do further follow-up investigations, it can be handy. Just another tool for your tool box.
    John

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Reid has good points, as do many of the others. One thing I don't like about the Reid Technique is that it is very confrontational, so it's not suited to every interview. I've had a brief version of it.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Fixed it for you.
    I shoulda said that!

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO

on Reid:

It was very valuable for me as an investigtor, and later as a polygraph examiner. It increased my clearing cases by confessions quite a bit. Like many techniques, it does not stand alone as the "one magic button" to succes, it is more like having a bigger wrench in your toolbox.

Reid is of value to the uniformed officer, for it teaches you to read the body language that may be a warning of something about to happen.

I highly recommend Reid for the investigator and an officer safety tool for the uniformed officer. It is all about non-verbal behavior being the strongest indicator of involvement in doing 'that bad thing'.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Reid isn't a "trick" or a magic technique.

An experienced officer and investigator will intuit a lot of the stuff Reid teaches because of their experience.

Taking the 3 day Reid course will shorten that learning curve for you.

I learned a lot in that 3 day course and have used it successfully, I can definitely recommend that course.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

ms1600 is offline Neither here nor there
    Thank you all for the feedback. I deal with difficult people in the state agency I work for (its not a small town in Wisconsin). There's a Reid class coming to AK in March 2012 that I'm going to convince my boss to send us to.

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    Reid isn't a "trick" or a magic technique.

An experienced officer and investigator will intuit a lot of the stuff Reid teaches because of their experience.

Taking the 3 day Reid course will shorten that learning curve for you.

I learned a lot in that 3 day course and have used it successfully, I can definitely recommend that course.
    +1

I had basically the same experience with the Reid course and have co-workers that highly recommend it.
    Romans 8:28-31

"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Sheriff, County Board, or any member of my department.

NWdeputy is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    I have attended Reid Basic and Advanced. Reid is considered the standard for interrogations. I recommend the course. If you are not a good interrogator it should tell you why you aren't. If you are a good interrogator, it will define what you are doing right and what you are doing wrong.

Thread Information