Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2

Animals as passengers

I snapped this at a red light. This infuriates me. Animals riding in the drivers lap. Same goes for animals in the bed of a pickup.

Can you write a ticket for either of those?
    To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    careless operation of a motor vehicle - Any person operating a motor vehicle on the public roads of this state shall drive in a careful and prudent manner, so as not to endanger the life, limb, or property of any person.

I don't consider an animal in your lap a "careful and prudent manner"... how much does THAT slow down your reaction time/create blind spots/etc.
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Twan007 View Post
    careless operation of a motor vehicle - Any person operating a motor vehicle on the public roads of this state shall drive in a careful and prudent manner, so as not to endanger the life, limb, or property of any person.
    Pretty much the same here but it's called "Careless Driving". That's about the only law I can think of that would cover it.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    It's not illegal here, but it is annoying.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    If we can articulate that the driver was distracted by the animal, we can cite them for such.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    What Rhino said.

With that said, the ultra liberal courts in my area won't take a citation for something like that unless the person is letting the dog actually drive.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    My baby rides in the back of the SUV and not in the bed of the truck. (the dog too)
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    unless the person is letting the dog actually drive.
    To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Failure to Drive with Due Care

169.14 SPEED LIMITS, ZONES; RADAR.

Subdivision 1. Duty to drive with due care. No person shall drive a vehicle on a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions. Every driver is responsible for becoming and remaining aware of the actual and potential hazards then existing on the highway and must use due care in operating a vehicle. In every event speed shall be so restricted as may be necessary to avoid colliding with any person, vehicle or other conveyance on or entering the highway in compliance with legal requirements and the duty of all persons to use due care.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

JLK
    JLK is offline Protecting Those That Can't Protect Themselves
    Verified LEO
    devote full attention to driving and/or lap driving.
    when i lived in california i had a snake named dawg that like to ride with his head out the window. he also like to watch tv.

"A strong man stands up for himself. A stronger man stands up for others."
    Ben

The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented
    on his wearing his sidearm. "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you
    expecting trouble?" "No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have
    brought my rifle."
    (just stole this one hope you don't mind)

The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant,
    it is just that they know so much that isn't so.
    President Ronald Reagan

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    I'd never win a conviction here unless I saw the vehicle do something stupid and the dog was the cause.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Annoys the living day lights out of me but no law against it unless there is a crash, then I am sure I could find something
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

berserk is offline The reason they do psych evals
    Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    No law against it here. I wouldn't try to stretch careless driving to cover it (which reads about the same as what has already been posted) unless there was some significant bad driving.

The city where I worked before this had a law called "acts prohibited" that specifically applied to animals in the lap, putting on makeup, and a couple other things.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    In the lap, I can make the case for reckless driving because the critter will interfere with operation of the vehicle controls.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    In the lap, I can make the case for reckless driving because the critter will interfere with operation of the vehicle controls.

SEC. 63-3-1201. Reckless driving.
    Any person who drives any vehicle in such a manner as to indicate either a wilful or a wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty of reckless driving. Reckless driving shall be considered a greater offense than careless driving.

Hey, a pet is property, right?
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Badge17 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    The ticket won't hold up in court. Its easier to stop them for another reason and write that ticket and then warn them about the animal.

I once stopped a man for failure to signal changing lanes, when I walked up he had a rather large snake around his shoulders. Just told him to put the snake away and pretty much ran back to my car and took off... I don't like snakes.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    Any person who drives any vehicle in such a manner as to indicate either a wilful or a wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty of reckless driving. Reckless driving shall be considered a greater offense than careless driving.

A pet's property, yep -- or load and/or passenger, right? That's why I'd use this VA code instead of the general reckless:

§ 46.2-855. Driving with driver's view obstructed or control impaired.
    A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a vehicle when it is so loaded, or when there are in the front seat such number of persons, as to obstruct the view of the driver to the front or sides of the vehicle or to interfere with the driver's control over the driving mechanism of the vehicle.
    (emphasis added)
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

abom334 is offline Every Meth Head's nightmare
    Verified LEO
    Obstructed view or careless driving, depending on what you can articulate.
    "Fear not the night. Fear that which walks the night. And *I* am that which walks the night. But only evil need fear me …and gentle souls sleep safe in their beds…because I walk the night".- Dave Grossman

warrants 1 is offline Cuffing & Stuffing for 12 years now...
    Verified LEO
    We dont have a law on the books that specifically addresses loose critters, but I wish we did. Here in South Carolina there are A LOT of ppl who drive with a dog in their laps. Im not sure I would write careless operation inless the car was endangering others on the road. Im just waiting for one to go flying out the window.

McCrackhd is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post

I take offense to this, sir! My pets are part of the family, not property!
    YOUR ATTENTION, DO I F@#%ING HAVE IT?

I swear to Christ, if I survive this I'm gonna dance a jig!

RMFT-Bama fans get it

The views and opinions expressed on this site are not mine. They belong to my alter ego, Mathazar. Therefore, only Mathazar and his two brothers should be held responsible for the crap that is posted on this site under my name.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information