Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Female Cops

hmichelle1125 is offline Rookie

Female Cops

What is it like for police women? Do they get treated equally by other cops? By citizens? Do they get just as much respect? Are there really any differences at all?

I haven't really seen or heard of too many police women in my area, and because of that I can't help but feel nervous about becoming one, haha.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm sure several of our female verified police officers will be along shortly to answer your question.

Welcome to the site!
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Women field officers are not big on the hiring list at my agency. We are a bit stuck in the past. I don't have a problem with it at all as long as the officer can hold their own as much as any officer male or female.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Move a little further west and try Washington. My daughter is an officer with a large agency here and she is dynamite.

Car 4
    masakatsu likes this.
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

hmichelle1125 is offline Rookie
    Washington's not a bad idea, actually! I have a lot of family from there. I've been keeping my eyes out for places I'd possibly like to move in order to have the best experience with my career, I'll add WA to the list

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    If they pull their weight and handle business, they're treated just like everyone else.

If they try to use being a female to try to get promoted, or to threaten to sue if they're fired for being useless, they're below scum.
    Napalm likes this.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesCopPodz View Post
    If they pull their weight and handle business, they're treated just like everyone else.

If they try to use being a female to try to get promoted, or to threaten to sue if they're fired for being useless, they're below scum.
    This. I've worked with female officers that were great officers and assets to the team and others who simply disrupted things and ducked any responsibility. In short -- just like the men. The most effective officers use all their talents and characteristics to do their job well. That can absolutely include femininity.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Cops are cops. Those doing the job of a cop may not be a cop. Sex, race, religion, ect is not a determining factor.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Cops are cops. Those doing the job of a cop may not be a cop. Sex, race, religion, ect is not a determining factor.
    ^^^^ This!! There are plenty of male cops that are worthless and there are a lot of female cops that are rock stars when it comes to policing. As long as the officer pulls their weight and I can depend on them when shit hits the fan, I'm all for them being a cop
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    Worked with female officers and detectives over two decades. Several were academy classmates. Being a female fades away amongst the males when she does her job, and doesn't whine like a spoiled sister.

Those who stand out will complain of victimhood in the workplace, carry a lawyers card in plain view, and will file an IA complaint on another officer telling a raunchy joke. This type has no sense of humor, cannot be trusted and tries to lead co workers into a confrontation with the brass. Call her Typhoid Mary, she seeks a discrimination suit and a hefty settlement to retire with.
    Napalm likes this.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

abom334 is offline Every Meth Head's nightmare
    Verified LEO
    I work with a few females. One in particular i feel more comfortable with her watching my back than alot of the male's at my agency.The women in law enforcement absolutely have to have tough skin. In my opinion its complacency that's the real problem for Officer Safety. If your a real prissy feminine type, leave it at home and hide it on the road.
    "Fear not the night. Fear that which walks the night. And *I* am that which walks the night. But only evil need fear me …and gentle souls sleep safe in their beds…because I walk the night".- Dave Grossman

Bjohnson63 is offline King of the Shit Bucket
    Verified LEO
    Around here its a lot easier to get hired if your a female. As for treatment. As said by others you will be judged by your peers on your ability to do the job, not by your sex. Also cops have a rather sick sense of humor. If you can't handle the humor, you probably are getting into the wrong profession.

Checkman is offline What's the nearest cross street?
    Verified LEO
    I've worked with some good female officers in the past and currently. I've seen female officers treated badly by some members of the public because they are females. Usually older folks who just can't accept the fact that it's the 21st century. But I've been treated badly by people because I'm short, because I have male pattern baldness and because I'm a cop and spoiling their fun. We're not firemen. We represent authority to many people and we're not considered heros by many of our customers so they're going to treat you shitty regardless of your sex, skin color, religion and so on. To do this job means no thin skin. Male or female.

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    If I wanted to be liked, I would've been a fireman.

People will hate you because you are a cop. They will say anything they can to try and get under your skin and provoke you. You will be propositioned for sex, threatened with rape and sodomy, and made fun of because you are a woman.

As far as your co-workers go, everyone here has nailed it. Most guys don't care if you're a woman as long as you do your job. Cops have a sick sense of humor, you better develop one because if you run to a supervisor every time you're offended you'll have no friends. That's a two way street through, dish it out as good as you take it. You'll be one of the "guys."

I worked with a a guy who was 6'2" and would stand over you watching you roll around fighting with someone. His only contribution would be to pepper spray you both and watch you finish the fight while you're incapacitated from OC. I also worked with a woman who was 5'2" and 110 pounds with her gear on, and she would dive into a fight with you and give everything she had (and she could dish it out.) Usually along with a string of curses that would make sailors blush. Guess who I'd go through any door with? It has nothing to do with sex or size, but whether your heart was in the game and you give it everything you have.
    Napalm likes this.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post

People will hate you because you are a cop. They will say anything they can to try and get under your skin and provoke you. You will be propositioned for sex, threatened with rape and sodomy, and made fun of because you are a woman.
    QFT.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post

As far as your co-workers go, everyone here has nailed it. Most guys don't care if you're a woman as long as you do your job. Cops have a sick sense of humor, you better develop one because if you run to a supervisor every time you're offended you'll have no friends. That's a two way street through, dish it out as good as you take it. You'll be one of the "guys."

I worked with a a guy who was 6'2" and would stand over you watching you roll around fighting with someone. His only contribution would be to pepper spray you both and watch you finish the fight while you're incapacitated from OC. I also worked with a woman who was 5'2" and 110 pounds with her gear on, and she would dive into a fight with you and give everything she had (and she could dish it out.) Usually along with a string of curses that would make sailors blush. Guess who I'd go through any door with? It has nothing to do with sex or size, but whether your heart was in the game and you give it everything you have.
    What he said.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Xiphos nailed it.

I work with two females on patrol.

One is beyond worthless, not because of her gender, because she's lazy.

The other I'd storm the gates of hell with, armed with only a bucket of water.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    Xiphos nailed it.

I work with two females on patrol.

One is beyond worthless, not because of her gender, because she's lazy.

The other I'd storm the gates of hell with, armed with only a bucket of water.
    And let me guess which one gets promoted...

I'll say it again. I've worked with some great cops who happened to be female. And I've worked with some people issued badges and collecting a paycheck for being a police officer who, quite frankly, should be prosecuted for embezzlement because they're that useless. I can say the same about men. I think the females just stick out more because there are fewer to hide in the middle of, if that makes sense.

You want to be one of the good cops? Do your job. Do it right, and do it to the best of your ability. Don't blame errors or failings on anyone or anything but the simple fact that you screwed up or were wrong. Use all of your talents and skills to do your job; don't use your gender (or race, or age, or ethnicity, or whatever else you care to name, for that matter) to get away with things or excuse mistakes. If you do that -- you'll be fine.

There are things a woman can do that a man can't -- including shortcutting a lot of macho bullshit with some people. I've seen a guy on the verge of attacking anyone around them suddenly become meek as a kitten because a confident woman told him to cut the crap out, in that "momma voice." There's absolutely nothing wrong, and a whole lot right, about using someone's conditioning like that to handle a scene. On the other end, I've seen officers so unwilling to take control of a situation that they might as well have stayed in the station. But they're not called on it and the problem doesn't get dealt with because the brass is so afraid of the potential discrimination suit... That's the problem behavior.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

berserk is offline The reason they do psych evals
    Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    I'm sure several of our female verified police officers will be along shortly to answer your question.
    or....

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Being a cop is being a cop....you either can do the job or not. Both sexes have attributes that can make them good at their job.

I dont find being a woman has been an issue in this job..Ive been treated fairly and well by the people Ive worked with in my 9 years. The public treats me no differently really...they either hate me or love me which is based on my uniform not my sex.

Go for some ride-alongs....with different departments and with male and female officers....see if it is what you really want to do. It is NOT like television.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information