Welcome to the APBWeb.
    IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2

The Tortoise and The Hare

We know you have run radar for speeders. Have you ever set up your radar and ticketed someone going too slow?
    Nearly every time I am on a freeway/interstate, there is at least one or two vehicles just crawling along.
    To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I have not. Yet.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Not many areas with a minimum posted limit in my usual beats. I have written warning for people driving so slow on a divided four lane highway that they are a traffic hazard. I use this statute:

Section 32-5A-174
    Minimum speed regulation.
    (a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.

(b) Whenever the Director of Public Safety and the Director of Transportation, with the approval of the Governor, or local authorities within their respective jurisdictions determine on the basis of an engineering and traffic investigation that slow speeds on any highway or part of a highway consistently impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, the said directors or such local authority may determine and declare a minimum speed limit below which no person shall drive a vehicle except when necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law, and that limit shall be effective when posted upon appropriate fixed or variable signs.

The road that I work most of my MVAs on needs a minimum speed as it is really just like an interstate. The problem you run into is that people start thinking you are writing chicken shit tickets when in actuality the following too close, equipment violations (specifically involving lights) ect actually cause wrecks. With the way we do accident reports on computer now I'm hoping that the statistics will show a need to enforce some of the smaller statutes that cause major collisions. Unseen vehicles and unexpected vehicle movement are the worst in my humble opinion.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by IMGreat101 View Post
    We know you have run radar for speeders. Have you ever set up your radar and ticketed someone going too slow?
    Nearly every time I am on a freeway/interstate, there is at least one or two vehicles just crawling along.
    Yes. In my state, you don't need speed detection devices to do this. It's called "Impeding the Flow of Traffic".

I had a State Trooper tell me once, when talking about reason to stop a vehicle, "56 is Speeding and 54 is Impeding." Gotta love the Trooper mentality.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Just once, but the driver turned out to be a 89 year old man with Alzheimers who had been missing since 2 days before. He was going 18 in a 55. No ticket.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    1181. Minimum speed regulations.
    (a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.
    (b) Whenever a minimum speed limit has been established as authorized in sections sixteen hundred twenty or sixteen hundred forty-two, no person shall drive at a speed less than such minimum speed limit except when entering upon or preparing to exit from the highway upon which such a minimum speed limit has been established, when preparing to stop, or when necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.
    I've only written this section twice. Once for a road-rage incident in which a car was "brake checking" another vehicle repeatedly, and I wrote it to a drunk driver who was slowly weaving all over the road. There were numerous other tickets written, as you can probably imagine.

There were a few other occasions where I've stopped cars for going too slow a few times, but did not feel that a ticket was necessary. Generally they were 15 to 20 mph under the posted limit with fluctuating speed and other factors. Most were people who were lost, and I helped them with directions. I've also had a few erratic drivers who were very tired and just needed to switch drivers.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I've made a couple stops but didn't write any tickets. I just don't have that "Trooper Mentality."
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Thread Information