Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Buttercup is online now Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1

Excuse me, officer!

While I was in a major train station not long ago, a situation unfolded which resulted in two transit police officers approaching and questioning someone. Although it took place literally a few feet away from me, even if I'd been sitting across the room I would have been able to determine that the officers were not simply having a friendly chat.

In the midst of this a woman approached one of the officers, waved her Amtrak ticket at him and asked him about her train. Mind you, this took place perhaps a dozen feet away from the Amtrak counter and even closer to the station's information desk. I don't know if the woman was oblivious to what was happening or if she was just stupid, but I couldn't believe that she would interrupt a police officer like that. Even if he hadn't been in the middle of something, why she would ask him about the train schedule in the first place is beyond me.

Do people often approach you like that, when you're in the middle of questioning someone, etc.? What do you say or do?

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    While I was in a major train station not long ago, a situation unfolded which resulted in two transit police officers approaching and questioning someone. Although it took place literally a few feet away from me, even if I'd been sitting across the room I would have been able to determine that the officers were not simply having a friendly chat.

In the midst of this a woman approached one of the officers, waved her Amtrak ticket at him and asked him about her train. Mind you, this took place perhaps a dozen feet away from the Amtrak counter and even closer to the station's information desk. I don't know if the woman was oblivious to what was happening or if she was just stupid, but I couldn't believe that she would interrupt a police officer like that. Even if he hadn't been in the middle of something, why she would ask him about the train schedule in the first place is beyond me.

Do people often approach you like that, when you're in the middle of questioning someone, etc.? What do you say or do?
    Doesn't suprise me a bit. Stopping in the middle of traffic being directed at a busy intersection, pulling up at a crash scene, walking up while handling a call, or yelling a question while you're dealing with a high risk stop with weapon unholstered, I've seen it happen.

How they are handled depends on what I'm dealing with at the time.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
    Doesn't suprise me a bit. Stopping in the middle of traffic being directed at a busy intersection, pulling up at a crash scene, walking up while handling a call, or yelling a question while you're dealing with a high risk stop with weapon unholstered, I've seen it happen.

All of the above.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    This. You can tell that the type of person that does this has such an important question that they would never think to ask a cop unless they see one. I'm all for small talk and the like when grabbing a cup of coffee at the shop and rob, but on a traffic stop ect it is a safety hazard for them and me. The absolute worst was being outside a bank during "a situation", hunkered down WITH MY AR15 OUT, and then asked if the bank was open. (all while standing in front of the main door)

Bottom line is I've been on the phone with members here. When one of us has to go we have to go. It is understood. It is rude to interrupt an ongoing conversation, it is down right dangerous to insert yourself when any first responder is working.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Bottom line is I've been on the phone with members here. When one of us has to go we have to go. It is understood. It is rude to interrupt an ongoing conversation, it is down right dangerous to insert yourself when any first responder is working.
    Yep. Hearing, "Hey man...gotta go" and a click is pretty much universal. It's also nothing for the phone to ring 3 hours later and hear "Anyhow...I was saying" as soon as you answer.

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    The absolute worst was being outside a bank during "a situation", hunkered down WITH MY AR15 OUT, and then asked if the bank was open. (all while standing in front of the main door)

What did you answer?

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Not surprising at all. I actually had a woman approach me from behind while I was on a felony traffic stop with the suspects in the vehicle ( who were wanted in an armed robbery by the way) being held at gunpoint by myself and another officer awaiting more LEOs to get to the scene. She wanted to know how much longer we were going to have the road blocked because she had to get to work. Keep in mind there were about five intersections she could have turned at in the direction she came from and gone around where we were on this particular street. Never under estimate the stupidity of the public.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    She wanted to know how much longer we were going to have the road blocked because she had to get to work.
    You could have told her to ask the suspects, since the outcome of the stop would depend on what they did....

Sarge405 is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    I have always taken pride in my calm behavior no matter what the situation. The only complaint I ever had filed against me was during a hostage situation at a hotel lobby/restaurant. Several officers including myself were the first responders and we had the scene secured and I was the senior first arrival. I began talking to the suspects and as I was listening to them when a couple came up and before any other officer could approach them the woman shouted that she needed to get to the lobby to get her room key. I turned and ask if she was mentally challenged, because if she wasn't she was going to be arrested. That no one could be that stupid deliberately. Her husband wisely chose the MC card.
    "Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character."
    Albert Einstein

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    You could have told her to ask the suspects, since the outcome of the stop would depend on what they did....

She was very upset because I didn't take the time to give her directions around the scene. I did tell her how she could get to the jail quick , fast and in a hurry.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post

Yes.

Depending on the situation, anything from a fairly polite "I'll be with you in a minute" through "GET THE FUCK OUT MY WAY!" to arrest for obstruction.

People are stupid. I know a guy who was on a felony stop, crouched behind a cruiser, gun out -- and had some lost dumbass walk up and ask for directions. I've had people literally drive through traffic stops. (It's only dumb luck that they haven't driven through a felony stop.) People simply don't realize that their little situation sin't the only thing going on. It's really no different from the guy who walks past everyone waiting in line to demand service...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Yep. Hearing, "Hey man...gotta go" and a click is pretty much universal. It's also nothing for the phone to ring 3 hours later and hear "Anyhow...I was saying" as soon as you answer.
    Or to be sitting, talking with someone and suddenly see their gaze kind of go a little off for a beat, answer up the radio as they stand up and head out 'cause they just got a call.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    Or to be sitting, talking with someone and suddenly see their gaze kind of go a little off for a beat, answer up the radio as they stand up and head out 'cause they just got a call.

Yep. My family has even picked up on the look and realizes when my earpiece has taken over the conversation. My youngest will cut off her older siblings with "daddy has a call, tell him later".

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Multiple police cars, cops out with guns drawn, yelling at robbery suspects in a vehicle in front of a stop and rob store. An entire parking lot, empty behind us. Guy pulls up next to me and says, "So is this not a good place to park?"
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post

What did you answer?
    Last edited by Five-0; 11-23-11 at 09:02 PM.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    All the frickin' time. Of course, I think this is universal, and not just to LEO's. I've seen it happen with firemen, medics, and the gas station attendant. I think they're just rude people who don't have any manners and their parents never taught them not to interrupt when someone is talking.
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

cajunguy is offline I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    I've been known to tell some of these jerks to "Don't interrupt while the grownups are talking."

Surprised I haven't gotten nasty-grams a couple of times.

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I don't think courtesy or professionalism are relevant when something like this happens, AND someone's personal safety (mine, co-workers, witnesses, etc) are of concern.

When that happens, I normally drop some four letter words and yell. It gets the point across and makes me feel a little better, complaints be damned.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Buttercup is online now Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I never cease to be amazed at the stupidity of some people, and the restraint that you guys must use in those situations is admirable.

In this situation, the officer just said, "Information is over there," and the woman wandered off.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information